Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock Up Randle

Lock Up Randle

Ever since the Lakers didn't excercise Randle's contract for next year, a switch has went off in him and I think he's found his niche in the game. Yesterday's performance against Embiid and the Sixers convinced me that Randle is for real and that he is the perfect small ball center in today's NBA. I think Ingram is still our most improved player so far, but Randle has to be the most surprising. He has fought back out of his slump and continued to improve his game in all aspects, especially on defense. I am very surprised and I think he should be part of our long-term and we should give him a 12-14 mil dollar extension. He is a restricted free agent next year so we can match any contract he's offered, and I think we should. Randle is for real!
    Last edited by PurplePride323; 12-08-2017 at 09:21 PM.

See here's the thing, I've always been a huge Julius Randle supporter. I've even seen the potential on defense before this year, I've actually argued with posters about his potential on defense and the potential he has to add a jump shot previous to this year.

With that being said, for the first time since Julius Randle was drafted I'm starting to think the lakers might need to go in a different direction.. To me, it's a bad sign when players start to play much much better during a contract year. He got into the best shape of his life this year, improved drastically on defense, improved on his outside shot. To me, the fact that it's all coming at once leads me to believe that he might just be working hard for the money. I could be wrong, but I think it's suspicious at the very least, the "pay me" jacket that he wore to a game was also very suspicious. If he's gonna continue to put in the work then I'm all for resigning this guy because I think if he really works hard he can be a very good player, but I'm just worried that he might take the money and stop putting in the effort tbh.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    See here's the thing, I've always been a huge Julius Randle supporter. I've even seen the potential on defense before this year, I've actually argued with posters about his potential on defense and the potential he has to add a jump shot previous to this year.

With that being said, for the first time since Julius Randle was drafted I'm starting to think the lakers might need to go in a different direction.. To me, it's a bad sign when players start to play much much better during a contract year. He got into the best shape of his life this year, improved drastically on defense, improved on his outside shot. To me, the fact that it's all coming at once leads me to believe that he's just working hard for the money. I could be wrong, but I think it's suspicious at the very least, the "pay me" jacket that he wore to a game was also very suspicious. If he's gonna continue to put in the work then I'm all for resigning this guy because I think if he really works hard he can be a very good player, but I'm just worried that he might take the money and stop putting in the effort tbh.

yep yep yep

the thread title should have been "Ship him out now before his value crashes"

With that being said, for the first time since Julius Randle was drafted I'm starting to think the lakers might need to go in a different direction.. To me, it's a bad sign when players start to play much much better during a contract year. He got into the best shape of his life this year, improved drastically on defense, improved on his outside shot. To me, the fact that it's all coming at once leads me to believe that he might just be working hard for the money. I could be wrong, but I think it's suspicious at the very least, the "pay me" jacket that he wore to a game was also very suspicious. If he's gonna continue to put in the work then I'm all for resigning this guy because I think if he really works hard he can be a very good player, but I'm just worried that he might take the money and stop putting in the effort tbh.

This is what I've been saying, totally agree.

I do think he's for real now, two big servings of humble pie did him good. Too bad it's too late for him in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride323 View Post
    Ever since the Lakers didn't excercise Randle's contract for next year, a switch has went off in him and I think he's found his niche in the league. Yesterday's performance against Embiid and the Sixers convinced me that Randle is for real and that he is the perfect small ball center in today's NBA. I think Ingram is still our most improved player so far, but Randle has to be the most surprising. He has fought back out of his slump and continued to improve his game in all aspects, especially on defense. I am very surprised and I think he should be part of our long-term and we should give him a 12-14 mil dollar extension. He is a restricted free agent next year so we can match any contract he's offered, and I think we should. Randle is for real!
    Which is it gonna be? Not even a week ago you started a thread saying the Lakers should sign both PG & DMC, now you've started a thread saying the Lakers should lock up Randle. Well in order for the Lakers to sign both DMC & PG they have to get out from Randles contract completely. In other words, you can't get DMC & PG and also keep Randle.

Hes done basically exactly what we wanted from seasons start: played himself into actual value. Idk if its a contract year thing or a things are finally clicking for him thing but his value is as high as its ever been. If they really wanna chase the stars next offseason they might as well sell high on randle (And clarkson for that matter, hes also played himself into better value this season) and get some returning assets to mayne package w a luol deng or rebuild our draft pick stash.

Randle has grown on me this year (FINALLY!) And it will hurt to see him go but it'll hurt a heck of a lot more if we lose him for nothing in free agency (esp if we strike on the stars)

UHGREED. Get him out now.

"If you a dawg, be a dawg!"

Our projected cap space for next year is over 70 million dollars. We all know Lopez and KCP won't be back next year, so just their contracts alone free up $40 mil. With that being said, we can sign two max contracts and still extend Randle. He's already accounting for $5 million against the cap, so a $12 mil extension would put us at a $7 million cap hit. Also we can stretch out Deng's contract or find ways to terminate a chunk of it to free up additional room. Who knows what the Lakers will do. I'm just saying what I see, and that is that Randle deserves an extension.

Ball- Clarkson
    George- Hart
    Ingram- Brewer
    Nance- Kuzma
    Cousins- Randle

If that's not a championship contending team, I don't know what is.

There's no spot for Randle on this team... Kuzma is the future at the 4 for us and Randle is undersized at the 5... I give him a lot of credit for digging in late against Embiid, but he didn't actually do a good job, he just help on enough so that we could pull out the W. He'll always struggle against bigger 5's and he's not our best option at the 4 as he can't stretch the floor.

He turns out to be a Dray lite in a couple of years -- that'd be a total bummer. But yeah, two things:

1. Depends on how much he will be asking
    Jordan Clarkson type of contract tops -- then we ha have a deal

2. He has to agree that he will continue to play off the bench. This is where he plays at his best.

But I've got to agree with vinyl as well.
    Sell high while you still can. Julius Randle is definitely a hot commodity right now if you try and trade him today.
    SHOW

Did he kill someone?

Don't know where you came up with the Lakers projected cap space being $70 million. Must be that damn Google thing MLGA was talking about, at least the same sites.

Salary cap is projected to be at $102. As of right now Lakers already have $51 million committed in 2018 for Deng, JC, BI, Ball, LNJ, Kuzma & Hart only.

That's w/o picking up Zubacs & Bryant's option. Between both it's another $3 million so I expect them to be picked up so that takes is to $54 million.

Now Randle has a $12 million cap hold so that takes the Lakers cap to $66 million leaving only $36 million in cap space as of right now.

If Lakers were to extend, waive & stretch Deng it would give the team about an extra $15 million in cap space giving the Lakers close to $50 million. Still about $11 million short to sign both DMC & PG. Both JC & Randle are taking up $12 million in cap space so 1 will have to go in order to sign both DMC & PG.

JC is still locked up at $12 million (below market value) for 2 more years after this one and has a defined role on the team. There is still uncertainty about how much the market is gonna set Randles next contract to be, so how much would the Lakers be willing to match.

Remember this scenario has the Lakers signing DMC, how many mins does DMC play? How many mins does Kuzma play? How many does that leave JR? For the amount of mins that will be available at the reserve frontcourt spot Randle will be way too expensive to keep. We're talking about $17-20 million a year. It's really a no brainer when the team decides between dumping JC or Randle in order to sign both DMC & PG. Randle has to go.

Hope this helps....
    Last edited by McAllen Tx; 12-09-2017 at 02:49 AM.

If we're thinking of trading Randle, I'd like a pure shooter who could replace KCP or someone legit to play behind Ingram
    SHOW

Quote Originally Posted by Mave1002 View Post
    If we're thinking of trading Randle, I'd like a pure shooter who could replace KCP or someone legit to play behind Ingram
    IMO the best route to go for trading Randle is a 1st - either in 2018 or 19. If the Lakers do trade him for a pure shooter now his contract he would only be able to count about $2-3 million against next season's cap. Your boy Luke Kennard fits the bill but the problem there is that his contract comes up the same year as Ball, Kuzma & Hart.

That wouldn't be good. Too many decisions on too many players at one time. IMO it would be better to get a draft pick cause his extension would fall either a year or 2 after them three are up for extensions.

As much as I like Randle, his stock is going up and he will ask for a big contract, so it's a good idea selling him.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast