Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 178 of 295 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228278 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 4412
    Jump on Robertson of you get a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    Take this FWIW but Michael Kay from the Yes network said Darvish turned down a 7 / 160 from the Yankees. Yankees pulled the offer after 48 hours when Darvish didnt answer. They would have traded Robertson to make room. Hard to believe this.
    I agree with CP here. If that offer was really on the table, he would have taken it. I personally don't think that he sniffs anything close to that. That number was probably "leaked out" because he has no offers and they are trying to inflate his value by putting out a fake offer/number.

I remember a "leak" with Chase Headley a few years back that he had a 4/65 offer on the table. Less than two weeks later he signed for 4/52 with the Yankees. The ploy didn't work back then, and it's not going to work with this.
    Last edited by thawv; 01-12-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I agree with CP here. If that offer was really on the table, he would have taken it. I personally don't think that he sniffs anything close to that. That number was probably "leaked out" because he has no offers and they are trying to inflate his value by putting out a fake offer/number.

I remember a "leak" with Chase Headley a few years back that he had a 4/65 offer on the table. Less than two weeks later he signed for 4/52 with the Yankees. The ploy didn't work back then, and it's not going to work with this.
    Cliff notes version, if the Yankees signed Darvish without trading Robertson, Darvish's contract would be 160 mill but in actually it would cost the Yankees around 70+ million in luxury tax penalties. So in actuality, Darvish contract would be closer to 220 or mill after the LT penalties. Plus the yankees would have lost their 2nd/5th rd picks and lose $1mill n international slot money. And with the Yankees being a multi-time offender, other signings would be even more expensive. (All this was laid out by Jayson Stark on MLB Now yesterday.)

So, I buying the idea that the number was leaked out to help Yu Darvish.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Cliff notes version, if the Yankees signed Darvish without trading Robertson, Darvish's contract would be 160 mill but in actually it would cost the Yankees around 70+ million in luxury tax penalties. So in actuality, Darvish contract would be closer to 220 or mill after the LT penalties. Plus the yankees would have lost their 2nd/5th rd picks and lose $1mill n international slot money. And with the Yankees being a multi-time offender, other signings would be even more expensive. (All this was laid out by Jayson Stark on MLB Now yesterday.)

Seems pretty obvious that the Yankees wouldn't sign Darvish and not make a trade to get below the tax line. And Robertson would be easy to move.

Doesn't mean the offer wasn't made.

You know it!! The Yankees have gone over every year since the CB tax was put in place. I was really under the impression that they were going to do whatever they can to get under the 196 million number, and restart their clock. Maybe they're not that concerned as they have a top 5 farm system and are ready to win right now.

I very much think that the offer is fake.
    They're like $18M under right now. Cot's has them at $178.6M.

You know it!! The Yankees have gone over every year since the CB tax was put in place. I was really under the impression that they were going to do whatever they can to get under the 196 million number, and restart their clock. Maybe they're not that concerned as they have a top 5 farm system and are ready to win right now.

I very much think that the offer is fake.

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    Seems pretty obvious that the Yankees wouldn't sign Darvish and not make a trade to get below the tax line. And Robertson would be easy to move.

Doesn't mean the offer wasn't made.
    I have no doubt an offer was made, probably before the Stanton trade happen.
    Screw sabermetics.

Now THIS may very well be true. But if the offer was recent, I'm gonna say it's BS.

Honestly, why would he not sign that?

Now THIS may very well be true. But if the offer was recent, I'm gonna say it's BS.

Depends on when the offer was made if it was. Perhaps it didn't have an opt out and he thought he could make more AAV. Perhaps it happened, as you said, before Stanton. Maybe he thinks he could get more? I don't know, but I tend to believe there is some fire where there is some smoke and I bet there's something about that report being on point.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Because he thinks a better offer will come?

There's a narrative forming out there that this offseason has seen a big market correction, and FAs need to lower their expectations. That seems way premature to me. There are sure to be some spring-training discounts for some of the second and third tier guys (like every year), but until we see even one bargain on a top tier guy (Darvish, Arrieta, Martinez, Hosmer etc.), I'm going to continue to believe that those guys are going to get their money.

The guys that have signed so far certainly haven't come at bargain prices.

I doubt any team made a seven year offer to any player in early December. Who knows? Maybe they did, but I'd be surprised.

7/160 would be a great offer for Darvish. I'd think that he would accept that.

There's a narrative forming out there that this offseason has seen a big market correction, and FAs need to lower their expectations. That seems way premature to me. There are sure to be some spring-training discounts for some of the second and third tier guys (like every year), but until we see even one bargain on a top tier guy (Darvish, Arrieta, Martinez, Hosmer etc.), I'm going to continue to believe that those guys are going to get their money.

Agreed

2017-18 Cubs Offseason Thread: Winter Meetings Edition

Regardless of a slow market, I'd be really surprised if he beats 7/160. He'll probably have a higher AAV, but I really doubt he gets 7 years as a 31 year old pitcher that has had TJ and other injuries.

Generally, I agree. The top guys are still gonna get paid. I do think we'll see shorter term deals than in the past, but the same or higher AAV's. I'd be shocked if any pitcher got 7 years and I don't really expect 6 years for any pitcher either. I could maybe see 6 for Darvish from Minnesota. They'll likely have to go beyond other teams to get him. Hosmer could get 7 and JD Martinez could get 6.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I doubt any team made a seven year offer to any player in early December. Who knows? Maybe they did, but I'd be surprised.

7/160 would be a great offer for Darvish. I'd think that he would accept that.
    Agreed.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that it is highly unlikely (though not impossible) the Yankees are going to sign Darvish.

As for the Twins, I could see them being desperate enough to offer 7yrs but I hope they are smarter then that.
    Screw sabermetics.

Arb deals are starting to come in. The Cubs got Hendricks and Wilson done this morning. I'm guessing by the end of the day they'll finish them all and will know exactly how much they have to spend under the tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk