Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 184 of 295 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 4412

2017-18 Cubs Offseason Thread: Winter Meetings Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Overheard at the Convention, more buzzed than drunk, saying something along the lines of ďI hate playing LF. People donít understand how hard it is for meĒ
    Third floor, sneaking out of that Dempster thing around 9:30 last night. He sounded pretty sincere.
    I can see this. It must be frustrating. He hasn't been doing it that long. He's on this huge stage and is getting ripped all the time for his defense when he's still had fairly limited opportunity out there and he's obviously not naturally gifted at it. Overall, I think his defense is better than he gets credit for, but it's still not good.

I think he's going to have a great 2018 and I hope the NL has the DH within a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    Good that they are out bad that they got the best pitcher of the group
    Eh, no they didn't.

Good that they are out bad that they got the best pitcher of the group
    Cobb & Darvish have had surgeries. I think they should go get Jake back at this point....

Quote Originally Posted by Cubsin18 View Post
    Cobb & Darvish have had surgeries. I think they should go get Jake back at this point....
    Given the choice btwn the two Iíd take DArvish for sure, but in reality itís pretty close. Arrieta is trending down, while DArvish is more of an injury risk. IMO at this stage of there career DArvish has more upside for dominance, but Arrieta still has upside too. Ultimately Iíd wna sign the guy whos cheaper and/or signs for less years. All things equal Iíd still take Yu tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Yah, I think i'll ignore random hearsay about Schwarber's feelings on LF
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    Eh, no they didn't.
    Really? Care to elaborate ?

Yankees supposedly think they can get Yu Darvish at around "80-90" million range, according to John Harper.

Considering 4/110 has been thrown around, there is no chance the Yankees get Darvish for less than $100 mill.

With that said, the Cubs would be glad to take David Robertson off their hands for cheap if they want to pursue Darvish.
    Screw sabermetics.

Really? Care to elaborate ?
    As recently as 2017, Cole pitched the worst of that group.
    Coleís gonna give up a shitton homers in Minute Maid. Should be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    As recently as 2017, Cole pitched the worst of that group.
    Coleís gonna give up a shitton homers in Minute Maid. Should be fun to watch.
    Gerrit Cole has had one season in which he gave up a lot of home runs and it was last year. He throws a healthy amount of GB% (career number of around 47%) and hasn't ever gone over the 10% FB/HR prior to 2017. Prior to last year the most bombs he gave up in a season was...11 (and even in fractured seasons wasn't on pace to give up more than about 15 or so). He's unlikely to give up a "shitton" of home runs based on what he has been. He may not be the best pitcher the Astros have, but with any sort of bounce back, he'll be one of the better ones.

A 15% HR/FB% is flukey. He's unlikely to repeat that.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-14-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    With that said, the Cubs would be glad to take David Robertson off their hands for cheap if they want to pursue Darvish.
    Yankees trading David Robertson was something that started on here. They arenít going to trade him.

Really wish teh Cubs had signed Addison Reed. What a steal by Minnesota

I'm starting to think that the Cubs are finished with the pen. I'm pretty sure that they believe that Wilson will return to old form, and are hoping that Maples will figure out how to throw strikes. If he can just throw strikes at an "average" rate, he could have a closer future.

Sign Yu or Cobb and let's get spring training started!

Also, it's funny that people actually bought the 7/160 fake offer leak by Yu's camp. Now the Yanks think they can get him for 5/80-90!

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I'm starting to think that the Cubs are finished with the pen. I'm pretty sure that they believe that Wilson will return to old form, and are hoping that Maples will figure out how to throw strikes. If he can just throw strikes at an "average" rate, he could have a closer future.

Sign Yu or Cobb and let's get spring training started!

Also, it's funny that people actually bought the 7/160 fake offer leak by Yu's camp. Now the Yanks think they can get him for 5/80-90!
    I think it's likely that they are done with the pen until July.

I'm guessing the plan is to sign a starting pitcher, maybe also bring back Avila, and go to spring training, unless that get a crazy value on another signing or trade.

It won't be the Cubs, but some team is going to give up very little for McCutchen and get a 4-5 win player in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Yankees trading David Robertson was something that started on here. They arenít going to trade him.
    Considering Robertson is a FA after 2018 and that is another $13 mill off their books to play with for next off-season, I don't see them parting with Robertson to sign Darvish and eliminating themselves from next FA class. But in the case that the Yankees legitimately want Darvish, I would be glad for the Cubs to take Robertson off the Yankees hands. I think Yankees moutpieces (Kay/Harper) are really overstating the NYY interest in Darvish.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Considering Robertson is a FA after 2018 and that is another $13 mill off their books to play with for next off-season, I don't see them parting with Robertson to sign Darvish and eliminating themselves from next FA class. But in the case that the Yankees legitimately want Darvish, I would be glad for the Cubs to take Robertson off the Yankees hands. I think Yankees moutpieces (Kay/Harper) are really overstating the NYY interest in Darvish.
    How do the Yankees eliminate themselves from next years FA class if they trade Robertson and sign Darvish? If they traded Robertson it would be so that they can sign Darvish and stay under the luxury tax this year. So that would not eliminate them from the FA class next year.