Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 151 of 205 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 3068
  1. #2251
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,373

    2017-18 Cubs Offseason Thread: Winter Meetings Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Banks View Post
    Fair enough- thanks for the reply- on that note, would it make more sense to go Happ for Yelich and Prado?
    I'm all for Yelich, and if they pair him with a contract like Prado or Castro that would allow a team to acquire him at a lower trade cost. It just depends on if Miami wants to save more money or make a real baseball trade. I suspect that they care more about the money.

  2. #2252
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    31
    Is it possible next year to sign both Harper and Machado. Harper and Bryant are good friends and Alomora and Machado are good friends and train together in the off season. Would this be possible?

  3. #2253
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf_Nut_8 View Post
    Is it possible next year to sign both Harper and Machado. Harper and Bryant are good friends and Alomora and Machado are good friends and train together in the off season. Would this be possible?
    Possible in the sense that there is no salary cap. But highly, highly unlikely. I mean less than 1% chance. Not going to happen. Be happy if the Cubs get one of them.

  4. #2254
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf_Nut_8 View Post
    Is it possible next year to sign both Harper and Machado. Harper and Bryant are good friends and Alomora and Machado are good friends and train together in the off season. Would this be possible?
    Unless we can salary dump Heyward, I donít think itís possible to sign both Machado and Harper.

    If there was no Heyward around, his $25M (actually set at $22.5M) AAV would just go to Machado and weíd sign Harper like we are intending to do on a roster that contains Heyward.

  5. #2255
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Possible in the sense that there is no salary cap. But highly, highly unlikely. I mean less than 1% chance. Not going to happen. Be happy if the Cubs get one of them.

    Except, there is a salary cap.

    It's more like a beanie, but a beanie is a cap.

    At a spending level, punishments kick in. Therefore, MLB is a cap league.

    To the previous question, though.

    Yeah, they can sign both Machado and Harper. If they wan to lose international spending money and see their first draft pick get lowered every year for being over the salary caps.

  6. #2256
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    20,394
    Heyward really wasnít that terrible against right handed pitching last year. 94 wRC+ suggests he was nearly average. Is it good enough for his contract? No, but considering he was at 75 in 2016, it makes me think his WAR rating wasnít really an accurate representation of the kind of player he is right now. That is, I donít believe he declined at all and believe he was in fact much better (than 2016). His WAR basically was lower last year because FG rated him as being a much worse defender last year than in years previous. My guess is it was a weird sample as opposed to something we should anticipate. I think itís quite plausible that Heyward gives us at least 2.5 WAR next year. I think the floor could be higher in CF if he can be GG material there too.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 01-03-2018 at 06:16 PM.

  7. #2257
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    You can't extrapolate. I've already said that. That's not how those numbers work. Rates don't continue in a vacuum. Happ's numbers fell a bunch in the 2nd half. His trend was down, not neutral.

    Heyward has been the worst overall OF'er in the last 2 years. I won't disagree. He still needs to start for a little while (not every day, but many days) as it's best for the Cubs in many ways if he gets back. He won't cost the division starting for a little while, and if he gets back to .320 wOBA and elite defense...he'd be a 4 fWAR player. If he gets to 2.5 fWAR, he's probably tradeable.
    I understand about extrapolating their numbers.

    Why does he need to start for awhile over Happ or any other option? Is 1100 PA's not enough sample size for you? Honestly.......do you see something that I don't see?

    I was so hoping that after reinventing himself at the plate, it would have made him a better hitter. He got worse. I don't watch the games with a calculator. So when so many on here watch him play, what is it about him that you feel he should be a starter. Please don't say defense. He plays one of the least significant positions on the field. You have to have something that you see that makes you think he should be a starter.

    Not trying to sound like a jag off. I would like to know what you see that I don't. I've been around for 55 years watching baseball, and I just don't see it.
    Last edited by thawv; 01-03-2018 at 06:37 PM.

  8. #2258
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,641
    Quote Originally Posted by tim815 View Post
    Except, there is a salary cap.

    It's more like a beanie, but a beanie is a cap.

    At a spending level, punishments kick in. Therefore, MLB is a cap league.

    To the previous question, though.

    Yeah, they can sign both Machado and Harper. If they wan to lose international spending money and see their first draft pick get lowered every year for being over the salary caps.
    No, there is not a salary cap. A cap means a team cannot go over that amount. Their salary is "capped". In baseball teams can go over it and can go as high as they want, I think. There are serious repercussions in going over the limit allowed before penalties. But that is different then a cap. The Dodgers have worked over the limit allowed for years. So have the Yankees. So, in essence, there is not a cap.

  9. #2259
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,373
    Quote Originally Posted by tim815 View Post
    Except, there is a salary cap.

    It's more like a beanie, but a beanie is a cap.

    At a spending level, punishments kick in. Therefore, MLB is a cap league.

    To the previous question, though.

    Yeah, they can sign both Machado and Harper. If they wan to lose international spending money and see their first draft pick get lowered every year for being over the salary caps.
    There's not a cap. There's a tax. The Cubs, and many other teams will exceed the tax line in 2019. The big penalties kick in when you are well over it or are over a few years in a row. Teams are treating the tax line like a cap this year because they plan to spend past it next year.

    To answer his question, there is no chance the Cubs sign Harper and Machado. There are other teams, too.

  10. #2260
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    222
    The new CBA jacked up the penalties.

    Deny all you want.

    Was there an international cap when the Cubs wen over the international cap?

    Why yes. Yes, there was.

    They were limited in future seasons.

    If there were no punishments, the Dodgers keep Morrow. There are punishments. Those punishments occur when teams exceed cap levels.

    Teams aren't spending this off-season due to cap limits, however you want to song, dance, and revise history.

  11. #2261
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    222
    If teams go over limits, they risk losing draft positioning.

    That isn't a tax. That is a punishment.

    If teams go over a certain limit, they lose international spending money.


    That isn't a tax. It is a punishment.

  12. #2262
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    2,386
    Quote Originally Posted by tim815 View Post
    If teams go over limits, they risk losing draft positioning.

    That isn't a tax. That is a punishment.

    If teams go over a certain limit, they lose international spending money.


    That isn't a tax. It is a punishment.
    What's your point? I think everyone here is aware of how the tax works. The punishments for going into the tax are more severe now after the last CBA. Teams would like to avoid the tax if they can. It's still not a cap. You can still spend as much as you want if you are willing to accept those punishments. And teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs are very likely to go into the tax if it lands Bryce Harper. You claimed there was a cap. There is literally no salary cap. You have no argument here.

  13. #2263
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    27,777
    I would argue there is a de facto cap in place.

  14. #2264
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    222
    There is a cap. It is a soft cap. Like in the NBA, I think. (Not an NBA guy, but there's a cap teams can exceed in the Association.)

    Otherwise, the Dodgers woulds be spending like they did before.

  15. #2265
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,560
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I'm all for Yelich, and if they pair him with a contract like Prado or Castro that would allow a team to acquire him at a lower trade cost. It just depends on if Miami wants to save more money or make a real baseball trade. I suspect that they care more about the money.
    I actually want Castro ... Iíd trade almora Grimm tls plus a flyer arm for Yelich and all of Castro contract. Taking on the money should lower the cost a chunk for Yelich

    Castro steps into some of zo and tls at bats

    Say 300ish ab

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •