Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 149 of 295 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 4412
    Send Hayward to our lowest level farm team and keep him there. Maybe he won't pick up his option. A man can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Beyond pathetic. But hey, let's give him 500+ PAs again.
    No one said "hand him 500+PA's". But there's a strong argument to make that he still has more potential for a 5 win season than someone like Ian Happ, and there's enough concerns of Ian Happ's game that I'm not confident handing him 500 PA's right now, either.

I'm perfectly fine with starting Heyward off in RF as a primary guy for a while, hitting him low in the order, and seeing what comes of it. Happ can play intermittently, move him around to RF/LF/2b here or there, as well.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones-in View Post
    Send Hayward to our lowest level farm team and keep him there. Maybe he won't pick up his option. A man can dream.
    That's not allowed. He has too much service time. He'd have to agree to go down or the Cubs would need to release him from the 40 man, paying his entire contract except for the league minimum when someone else signs him.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Beyond pathetic. But hey, let's give him 500+ PAs again.
    It really is. Maybe the Cubs should look into what vitamins he may have been taking while with other teams. I know it may be grasping at straws, but there has to be some reason he went from being so okay to so bad so fast.

No body, no case.

- snoop dogg circa 2001

Looks like the Twins and Darvish are still trying to match schedules so they can meet face to face.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones-in View Post

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    No one said "hand him 500+PA's". But there's a strong argument to make that he still has more potential for a 5 win season than someone like Ian Happ, and there's enough concerns of Ian Happ's game that I'm not confident handing him 500 PA's right now, either.

I'm perfectly fine with starting Heyward off in RF as a primary guy for a while, hitting him low in the order, and seeing what comes of it. Happ can play intermittently, move him around to RF/LF/2b here or there, as well.
    Well, he has been "handed 500+ PA" the last 1.5 years. He certainly hasn't earned them. In no way shape or form does he deserve to be a starter on this team. He has done zero to refer to him as a starter. What he did in 2015 and before is completely irrelevant to what he's going to do from here on out. What he did the last two years is likely a better barometer.

There is also no evidence that Heyward is more likely to be better than Happ going forward. It's your opinion. Your opinion is not wrong because we don't know yet. But that's all it is. And you can bet your bottom dollar that if Heyward wasn't making this kind of cash, he would no doubt be on the bench next to TLS. He is being paid because of his contract. Not because of his talent.

We have seen almost 1,100 PA's by JHey and it's been about as awful as a corner OF'er can put up. Or any position for that matter. Its time for a change. Happ was about 2.5 times more productive than Heyward using WAR. I use WAR because you guys love it so much. It takes in to account just about everything. Including defense.

Again, in your opinion, how much time is he given before he's relegated to a full time spot on the bench? It's very obvious to anybody with any kind of baseball knowledge that he being in the lineup with regularity is not a baseball decision. It also not what's best for this team.
    Last edited by thawv; 01-03-2018 at 02:24 PM.

I think you need to give Heyward every opportunity to make himself tradeable without eating the entire contract. If he can play well enough to save you $50 mil in an offseason trade, that will help as they chase free agents next year.

That said, if he's not getting any better and they have 3 better outfielders, then Heyward should have to earn his playing time down the stretch and in the postseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anybody ever go to spring training? What's the deal with tickets do they sell out quickly? I'm thinking about going but haven't fully committed yet. I just got an email about a presale for Thursday, would I need to take advantage of that to secure the games?

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I think you need to give Heyward every opportunity to make himself tradeable without eating the entire contract. If he can play well enough to save you $50 mil in an offseason trade, that will help as they chase free agents next year.

That said, if he's not getting any better and they have 3 better outfielders, then Heyward should have to earn his playing time down the stretch and in the postseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty much this. He'll likely still project as the best outfielder. He's been a huge dissapointment offensively no doubt. No sugarcoating it. I still expect them to give him every chance to succeed. Giving up on him is a pretty bad option for the franchise. He's on a shorter leash at this point obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Well, he has been "handed 500+ PA" the last 1.5 years. He certainly hasn't earned them. In no way shape or form does he deserve to be a starter on this team. He has done zero to refer to him as a starter. What he did in 2015 and before is completely irrelevant to what he's going to do from here on out. What he did the last two years is likely a better barometer.

There is also no evidence that Heyward is more likely to be better than Happ going forward. It's your opinion. Your opinion is not wrong because we don't know yet. But that's all it is. And you can bet your bottom dollar that if Heyward wasn't making this kind of cash, he would no doubt be on the bench next to TLS. He is being paid because of his contract. Not because of his talent.

We have seen almost 1,100 PA's by JHey and it's been about as awful as a corner OF'er can put up. Or any position for that matter. Its time for a change. Happ was about 2.5 times more productive than Heyward using WAR. I use WAR because you guys love it so much. It takes in to account just about everything. Including defense.

Again, in your opinion, how much time is he given before he's relegated to a full time spot on the bench? It's very obvious to anybody with any kind of baseball knowledge that he being in the lineup with regularity is not a baseball decision. It also not what's best for this team.
    I'm not sure what WAR numbers you are trying to use. But fWAR is pretty much considered the best for position players. Our outfielders last year.

Happ 1.8
    Jay 1.6
    Schwarber 1.5
    Almora 1.2
    Heyward 0.9

Having Heyward be a 1 WAR player is certainly unacceptable given his contract but it's not quite as drastic as you made it out to be. What's best for this team is Heyward returning to the player he was before joining the Cubs. Or even becoming half that. If not the Cubs are stuck in an awful contract with a guy providing minimal value. This is definitely still a baseball decision. Given our current outfield options the difference between Heyward and the rest of the outfield is fairly minimal. Giving him a chance to rebound is still the most intelligent baseball decision. If he continues to **** the bed and Happ, Schwarber, and Almora all continue to improve then that conversation would shift quick. It really depends on the development of the young outfielders. Heyward could be relegated to 3 starts a week by midseason imo if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Does anybody ever go to spring training? What's the deal with tickets do they sell out quickly? I'm thinking about going but haven't fully committed yet. I just got an email about a presale for Thursday, would I need to take advantage of that to secure the games?
    The tickets do sell fast, but just like regular season games, Stubhub is a great last second option. I usually purchase one game in advance, then wing it. There are scalpers, I've even had locals just give me their extra tickets on two different occasions, once at the old park, once at the new. Also, check out when the Cubs are playing as the visitor. It's usually the only good gate for other teams, but decent seats are almost always available.

PSD New Years Resolution Challenge: Do not post about Jason Heyward

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Pretty much this. He'll likely still project as the best outfielder. He's been a huge dissapointment offensively no doubt. No sugarcoating it. I still expect them to give him every chance to succeed. Giving up on him is a pretty bad option for the franchise. He's on a shorter leash at this point obviously.

I'm not sure what WAR numbers you are trying to use. But fWAR is pretty much considered the best for position players. Our outfielders last year.

Happ 1.8
    Jay 1.6
    Schwarber 1.5
    Almora 1.2
    Heyward 0.9
    Damn. This team could really use an OF or two

I would also add that Heyward in CF needs to be a more frequent thing if he's in the lineup.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs