Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 147 of 295 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 4412
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    And I want the best hitters getting the most.
    Then what's your point or your argument? There is none. Stating that doesn't change anything I've said.

Lineup order really doesn't matter outside of putting your best players near the top. End of story.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    4/110 makes it really hard to stay under the tax. I think I read that the Cubs have $38 mil left. That brings them down to $10.5 left. They could use another reliever. Maybe a backup catcher and 5th outfielder. They'll need at least $5 mil for in season moves.
    The backup C and 5th OF are already in-house if they decide to sign Jake or Yu.

Caratini and Hannemann should fill those roles adequately.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Then what's your point or your argument? There is none. Stating that doesn't change anything I've said.

Lineup order really doesn't matter outside of putting your best players near the top. End of story.
    So youd be ok with Willy/Schwarber getting more ABs than Bryant? Im not.

2017-18 Cubs Offseason Thread: Winter Meetings Edition

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    The backup C and 5th OF are already in-house if they decide to sign Jake or Yu.

Caratini and Hannemann should fill those roles adequately.
    Caratini is fine with me, but Hannemann does not belong in MLB. If internal, Zagunis would get that spot.

If this scenario played out, you basically take last years team, replace Lackey with Chatwood, replace Davis and Rondon with Morrow and Cisheck, replace Jay with Zagunis, and Avila with Caratini.

I don't know if they are any better than last year, but they are much more expensive. I'd be disappointed with that offseason. I'd really like to see a Happ led trade for the other starting pitcher. I don't want them to sign Cobb and if they sign Darvish or Arrieta it'll be very difficult to add any other significant players. I really hope there is something out there on the trade market or they can get Darvish on an AAV below $25 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CP_414; 01-02-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Zero desire to land Arrieta at 4/110, I honestly don't want him back unless it's something stupid likd like 4/90 or 3/70. I think 2016 is what you see going forward and he just wasn't the kind of pitcher that should sniff 25M a year let alone more than that.

Wouldn't it cost the same to get Darvish signed in terms of annual salary?

A guy with far more injury history, much more mileage on his right arm career wise, far less postseason success, only a few months less younger in age, wouldn't he be an even bigger risk at 4/110?

Why not sign Jake to that contract at only four years? And keep him from going to the Cards in the process? Zero desire?
    Last edited by Vince70; 01-02-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    No Nightendale said earlier today the Cubs could be willing to go 4 / 110 for Jake.
    Something would have had to drastically change for the Cubs to do this type of deal or any deal for Arrieta. Maybe they are just playing footsie to appease Boras in future negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    Something would have had to drastically change for the Cubs to do this type of deal or any deal for Arrieta. Maybe they are just playing footsie to appease Boras in future negotiations.
    This type of deal for Arrieta or this type of deal for anyone? I'd guess they would probably do 4/110 for Darvish, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    Good to know. Not a good deal IMO to give him that kind of money even for 4 years.

I'll take Jake at 4/110. Big repertoire, has always shown the ability to get ground balls. If he can regain even a little bit of his 14/15 command, I think he'll age better than people are expecting, even if the velocity and stuff declines.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

Caratini is fine with me, but Hannemann does not belong in MLB. If internal, Zagunis would get that spot.

If this scenario played out, you basically take last years team, replace Lackey with Chatwood, replace Davis and Rondon with Morrow and Cisheck, replace Jay with Zagunis, and Avila with Caratini.

I don't know if they are any better than last year, but they are much more expensive. I'd be disappointed with that offseason. I'd really like to see a Happ led trade for the other starting pitcher. I don't want them to sign Cobb and if they sign Darvish or Arrieta it'll be very difficult to add any other significant players. I really hope there is something out there on the trade market or they can get Darvish on an AAV below $25 million.

Hannemann will likely eventually be a MLB 5th OF somewhere. His defensive acumen and speed will carry him there. That's his absolute ceiling but I think he's got that in him. That's what the 5th OF is for to me, a guy who can play all 3 spots and is the speed off the bench a lot of the times.

But you're right about the offseason. It has been for the most part a bunch of lateral moves and dependence on upside being unlocked in new environs. I'm really not thrilled with it TBH but I don't have to squint too hard to see most of the moves panning out decently.

But it's been a big pile of ****ing meh and the final pieces available to upgrade with are pitchers past their primes. Part of me wants to stay clear of them.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Hannemann will likely eventually be a MLB 5th OF somewhere. His defensive acumen and speed will carry him there. That's his absolute ceiling but I think he's got that in him. That's what the 5th OF is for to me, a guy who can play all 3 spots and is the speed off the bench a lot of the times.

But you're right about the offseason. It has been for the most part a bunch of lateral moves and dependence on upside being unlocked in new environs. I'm really not thrilled with it TBH but I don't have to squint too hard to see most of the moves panning out decently.

But it's been a big pile of ****ing meh and the final pieces available to upgrade with are pitchers past their primes. Part of me wants to stay clear of them.
    If you have Almora, Happ, and Heyward still on the roster the 5th of doesn't need to be a CF. I think Zagunis has some value. He'd be an interesting 2nd or 3rd piece in a trade for a bad team.

I'm hoping for a pitcher trade. I won't be disappointed if they sign Darvish, but I'd rather see a trade + additional moves instead of going all in financially on Darvish or Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I'll take Jake at 4/110. Big repertoire, has always shown the ability to get ground balls. If he can regain even a little bit of his 14/15 command, I think he'll age better than people are expecting, even if the velocity and stuff declines.
    Yea 4/110 for Arrieta would good w me. Hes worth the money to us, bc we need a frontline starter and he would fill that. However, Id prefer DArvish if the cost/Years were similar bc his peripherals rnt in decline and he has a better career BB% and K%.

Could Garrett Cole really fall into the cubs lap?
    #FreeYags #FreeGato #FreeCubsstuckinstl #FreeCubbieSteve.

"I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme" Isn't a Jeffy a cigarette?

I think it depends on which Cubs team in 17' you feel they are no better than. IMO, they are better than the first half Cubs if they sign Jake. And if they are not as good as the second half Cubs, is that really something to be disappointed in? They played 650+ ball after the break, with Quintana. If this team can do that (or slightly below that) , I would be very happy with the season. And they did that on basically down years from many of the young guys. The only staff change would be Chatwood for Lackey. IMO that is a gain. The pen does not have a closer, but I believe they are strengthen a little anyway. Cubs also have Maples who could be ready. Subbbing out Caratini for Avila is a bit of a drop as is Jay for Zagunis. However, they still can probably spend another $3M or so on a free agent. Maybe that person helps the bench. I would not feel too badly about the off season or the Cubs chances in 2018 if they signed Jake. (and I am not even for signing him,) I feel there are other (better) options. I am just saying if they did, it would not be a disappointing off season to me.