Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Tigers sign Fiers and fill 40 man roster

So, the Tigers signed Mike Fiers and he is now the 40th man on the 40 man roster with Leonys and Carpenter added earlier. With the Rule 5 draft and more vet's being available later we would need to remove or make adjustments to the 40 man roster. I see a couple guys that could easily be removed: Victor Alcantara (hasn't impressed at all since being acquired), Sandy Baez (always mentioned as a good prospect but no substance at all), Warwick Saupold (older than most prospects but the last one on this list I would remove), Chad Bell (older and with the signing of Fiers we don't really need him as much), Drew VerHagen (tired of waiting on said talent, wouldn't hesitate to remove). We also could go the trade route with Alex Wilson, Ian Kinsler, or Iggy to create space. Lastly, we could just remove Victor which to me seems just procedure now as I don't see him being on this roster next season.

On Mike Fiers, I like the signing. He only cost $6M for one year and there is some funky language in there that we can add a 2nd year if we want. My hope is he produces and we trade him at the deadline for prospects but at the very least, he can give us much needed innings.

Friers and Zimmerman will have a competition on who can be the shittiest starting pitcher in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Friers and Zimmerman will have a competition on who can be the shittiest starting pitcher in 2018.
    Thatís perfect for a rebuilding team.

He and Zimm could be perfect for pitching to players in the home run derby. 61 one given up last year between the two of them according to baseball-reference.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    He and Zimm could be perfect for pitching to players in the home run derby. 61 one given up last year between the two of them according to baseball-reference.
    wow lol