Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Kevin King Shut Down For Rest of Season

The Packers placed cornerback Kevin King on Injured Reserve with a shoulder injury. To take his place, they have activated defensive back Demetri Goodson from the PUP list.

King, a second-round pick, was the Packersí first pick in the 2017 draft after Green Bay moved down from No. 29 in a swap for the No. 33 selection (King) and a fourth-round choice. There were other big names on the board late in the first round, but the Packers were happy to expand their draft stockpile and land the Washington product. King only had so-so hype heading into the draft process, but he quickly turned heads with a 4.43 second 40-yard-dash, a 39.5-inch vertical leap, and the best times of any cornerback in both the three-cone drill and the 20-yard shuttle.

As a rookie, King appeared in nine games and made five starts for the Packers. Unfortunately, he was sidelined last week and team doctors have determined that he needs additional time to recover.

The advanced metrics havenít been wowed with Kingís play (he ranks 109 out of 115 qualified CBs, per Pro Football Focus) but his presence will be missed in Green Bay. Without King, the Packers will have to rely on two 2017 undrafted free agents, one 2016 UDFA, and a former sixth-round pick (Goodson) to support starters Davon House and Damarious Randall.
    profootballrumors.com

RIP Gene Wilder

at this point i hope the guy comes back and plays lights out next season. based on what i saw this year the pick is looking more miss than hit.

I thought he showed flashes of being a decent player. He was always going to be a bit of a project. I donít think anyone realistically should have expected him to come in and have the impact lattimore had. But he showed some decent things. And that shoulder injury probably hindered him a lot more than people think. Unless you have elite feet and quickness, you need to be able to get your hands on the wr. If king wasnít able to do that super well without pain, itís a tough job to do.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I thought he showed flashes of being a decent player. He was always going to be a bit of a project. I donít think anyone realistically should have expected him to come in and have the impact lattimore had. But he showed some decent things. And that shoulder injury probably hindered him a lot more than people think. Unless you have elite feet and quickness, you need to be able to get your hands on the wr. If king wasnít able to do that super well without pain, itís a tough job to do.
    Agreed. I liked what I saw and he is likely a No. 1 type CB on this team. I have liked how Randall has responded after Bears game for the most part as well. He's playing much better. I feel pretty good about the team's secondary right now tbh. Still haven't played well against good offenses, but Randall and King have been good when on the field.

Just sucks.

Hopefully he comes back stronger next season. He "looked the part" many times this season.

I think saying its more miss than hit is crazy at this point. He did a lot of tbings well. But it was a typical rookie cb season. Some bad plays were certainly mixed in there.

I have minimal confidence is our pass defense going forward tho. Randal has looked better and better but thats kinda it. We are still so soft at CB.

Ill obv hold out hope we can make a run, cause we did it last year under similar circumstances. But losing a starting Cb to an already bad unit, makes this whole thing much more unlikey.

I got to give props the kid thought. They have said he has dealt with the shoulder injury since workout in June. He never shied away from a tackle even though the hit probably hurt him more than the person he was hurting.

I was a big fan of the pick and like others have said he showed some flashes but, you have to wonder if he couldn't make the next step cause the shoulder was bothering him too much.

RIP Gene Wilder

I wouldnít say I saw enough of him to say heís gonna be a number 1. But I think I saw enough flashes to say he should at least develop into a solid number 2 guy. And he has the physical tools, especially in the right system, to develop into a number 1.

The thing I saw out of him is that I didnít love him in off man coverage. It seemed like he has a tendency to try to read and jump routes from off man and can get burnt on double moves pretty badly at times. Thatís to be expected out of most rookie corners Iíd think. College offense as a whole are fairly basic with the route tree, and even the best college WRs are mediocre route runners usually.

I thought he showed some potential as a press man guy. Heís going to need to get stronger, but he has the speed and length to be a good press guy. Unfortunately, we only saw limited snaps in press, which makes sense now, knowing that his shoulder injury was probably worse than let on.

Quote Originally Posted by alabastertubby View Post
    at this point i hope the guy comes back and plays lights out next season. based on what i saw this year the pick is looking more miss than hit.
    Really?
    Based on what I saw this season I think he will be a really good cornerback in this league, assuming he can stay healthy.