Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cardinals sign Mike Mikolas

I have no idea how good Mikolas can be. $7.5 per, they much believe in him. He did dominate in Japan as a starter though.

We need at least 2 relievers, so this is one of them.

I'd say this is a sign that the Cards are going to be out on Holland/Davis, and will look at Nicasio or a trade for a multi-year guy.

Side note. Cards train in Mikolas' home town.

Current Cards rotation and pen based on the 40 man - 19 should be on 40 man, 12 on 25 man

1. Martinez
    2. Wacha
    3. Weaver
    4. Reyes - by May at least
    5. Flaherty/Wainwright

Pen
    R - Wainwright/Flaherty - (I think Wainwright should be in the pen and lose his cutter personally)
    R - Mikolas
    R - Bowman
    R - Gant
    R - Tuivailala
    L - Cecil
    L - Lyons

Minors -
    Rotation -
    R - Alcantara
    R - Mayers
    L - Gomber

Pen -
    R - Brebbia
    R - Derian Gonzalez
    R - Lucas
    R - Wick
    L - Sherriff

They can add one more right handed reliever - I'd prefer Nicasio back. And if they want to take from the rotation or pen in a trade for a hitter, they could supplement one back in a trade for a power righty reliever. Throws 96+ with 2+ years of control.

I would like to see another lefty on a minors contract though. Especially considering we don't have any lefties in our rotation and Gomber is the only potential starter in the minors.

Nicasio is gone more by more every day another day passes according to Goold. Both he and the Cards have moved on to plan B.

According to what I am reading (Post Dispatcha and MLBTR), Miles Mikolas will be part of the starting rotation depth. Could indicate that the Cardinals anticipate 2-3 of our young pitchers being dealt in the next month.

Apparently he is going to be in our rotation.

Which makes the signing good for the price.

But then I don't know our rotation.

Martinez
    Wacha
    Reyes
    Weaver
    Flaherty
    Wainwright
    Miko
    Alcantara

They would have to move at least one of these guys before the season. Otherwise, it's two to the pen (dunno who) and one to AAA.

I can't tell what they are doing now.

Btw, local radio today said the Cards are in on both Chris Archer and Giancarlo Stanton and that the organization wants both this off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Apparently he is going to be in our rotation.

Which makes the signing good for the price.

But then I don't know our rotation.

Martinez
    Wacha
    Reyes
    Weaver
    Flaherty
    Wainwright
    Miko
    Alcantara

They would have to move at least one of these guys before the season. Otherwise, it's two to the pen (dunno who) and one to AAA.

I can't tell what they are doing now.

Btw, local radio today said the Cards are in on both Chris Archer and Giancarlo Stanton and that the organization wants both this off-season.
    So are we gutting our farm system for the next two/three years?

How do we plan to go after Archer without giving up Reyes/Weaver/Hicks?
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    So are we gutting our farm system for the next two/three years?

How do we plan to go after Archer without giving up Reyes/Weaver/Hicks?
    Well let's say we pull off Stanton, and it's Alcantara, Wacha, and Jose Martinez

Then Archer would probably cost Weaver, Flaherty, and Bader, and Piscotty

C - Molina
    1B - Carpenter
    2B - Wong
    SS - DeJong
    3B - Gyroko
    LF - Fowler
    CF - Pham
    RF - Stanton
    OF - Grichuk
    IF - Garcia
    IF - Voit
    C - Kelly
    And then one of (the other in AAA)
    OF - O'Neill
    OF - Sierra

Rotation
    1. Martinez
    2. Archer
    3. Wainwright
    4. Mikolas
    5. Reyes

AAA depth for injury
    Gomber and Hudson

Pen
    R - Bowman
    R - Brebbia
    R - Tuivalala
    L - Cecil
    L - Lyons
    R - Gant
    R - Sign a reliever like Nicasio or somebody

Our pen would be fairly weak, as would our AAA depth, but our lineup and rotation are sick. We'd have to quickly develop another starter to take over for Wainwright after this year. And we don't have the injury depth. But we are also probably a 92-95 win team with Stanton and Archer on the same team. We'd have the money for one bullpen signing.

Mercado and Garcia would add to our AAA depth I guess. My worry about be rotation depth. But then Mikolas just made a ton of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Well let's say we pull off Stanton, and it's Alcantara, Wacha, and Jose Martinez

Then Archer would probably cost Weaver, Flaherty, and Bader, and Piscotty

C - Molina
    1B - Carpenter
    2B - Wong
    SS - DeJong
    3B - Gyroko
    LF - Fowler
    CF - Pham
    RF - Stanton
    OF - Grichuk
    IF - Garcia
    IF - Voit
    C - Kelly
    And then one of (the other in AAA)
    OF - O'Neill
    OF - Sierra

Rotation
    1. Martinez
    2. Archer
    3. Wainwright
    4. Mikolas
    5. Reyes

AAA depth for injury
    Gomber and Hudson

Pen
    R - Bowman
    R - Brebbia
    R - Tuivalala
    L - Cecil
    L - Lyons
    R - Gant
    R - Sign a reliever like Nicasio or somebody

Our pen would be fairly weak, as would our AAA depth, but our lineup and rotation are sick. We'd have to quickly develop another starter to take over for Wainwright after this year. And we don't have the injury depth. But we are also probably a 92-95 win team with Stanton and Archer on the same team. We'd have the money for one bullpen signing.

Mercado and Garcia would add to our AAA depth I guess. My worry about be rotation depth. But then Mikolas just made a ton of sense.
    The only player this team doesn't have in 2019 and 2020 is Wainwright.

Our team would be set for 3 years while we attempt to develop more 2 win players in the farm. And we would legit scare the Cubs hard.

I do not want to go after Archer if it means giving up Weaver and Flaherty. Martinez/Reyes/Weaver/Flaherty could all be top of the rotation guys for years to come. Archer has his moments for sure of being dominant, but giving up 2 guys under 25 for a 30 year old doesn't make any sense to me. It doesn't help us as a team either. It makes it so Waino has to be in the starting rotation along with Mikolas which could very well make our starting rotation very weak after Martinez and Archer.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Can't remember where I saw this, could be in a chat w/ Derrick Goold or one of the MLBTR ones, but one of the things that help us is that many our top prospects are on our 40 man roster. So when teams would trade for any number of them they would need to be protected on their 40 man roster. Some indication is that teams like the Marlins are looking for prospects that don't have to be added to the 40 man roster right away. Hicks and Hudson do not appear to be on the 40 man roster as of now.

My reading of the Marlins situation would be a MLB ready/40 Man prospect like Alacantra and 1-2 non 40 man prospects and/or MLB ready position player like Grichuk or Martinez.

If rumors of Alacantra, Wacha, and Martinez are true then either a) the Marlins are more worried about MLB ready players once Stanton/Ozuna/Yelich are gone plus immediate SP rotation help or b) the Cardinals are confident in trading away their MLB ready players to save money on arbitration and to promote younger players.

I'm not too familiar with the Rays situation and don't want to speculate because it could be a Rays SP plus Colome and that would be expensive. Probably 2 40 man prospects and then 2-3 non 40 man prospects.