Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 111
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    42,375
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I feel that the only reason he was suspended was because the NFL thought it was retaliation for Juju.
    I said it at one of the boards I’m on (I think it was here) that if you suspend both to send a message about the play, then fine. Or don’t suspend both and fine them heavily. Fine.

    But doing it to one but not the other doesn’t sit will.

    Ben made a great statement today about how he likes the Ravens games because there’s respect there and this game (Bengals) has no respect.

    And frankly next game we play if there’s a flag every other play...fine. I don’t care. Just be even about it. Don’t let them get another shot in because there was a “lack of retribution”.

    PROCESSING

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,605
    If Brown didn't have his head down, the Iloka doesn't get flagged at all. So I can see not suspending on it.

    Has interesting history though: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-was-worth-it/

    Given that Iloka probably hit Jimmy Graham intentionally back then, I could see this hit being intentional and premeditated as well.


    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    42,375

    PROCESSING

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    42,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    If Brown didn't have his head down, the Iloka doesn't get flagged at all. So I can see not suspending on it.

    Has interesting history though: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-was-worth-it/

    Given that Iloka probably hit Jimmy Graham intentionally back then, I could see this hit being intentional and premeditated as well.

    PROCESSING

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    42,375

    PROCESSING

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Missing my point. It may have been premeditated, no denying that piece. Saying the taunting proves it is dumb.
    Well, okay, if it were in a court of law, that may not hold, but come on, the way these incidents are discussed, especially among fans, pointing the finger or hinting is just about as good as proving something. He laid him out, then went to step over him and talk **** (which we can assume, I don't think there's audio), knowing a bit of the history between the two teams, and particularly involving Burfict, I don't think we're wrong to assume that they had something in mind for him before the game. Same way we could make that assumption next time those two teams meet again and, say, Burfict or some other Bengal take it upon himself to go for some retribution as well, if the league doesn't find a way to stop it. Which is why IMO the fines are warranted in this case regardless of first offense or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    The question I have is....why wait that long into the game to do it then? Do what we did in the first game at that point and put Roosie Nix in the game and run right at him and have our FB take the dirty shot.

    As far as Brown yelling that....when fine Brown (he was yelling "karma").
    Well, I don't know. Could be I guess they didn't want to make it look really blatant, maybe there were words exchanged before this, I don't know, I haven't even caught the game live.

    As for Brown, maybe that's not fine worthy, I don't know, not up to me to decide, but it sure would be best for both parties involved if things were to calm down and there was no more 'karma' moving forward.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    67,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    Well, okay, if it were in a court of law, that may not hold, but come on, the way these incidents are discussed, especially among fans, pointing the finger or hinting is just about as good as proving something. He laid him out, then went to step over him and talk **** (which we can assume, I don't think there's audio), knowing a bit of the history between the two teams, and particularly involving Burfict, I don't think we're wrong to assume that they had something in mind for him before the game. Same way we could make that assumption next time those two teams meet again and, say, Burfict or some other Bengal take it upon himself to go for some retribution as well, if the league doesn't find a way to stop it. Which is why IMO the fines are warranted in this case regardless of first offense or not.



    Well, I don't know. Could be I guess they didn't want to make it look really blatant, maybe there were words exchanged before this, I don't know, I haven't even caught the game live.

    As for Brown, maybe that's not fine worthy, I don't know, not up to me to decide, but it sure would be best for both parties involved if things were to calm down and there was no more 'karma' moving forward.
    So if he didn’t taunt that proves it wasn’t premeditated? Taunting doesn’t prove anything lol.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    So if he didn’t taunt that proves it wasn’t premeditated? Taunting doesn’t prove anything lol.
    Again, I think you're taking this way too seriously. It's just an internet forum after all. The taunting aspect is just a piece of information that helps pointing the finger in that direction. You can try making me believe he would've stood over any other player if he were in Burfict's place (on any other team, if it helps), but knowing some of the history between the teams and some of what followed, I don't think I would buy it.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    42,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    Again, I think you're taking this way too seriously. It's just an internet forum after all. The taunting aspect is just a piece of information that helps pointing the finger in that direction. You can try making me believe he would've stood over any other player if he were in Burfict's place (on any other team, if it helps), but knowing some of the history between the teams and some of what followed, I don't think I would buy it.
    JuJus been doing that after a ton of blocks this season. The fact that Burfict was hurt is what made it look bad.

    PROCESSING

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    67,350
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    JuJus been doing that after a ton of blocks this season. The fact that Burfict was hurt is what made it look bad.
    Somebody pointed out juju doing that before on Twitter today. Taunting doesn’t prove premeditation, seems to be his norm on big blocks.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    42,375
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Somebody pointed out juju doing that before on Twitter today. Taunting doesn’t prove premeditation, seems to be his norm on big blocks.
    Yup. Even at 21 he's more of a man in blacking than 3/4 of WR's and TE's.

    PROCESSING

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,688
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    No the taunting was definitely over the line but more of a fine worthy for a guy without a history.
    It's Burfict. 100% justified. He could've stood over him and pissed on his face and it would have been justified.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    42,375
    Steelers players wasting no time in ripping the NFL:
    The Steelers once were the NFL’s loudest critics when it came to how the league disciplines players. They were the only team to vote against the current collective bargaining agreement six years ago because of it.

    Never, however, were they more livid across the board as they were on Wednesday over the suspension of JuJu Smith-Schuster, the overturned suspension of Cincinnati safety George Iloka and the inconsistency from the NFL’s disciplinary process.

    “Super flawed, super flawed,’’ complained Ramon Foster, the Steelers’ player rep for the NFL Players Association. “There are so many errors in every situation, it’s ridiculous. There’s no common ground, there’s no justification in it. And if you say you’re going to suspend a guy for taunting, I thought taunting was a fine and not a suspension.”

    Smith-Schuster, a rookie who has never been fined nor disciplined by the NFL, received a one-game suspension after he was flagged for unnecessary roughness for a peel-back block on Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict, then flagged again for taunting for standing over him as he lay on the ground.


    JuJu Smith-Schuster breaks away from William Jackson on Monday.
    Joe Starkey
    Joe Starkey: JuJu Smith-Schuster’s suspension is an absolute farce
    Iloka was penalized for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Antonio Brown, as he caught the touchdown pass late in the game that tied the score.

    “They screwed it up,’’ Foster said. “You say you’re concerned for player safety, but you had a guy who blatantly had a helmet to helmet and didn’t get suspended. You had a guy who just did a taunting and you try to justify it by suspending him. That’s not player safety.”

    Some sampling from other Steelers Wednesday:

    Cam Heyward: “I just don’t understand the consistency. What are we really saying?”

    Maurkice Pouncey: “I think it’s stupid. It’s the stupidest thing in the world. ... And I guess, what, the other guy got overturned because AB got up and scored a touchdown? Like, come on, it’s crazy.”

    Alejandro Villanueva: “I do feel the NFL has not shown any leadership whatsoever in dealing with this matter. I mean, they’re supposed to be media experts, consultants that anticipate the ratings drops and whatnot. They’ve completely mishandled not just the national anthem but obviously this suspension thing is out of control.”

    Several Steelers claimed that Cincinnati’s Josh Shaw intentionally kicked Chris Boswell during his first try to kick the winning field goal. Shaw was penalized 5 yards for being offsides, but nothing for any other offense. Boswell then kicked the winner from 38 yards.


    Mike Mitchell yells to his teammates Monday.
    Ray Fittipaldo
    Mike Mitchell blasts Roger Goodell and the NFL: 'This isn't football'
    “And then there’s a hit on Boswell for the game-winning kick and that’s not mentioned,’’ Heyward said. “He hit him on the foot. He kicked him. He stuck his foot out.”

    The Steelers say there is little consistency from the NFL when meting out punishment. They point to the one-game suspension New England’s Rob Gronkowski received for diving on top of Buffalo’s Tre’Davious White Sunday well after the play and mashing him with his forearm.

    “And then you have another situation where you have a guy plow into another guy and you suspend him for one game!” Foster said. “Why one game? Why not multiple games? Because the Steelers play the Patriots the next week.”

    Pouncey said Smith-Schuster “is just playing hard football. For him to have the same suspension as Gronk is embarrassing, it’s ridiculous.”

    “You’re telling me a guy can do an offseason, training-day up-down on a guy and a guy can do a football play and they are the same exact thing? No way,’’ said Foster, explaining that move as “buzzing your feet and hitting the ground. That’s basically what Gronk did.”

    Jon Runyan, the NFL’s VP of football operations, issued the initial suspensions. He is a former lineman who had a reputation as a dirty player.

    “Didn’t Runyan win the league’s most dirty player one or two times?” Foster said. “Is he just trying to get back in the good graces of God because of that? I don’t know. Is he just trying to fix his karma or what? I don’t know. It’s flawed, that’s the best way I can put it. It’s super flawed.”

    Smith-Schuster’s appeals case was denied by James Thrash, but Derrick Brooks overturned Iloka’s suspension on appeal. Foster also took issue with two different appeals judges ruling on it.

    “If that’s the case then there should be a committee of people that discuss it as opposed to one guy,’’ Foster said. “It’s a flawed system. I refuse to say too much about it. It’s not fair for a lot of guys.”

    Villanueva believes much of the NFL’s rulings are based on public reaction, especially by the media.

    “The NFL is kind of waiting, seeing what the chatter is, what the atmosphere is from the public and then being reactive about it and doing something.

    “But it’s not based on principles, it’s not based on a standard, it’s not based on something they believe in, it’s just based on the reaction. If the game was at 1 p.m., none of these penalties get called.

    “It’s a lack of leadership.”

    PROCESSING

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,605
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    So if he didn’t taunt that proves it wasn’t premeditated? Taunting doesn’t prove anything lol.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirming_the_consequent


    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,605
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Steelers players wasting no time in ripping the NFL:
    Between that and Ben's comments about he hopes his kids play golf, hopefully we'll see some tarnishing the shield suspensions in time for the playoffs.


    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •