Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/p...g4K/story.html

In upholding Smith-Schuster’s one-game suspension on Tuesday, Vincent said the NFL didn’t consider Smith-Schuster standing over Burfict and taunting him after the play.

“Taunting was never considered, at least from our office,” Vincent said. “It was the act of hitting Vontaze Burfict in the head area. The talking was not considered. Are we sending a mixed message? We’ve been very consistent, fair, firm.”

Vincent said the NFL will consider a “targeting rule” similar to the one in college football in which players could be automatically ejected for delivering hits to the head.
    So I guess they believe Smith-Schuster had intent to injure on that block = targeting. If so that would explain why his punishment was equal to what Gronkowski received.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    But Smith-Schuster didn't launch himself at Burfict!?

The only source I found of Vincent saying that are some tweets and a rinky-dink Steelers fan site. Do you have the exact quote? The letter from Runyan to Smith-Schuster clearly stated that the "celebration" factored into the decision.

PROCESSING

His feet didn't completely leave the ground but it does look like he launched himself into him.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Launching implies he left the ground.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 12-07-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Yup.

I'm shocked that they didn't consider the taunting aspect of it.

This is the exact hit that they're trying to get rid of in football though. It's a blindsided hit where the player launches himself at another player, leads with the crown of his helmet, and hits the the other player square in the facemask with the crown of his helmet.

This absolutely should have been a suspension. Gronk should have been suspended longer, but there's no place for hits like this in football.
    Last edited by mgjohnson7851; 12-07-2017 at 03:30 PM.

100% launching.

You seem to be trying a weee bit too hard to defend JuJu now.

Carson, trust me, even if you turn out to be a really bad QB, BDawk4Prez will always defend you on PSD.

If launching is this:

illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. (This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Article 7.)
    https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...seless-player/

I don't think that was launching. I don't think he left his feet.

He definitely positioned himself to spring forward and upward into Burfict but if it's only considering launching if he did that AND left his feet, I wouldn't consider it launching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    If launching is this:

He definitely positioned himself to spring forward and upward into Burfict but if it's only considering launching if he did that AND left his feet, I wouldn't consider it launching.
    Exactly.

PROCESSING

If launching is this:

Launching can happen without leaving both feet though.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Launching can happen without leaving both feet though.
    Except the rule states leaving both feet from the ground.

PROCESSING

Except the rule states leaving both feet from the ground.
    Watch the hit and tell me that Juju's feet wouldn't have completely left the ground had there been even a foot more of separation between him and Burfict. The intent was clearly there. He had completed the motion of a launch. He just hit Burfict before his feet were clearly off the ground.

It also wasn’t a “crack back block” (aka Heinz Ward Rule) by the rulebook either. JuJu first made contact shoulder to chest. Burfict wasn’t looking that direction but that doesn’t make it a crack back block. The things that got JuJu was the helmet going to the chin, the speed at which it happened. Then there was taunting. The taunting is a different issue.

But that actual hit, we’ve seen it a bunch without much more than a fine, and now they set a precedent that this is now the penalty for any hit to the head. So if it happens tonight they have put themselves to have to suspend and uphold a 1 game bad because of Troy Vincent’s statement.

PROCESSING

If launching is this:

In the tweet I posted above, it looks pretty clear to me that he left his feet.

It also wasn’t a “crack back block” (aka Heinz Ward Rule) by the rulebook either. JuJu first made contact shoulder to chest. Burfict wasn’t looking that direction but that doesn’t make it a crack back block. The things that got JuJu was the helmet going to the chin, the speed at which it happened. Then there was taunting. The taunting is a different issue.
    That rule is irrelevant in this situation. Burfict was a defenseless player according to this:

A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.
    Some people simply use blindside block or crackback block synonymously. They are pretty similar but distinct in the NFL rules.

But that actual hit, we’ve seen it a bunch without much more than a fine, and now they set a precedent that this is now the penalty for any hit to the head. So if it happens tonight they have put themselves to have to suspend and uphold a 1 game bad because of Troy Vincent’s statement.
    As I said above, I assume that the issue is targeting. The intent to injure was pretty obvious.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast