Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Texas A&M hires Jimbo Fisher as their new Head Coach

Florida State's Jimbo Fisher resigned as head coach and will be named the new HC of Texas A&M.
    Per ESPN's Mark Schlabach, Fisher won’t coach the Seminoles on Saturday in their regular-season finale against UL-Monroe. Last night, it was reported that A&M will offer Fisher a 10-year contract worth around $75 million. Over eight years in Tallahassee, Fisher went 83-23. Fisher led the Seminoles to the 2013 national title and coached the school’s first ever No. 1 overall pick, QB Jameis Winston. Until this year, he'd never had a team finish outside the top-25 in the AP poll, and entering this year, he'd finished with a top-10 recruiting class in six of his last seven seasons. In College Station, Fisher replaces Kevin Sumlin, who was fired last weekend.
    via rotoworld

So many of my fsu friends are completely dumbstruck by this and I'm just sitting here with a ****-eating grin plastered on my face

Why on earth do coaches leave for clearly inferior programs? Texas A&M fired Kevin Sumlin despite him having the second highest win% of the modern era in Texas A&M history. Their regent said they expect to compete for SEC titles and occasionally national titles except they've never really done that. They didn't even compete for conference titles in the Big XII, let alone the SEC.

Fisher now has to face Bama, Auburn and LSU every season. The chances a team beats all 3 of them are basically zero in a given season, let alone beating all three regularly. This reminds me of Bielema leaving Wisconsin to go to Arkansas, where he was just fired and Wisconsin is undefeated in the Big Ten Championship.

Fisher will be at A&M 3 to 4 years and get fired.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Why on earth do coaches leave for clearly inferior programs? Texas A&M fired Kevin Sumlin despite him having the second highest win% of the modern era in Texas A&M history. Their regent said they expect to compete for SEC titles and occasionally national titles except they've never really done that. They didn't even compete for conference titles in the Big XII, let alone the SEC.

Fisher now has to face Bama, Auburn and LSU every season. The chances a team beats all 3 of them are basically zero in a given season, let alone beating all three regularly. This reminds me of Bielema leaving Wisconsin to go to Arkansas, where he was just fired and Wisconsin is undefeated in the Big Ten Championship.

Fisher will be at A&M 3 to 4 years and get fired.
    FSU I do think is probably a better program but it's not by much. A&M has a ton of money, support, a huge stadium, and access to the best recruiting grounds in the country. Jimbo is a top notch recruiter and good offensive coach - it will not be hard for him to get talent. Tom Herman should be just as worried as Malzahn and Saban and that rivalry is on indefinite hiatus.

I agree though it's puzzling but the price was huge, that is to say good, for Fisher and I'm pretty sure FSU is on the downslope. I don't follow that weak school or their weak conference very much but the rumors of players turning on him and bouts with the administration must have some legs. A&M definitely has a tough slate year after year but, much as it pains me to admit because I don't like him, Fisher is up to the task given what he'll have access to. Most people don't expect Saban to be coaching anymore towards the end of Fisher's 10 year contract and Malzahn - hell - many expect him to dip on Auburn even if they win and head for Arkansas (I don't but it's possible).

The West has been the toughest division in college football every year for 10 years running now - I wouldn't bet that'll continue over the next 10 years. Could be a shrewd move, not to mention playing in the SEC gives you a lot more visibility than FSU's 2 or 3 games per year that count.

The Malzahn to Arkansas thing confuses me too, even as a rumor