Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I'd agree re Sam. It simply appears he should take his millions and move onto his next career. Another knee injury and he's not even walking under his own power by 40.

The problem I see personally with keeping both Case and Teddy is, only one can be the starter and, under the tolling scenario, the one that's being paid like a starter wouldn't be the one many think would earn the starting job. Rather than debate whether that'd happen or not, let's just say Teddy earns the starting job next training camp. Now, just like this year (for different reasons) you're paying next to nothing for your starter but your backup is making starter money. We're not the Bears, man.
    Yep Sam should retire. He has enough money and while I would hate to go out like that you have to think about being able to walk.

Case is going to be looking for that longer deal and he has every right to get that. One option that could happen if we do decide to go with Case is franchise him. That would be a big hit but we will have plenty of CAP space for him to prove it another year.

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Yep Sam should retire. He has enough money and while I would hate to go out like that you have to think about being able to walk.

Case is going to be looking for that longer deal and he has every right to get that. One option that could happen if we do decide to go with Case is franchise him. That would be a big hit but we will have plenty of CAP space for him to prove it another year.
    Now thats a HUGE cap number, but i suppose 1 year wouldnt be so bad. I still think we could get him in the 3 year/15 mil a year range an maybe offer a buncha guaranteed money the first year so u can dump in year 3 if need be. But we shall see.

I feel like u are trying to avoid teddys name, but i wont bring that up...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpac_101 View Post

Now thats a HUGE cap number, but i suppose 1 year wouldnt be so bad. I still think we could get him in the 3 year/15 mil a year range an maybe offer a buncha guaranteed money the first year so u can dump in year 3 if need be. But we shall see.
    I think that was mentioned before and is about right for where we should aim/draw the line. Try and get him 2 years guaranteed for 15 mil per (3 years overall on deal but last year is salary+bonus so can be cut).

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    I feel like u are trying to avoid teddys name, but i wont bring that up...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    maybe lol...but in this context there just wasn't anything to add that hasn't already been said in regards to Mr. Bridgewater.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/1...-a-better-case

Great read about Case and his improvements this season vs years prior. Compares his career progresa to the likes of Brees, Brad Johnson, Bradshaw, Peyton Manning, Favre and how they struggled early in the career only to turn it around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

like i said in another post. their is an operation that can replace cartilage .i have seen it on tv several times .while sam might be done in minn. but might not be done in the nfl .especially if shermer gets a head coaching job anywhere but with the giants. id expect he would latch onto sam before case. and i would think the vikings would give case an extension before free agency. rather than tag him a tag would set him at 24 to 26 mill per year. with 15 mill left this year they could not only give case an extension but teddy also. and maybe one or two of the other defensive stars.and with 65 mill they can upgrade a couple other possessions .

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/1...-a-better-case

Great read about Case and his improvements this season vs years prior. Compares his career progresa to the likes of Brees, Brad Johnson, Bradshaw, Peyton Manning, Favre and how they struggled early in the career only to turn it around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Good read and it right on point of my earlier mention that Case could be following the same line as Brees. I have always thought that Teddy could play like Brees but hell it looks like we got that in Case. I think Teddy can play just as well but "think" is highly subjective. Case is doing it.

In the article Case gives credit to his supporting cast which is obvious but one could look at that as perhaps something that could make the team keep Teddy instead if they think his ceiling is higher.

All I know, if you take away the emotional attachment to Teddy (which is very tough for me), you have a QB that is doing it and has done it pretty much every damn game. Case has been consistently good this year with a few early bad games. It will be hard to turn that down this off season. Still along ways to go but how Case does in the playoffs could truly determine if he gets the extension.

Keenum was an audio guest on the last hour of Golic and Wingo today. It's a good listen!
    Last edited by Wolfpac_101; 12-05-2017 at 06:51 PM.

There is simply no logic in franchising Case. None.
    You come up with a number you're willing to live with and make the offer.
    The guy is making 2mil this year. Just how many teams do you think would make a run at him as not just a starter, but an upper tier starter?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    There is simply no logic in franchising Case. None.
    You come up with a number you're willing to live with and make the offer.
    The guy is making 2mil this year. Just how many teams do you think would make a run at him as not just a starter, but an upper tier starter?
    Youd be surprised. Jay Cutler was making bank, and hes Jay Cutler! This is a quarterback driven league, and there are plenty of qb needy teams out there that arent happy with their situation. If Keenum gets a pro bowl bid and takes us to the super bowl who knows? And if i were him id chase that payday, hes earned it.

That being said, we arent gonna franchise him. I dont see the Vikes throwing that kinda money at him so i wouldnt worry.

Case Keenum Named NFC Offensive Player of the Month

1 if we use the franchise tag on Keenum is the entire cap on us if he is traded? Could we do this and get a 2nd rounder let's say without much of a cap hit if we wanted?

2. I don't believe we need to franchise any fa this year so could we instead use the transitional tag? I believe this gives us the option to match his other offers basically

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    1 if we use the franchise tag on Keenum is the entire cap on us if he is traded? Could we do this and get a 2nd rounder let's say without much of a cap hit if we wanted?

2. I don't believe we need to franchise any fa this year so could we instead use the transitional tag? I believe this gives us the option to match his other offers basically
    Transitional tag. Look at you all genius like. I like it! Maybe put a second round tender on him so hed make enough to stay but wed get compensation if he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpac_101 View Post
    Transitional tag. Look at you all genius like. I like it! Maybe put a second round tender on him so hed make enough to stay but wed get compensation if he leaves.
    haha. I played in the mock off season game they do in the main NFL forum here last season with the vikes. I briefly looked up some of the tags etc. at that time to make sure I was doing things right. I don't fully remember all of the rules at this moment though.

I believe the tenders are for RFA and Case will be unrestricted so it won't be an option. I haven't been able to find what happens when you decline a 5th year player like we did with Teddy but my assumption at this moment is he is an UFA too. If not I would gladly use one of those tenders as they are pretty cheap (and worst case we get a pick!).

Teams do really stupid things for a QB. Look at the Texans signing Osweiler. The Jets drafting Hackenberg. Josh Allen going top 10 next year. Wouldn't surprise me if a team clinging to their SB chances like the Broncos tries to throw a boat load of cash at him. The Broncos were interested in him in the past.

Regardless of what the Vikings do any contract we sign Keenum to will be team friendly. Brzyinski (spelling) is the hero we deserve.

And I'll be the guy who says it. If Keenum becomes over priced we always have Teddy to bring back cheaper.
    2017 Vikings Draft :
    41: Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
    70: Pat Elflein C Ohio State
    109: Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
    120: Ben Gedeon LB Michigan
    170: Rodney Adams WR South Florida
    180: Danny Isidora G Miami
    201: Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
    219: Stacy Coley WR Miami
    220: Ifeadi Odenigbo DE Northwestern
    232: Elijah Lee LB Kansas State
    245: Jack Tocho CB N.C. State