Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Trey Lyles is shooting like 45% from 3pt. Probably could of been an easy target if Millsap didnít go down.

I think people will miss JV when heís gone though. He had his lapses that piss people off but we do ignore the efficiency and rebounding he provides. He also might be a step slow but he sets some very solid screens. Are we looking for an upgrade at C and if not are we ready to have Ibaka move to C or Have Poeltl start? Iím not sure I am.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    If you could get Tyreke and Gasol. That actually might take this team over the top.

What about OG-Miles-JV-future pick for Gasol and Evans. The team would be destine for the Luxury taxs in the future.
    I wouldn't do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Neither does JV but the offense should dramatically improve.
    I'm expecting Ibaka and Poeltl to use most of the C mins in the playoffs anyway

Iím not sure Iíd be happy about that move either but itís definitely a big talent upgrade. Lowry-DD-Evans-Ibaka-Gasol has a pretty high ceiling, would they get there who knows. Add the productive bench which is still pretty much intact.

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    Jack was talking about this yesterday. The Raptors need to be able to hit threes at a high level.
    I'm not really into the idea of chasing 3-point shooting. We're improving in that category as a team with complete players. Heck, Jonas is 6 for 18 on the year when the most he ever attempted any other year was 2. If we're talking about a complete player who happens to be good at 3-point shooting, then great. But I don't want to sacrifice defense or rebounding to up our 3-point percentage by 2 points. In that aspect, I still don't see a ton out there that entices me.

On another note, imagine if JVal can start hitting around a 40 clip. That changes a lot as far as how teams defend. Also, I like how Casey is allowing these guys to miss threes. There was a time when he'd yank a young guy after he missed a couple open treys, but now he knows its more important for a guy like Siakam to improve for the playoffs and he just let's him let them fly. I think that will pay dividends as the year goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadds The Gr8 View Post
    Then we are wasting JVs value even more. Hes already overpaid and if we dont use him in the playoffs then itll be evem harder to trade him since it sends a message. At least in the regular season he is extremely efficient despite his minites declining in a chnaged system.

You may as well trade JV and Poeltl (with a first or Powell) for Gasol (and a wing) and have Gasol/Ibaka flank the center position.

The way JV has played lately, I don't see how anyone wants to get rid of him. He is turning into the possible 20 and 10 big man we thought we were drafted 5th overall. The kid that grew up dominating his age class in Europe growing.

I've been saying for years the guy just needs minutes and touches.

Here is 3 of his last 4 games:

15 and 18 in under 19 min against CLE
    21 and 13 in 26 min against BRK
    22 and 13 in 17 min against MIL

He had an off night on the quick back to back against Miami (like just about everyone) but he can play against Whiteside and the heat.

I don't really want to get rid of Bebe either. He missed some time, but let's not forget how well he played early on this year. He's our best rim protector with that foolish length. Not sure anyone else has a better 3rd string 5 man.

The place they could afford to thin out the most is JP and Siakam. They both are very limited offensively. Siakam is never going to be an outside threat with his mechanics, and JP is struggling just to hit FT's. They are both mobile defenders and good around the basket, but that is all they bring on offense. If the Raptors want to compete for a title, those guys can't be more than bench players. Choosing 1 of them to mive makes room for the other to play more, and/or possibly more burn for Miles ( our best spot up shooter) or OG (our best wing defender).

I wonder what kind of draft pick we could get for Poeltl? Instead of making a "now" type of trade, they could try to maybe get a 1st round pick for JP in this years draft. He was a top 10 selection (9th), and the 5 spot is our deepest position. With a healthy JV, Ibaka and Bebe , we could afford to lose JP.

They could simply sign someone that gets bought out to fill out the roster this year, or they could simply promote Bruno to start giving him some NBA run. He's got shot altering length at the 4, and can shoot FT's extremely well to go with 3pt range on his jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Raptor:32098409
    I'm not really into the idea of chasing 3-point shooting. We're improving in that category as a team with complete players. Heck, Jonas is 6 for 18 on the year when the most he ever attempted any other year was 2. If we're talking about a complete player who happens to be good at 3-point shooting, then great. But I don't want to sacrifice defense or rebounding to up our 3-point percentage by 2 points. In that aspect, I still don't see a ton out there that entices me.

On another note, imagine if JVal can start hitting around a 40 clip. That changes a lot as far as how teams defend. Also, I like how Casey is allowing these guys to miss threes. There was a time when he'd yank a young guy after he missed a couple open treys, but now he knows its more important for a guy like Siakam to improve for the playoffs and he just let's him let them fly. I think that will pay dividends as the year goes on.
    The Raptors have committed to shooting threes. They are ranked 4th in 3 point attempts. They have dependable shooters but other than Lowry, Ibaka and Miles, they don't have enough proven shooters. It may not be an issue but it would be nice to have one more proven shooter.

I like the idea of getting Belinelli. He's a career 38% three point shooter and can also be another ball handler/ cutter while also be able to move the ball around a bit.
    ďItís about winning,Ē Stoudemire said. ďYou win, youíre going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won ó Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you donít win, nobody really wants to see you.Ē

JV will never be a 20 and 10 player. His minutes keep decreasing. The positive thing to take away from it is he is stupid efficient despite it so at least you have a good role for him if you make use of his limited time on the floor.

But by playing him in the regular season but not playing him in the playoffs (for Ibaka and Poeltl, thats a big message you are sendig to other teams in what you value him

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    Trey Lyles is shooting like 45% from 3pt. Probably could of been an easy target if Millsap didnít go down.

I think people will miss JV when heís gone though. He had his lapses that piss people off but we do ignore the efficiency and rebounding he provides. He also might be a step slow but he sets some very solid screens. Are we looking for an upgrade at C and if not are we ready to have Ibaka move to C or Have Poeltl start? Iím not sure I am.
    He's the type of player that has immense value some days and very little value others. It is a wonderful luxury and there would certainly be days where you miss him. Depends on the type of player you get in return. But with matchups against the big, physical bigs in this league, it is a nice asset to have him.

The question is always what you get in return, how big is the budget (as we are heading for the tax) and what is the team building vision.

Jv goes beast mode in the playoffs. In the playoffs those efficient bigs become hugely important. With out monroe we could have swept the bucks last year. Not very many teams have a player who can really defend an efficient scoring C. When we beat Indy it was because they only had mahimi to throw at val. Even Whiteside on Miami... If we didn't have val we probably would have lost that series. I hope we keep val. He's really blossomed this year.

I think we'll see guys wanting to sign here after being bought out for the first time ever. If not then I hope for a korver style trade.

Most important priority when getting JV replacement is that they can rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Then we are wasting JVs value even more. Hes already overpaid and if we dont use him in the playoffs then itll be evem harder to trade him since it sends a message. At least in the regular season he is extremely efficient despite his minites declining in a chnaged system.

You may as well trade JV and Poeltl (with a first or Powell) for Gasol (and a wing) and have Gasol/Ibaka flank the center position.
    I don't think it matters how low his value goes. C's have minimal value all over the league. Woj is reporting that even Deandre Jordan's value is sinking. I don't think Casey or Masai care about contract value at this point. Exhibit A: Powell.

I don't think it matters how low his value goes. C's have minimal value all over the league. Woj is reporting that even Deandre Jordan's value is sinking. I don't think Casey or Masai care about contract value at this point. Exhibit A: Powell.
    Youd still need to be presentable to teams though and I dont think having him not play in the playoffs as much is a good message. But then again if we are trading to a non playoff team tgat might not matter.

I wouldn't do that.

Than why even have JV

Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast