Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Gators close to hiring Dan Mullen as head coach

Mullen has long been rumored to the Gators, and has plenty of experience coaching in the SEC, plus history at Florida. This should be the best hire for them in my opinion.

Florida is finalizing a deal to make Dan Mullen its next head coach, a source told ESPN's Chris Low.

Mullen has been the coach at Mississippi State since 2009. His 69-46 record for the Bulldogs makes him the second-winningest coach in school history, behind only Jackie Sherrill. The Bulldogs are 8-4 (4-4 SEC) this season.

Mississippi State is set to play in its eighth straight bowl game, a streak that began in Mullen's second season at the school.

Mullen, 45, was a part of two national championship teams at Florida in 2006 and 2008 as Urban Meyer's offensive coordinator. Along with coaching quarterback Tim Tebow at Florida, Mullen also coached Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith at Utah and Dallas Cowboys star Dak Prescott at Mississippi State. Mullen also worked with current Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin when the AD was leading the athletic department in Starkville, Mississippi.

Mullen was also being considered for the Tennessee job. The Vols are finalizing a deal to name Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano their coach, a source confirmed to ESPN on Sunday.

Florida had previously considered UCF's Scott Frost, who is considered a top target for the Nebraska head-coaching job after leading the Knights to an 11-0 regular season. The Gators also targeted former Oregon coach Chip Kelly, whom UCLA hired on Saturday.

The Gators have been seeking a replacement for former coach Jim McElwain, whose teams won SEC East titles in 2015 and 2016. McElwain was fired on Oct. 29, the day after the Gators lost to Georgia 42-7 to drop their record to 3-4. He had a 22-12 record in two-plus seasons at Florida.

The Gators lost three of their last four games under interim coach Randy Shannon to finish 4-7, only their second losing season since 1979.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...n-mullen-coach

Yeah, Mullen coming "home" makes the most sense. if you can't get Kelly or Frost, there's nothing wrong with bringing him back. Just be sure to announce he was your #1 choice all along

He's a better fit for Florida than Chip Kelly would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    He's a better fit for Florida than Chip Kelly would have been.
    Exactly, and I think a better fit than Frost as well. A proven winner in the SEC, one who rebuild a program no less, is hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Exactly, and I think a better fit than Frost as well. A proven winner in the SEC, one who rebuild a program no less, is hard to come by.
    its funny that Mullen is considered the best fit for UF now, but they offered the job to Kelly, Frost, and reportedly Mike Gundy first ( https://twitter.com/KOCOCarson/statu...80547315453955 ). If Mullen said no too florida would be looking like tennessee right now lol. but 6/36 mil is a lot for a guy like mullen, not surprised he took job given the money and ties to the swamp. dont discount the ties to ad stricklin from miss st. as well.

Very happy with Mullen as a Florida fan.

Frost may be the hot name this year but he's barely younger than Mullen (3 years) though it may not seem like it because Mullen got his head job so young. I like Frost's offense and wouldn't have been mad with him but he's very unproven and it was clear that Strickland and UF wanted experience - they were tired of fooling around with unprovens.

Kelly I have never liked as a coach and I'm very glad we didn't get him. I understand seeking him out based on the fact that the boosters didn't want the program to fall anymore but that guy just doesn't have it to coach in the SEC - and fortunately it seems like he knew that. His scheme is okay (Frost's is better) but his recruiting, personality, and style are very much question marks when it comes to the SEC. He made his hay in a weak PAC 10 and got exposed vs. better teams and in the NFL.

Mullen went to one of the hardest places in the country win (arguably the hardest) and built his program into one of the 20 best in the country over the last few years. It's one thing do win in a weak conference in a program you didn't build like Frost has done, it's an entirely different thing to build the least sexy program in the toughest division in college football and actually succeed. So far he's said all the right things and it looks like Grantham is coming along for the defense (always felt he got dogged too much at Georgia - he's a good coordinator). As a fan, I'm happy.