Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What is the most you match for Smart next summer?

As of right now I dont see a team offering him anywhere near max money or even a 1/3rd of it to be honest.

First there are simply not that many teams that will have tons of salary cap space this summer and the second thing is that I just dont see him getting 18 million similar to what Evan Turner got....so what do you think he will get offered and what do you think Celtics will do in terms of matching?

My guess is that Smart gets somewhere around 10 million over a 3-4 year period from somebody or a 1 year deal from a team that missed out big name free agents but wants money to spend in 2019 free agency. Perhaps a 1 year 14 million dollar deal or something?

If Smart is offered 8-10 million over 3 years I believe we match. If he is offered north of 10 million and its more than 3 years I do not believe we will match.

Do you trade Smart this year for a draft pick, a veteran who can help us this year....or perhaps a younger player....or a younger player and/or draft pick?

Just some thoughts.
    El Presidente

With so few teams with Capspace I don’t see someone throwing big money at him.

Another idea, I know loyalty doesn’t really exist in sports anymore but, maybe Smart wouldn’t sign another offer sheet for a couple $M more to stay here. Especially if he doesn’t show any offense improvement this year. He has a nice home here on a young contending team.

Either way I think he’s going to get a minimum of $10m.

Tough to tell. Darren Collison who has a career WS/48 of .105, but had a .91 last year and .113 the season before that. Collison got a 2 year 10 million dollar contract last year. Shaun livingston got 3 years 24 million with a WS/48 of .83, but had a .93 in his contract yeat and a .145 the season before that.

These guys had close to a WS/48 of .100 (league average) in their contract years with previous years of being above average.Marcus currently has a WS/48 of .58 in his contract year and a career WS/48 of .72. So he is a decent amount below both of those guys statistically.

I wouldnt sign him more than 2 years because of Al horfords contract. Signing marcus could impact whether we are able to give a max contract to another player after Al Horfords contract is up. Not worried about extending Jaylen Brown and Jayson tatum because we have their birds rights. However the signing of marcus could impact bringing in an outside free agent at a max deal depending on who else is on the team and the contract situations at the time.

I would say a 2 year 24 million dollar deal to stay here, but then he is probably gone with Al Horford once Horfords contract is up and we sign a different max free agent. Celtics can pay him whatever the next two years with his bird rights, but as i mentioned before it will impact the cap situation in the future if he is kept longer.
    Last edited by BoSox47; 11-27-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    "Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling." - Bill Belichick

Smart's contract is going to be very important to opening up trade possibilities. We have Horford/Hayward at maxes and Kyrie soon to be on one. Might be able to work out cap space in a few years by using bird rights on Brown while Tatum is still on rookie deal. But most realistic avenue to adding another star is trade and you need to match salaries for that. Smart at $10-13M would be worth it for those possibilities alone.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Smart's contract is going to be very important to opening up trade possibilities. We have Horford/Hayward at maxes and Kyrie soon to be on one. Might be able to work out cap space in a few years by using bird rights on Brown while Tatum is still on rookie deal. But most realistic avenue to adding another star is trade and you need to match salaries for that. Smart at $10-13M would be worth it for those possibilities alone.

Chances are we probably let the market dictate itself....a team will offer Marcus like you mentioned 10-13 million....and we will probably match. Keep him here for a couple more years and then package him in a trade(probably) for another superstar.
    El Presidente

Quote Originally Posted by rufo4100 View Post
    Chances are we probably let the market dictate itself....a team will offer Marcus like you mentioned 10-13 million....and we will probably match. Keep him here for a couple more years and then package him in a trade(probably) for another superstar.
    I think its more likely we sign Smart to a dollar amount that will help us with trades for a max player. I dont see him going somewhere else with our current situation and being able to give him a 2 year deal and extra money with his birds rights.

Tough call... As a future salary match for a trade is a good idea... But he's turning himself into a a pretty decent PG... He's leading the C's in assists while coming off the bench... IMO, he's gonna want to start as a PG someplace... And I don't think that teams situation will effect his decision if he see's an opportunity to start someplace...

Cavs, Clips, Spurs, Magic could be teams looking for a PG next season...
    Last edited by Forever35; 12-01-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    Tough call... As a future salary match for a trade is a good idea... But he's turning himself into a a pretty decent PG... He's leading the C's in assists while coming off the bench... IMO, he's gonna want to start as a PG someplace... And I don't think that teams situation will effect his decision if he see's an opportunity to start someplace...

Cavs, Clips, Spurs, Magic could be teams looking for a PG next season...
    I dont think Marcus cares if he starts or not, I think he would rather win. Marcus already averages 30.9 minutes per game here and Kyrie only averages 31.7 minutes per game. Marcus is on the court at the end of games quite frequently for his defense. If the celtics offer a similar figure as one of those teams, I can definitely see him staying.

We have Smarts bird rights so we can go over the cap with his new contract and pay a luxury tax. A two year deal would be perfect because horford is gone and any contract longer than two years would affect us bringing in a Max free Agent when horfords contract is up. I can easily see management paying him a little more per year to keep him and use that extra money on a contract to use in a trade for matching salaries.

I think his next contract is much more about trade salary matching than it is about market value. At least if he elects to stay. I could see him signing a two year deal and get traded at the end of the year. Or a sign and trade will happen in the off season.

He gets $8.5-10.5M average for 3 years.

He could be a S&T or just let him go.

He's got his purposes, but too many other hands to fill to get to his.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

If Rozier shows some consistency by the end of the year on both sides of the floor, Smart can become expandable and FO won't match large amount of money. If Rozier shows up for 2 games and then disappears for 5 it's going to be hard not to match on Smart. The guy is a winner. His defense is enormous. Hopefully we can keep him.
    Basketball is like war in that offensive weapons are developed first, and it always takes a while for the defense to catch up.

Red Auerbach

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox47 View Post
    I think its more likely we sign Smart to a dollar amount that will help us with trades for a max player. I dont see him going somewhere else with our current situation and being able to give him a 2 year deal and extra money with his birds rights.
    Certainly a possibility. A 2 year 36 million dollar deal or something like that would be overpaying big time but we could package him with a couple of draft picks in two years(if we resign) and get a stud player that puts us as favorite for the title in 2020.

One thing I know for sure is that we dont sign him to a 5 year deal for stupid money. I just dont see any scenario where that happens.
    El Presidente

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun5 View Post
    If Rozier shows some consistency by the end of the year on both sides of the floor, Smart can become expandable and FO won't match large amount of money. If Rozier shows up for 2 games and then disappears for 5 it's going to be hard not to match on Smart. The guy is a winner. His defense is enormous. Hopefully we can keep him.
    Smart players much better D than Rozier. We really dont need another scorer right now...we need a defender. Rozier is also under cheap money for another year so we could resign Smart and keep Rozier for another year and see how things player out.....trade Smart in 2019 deadline and then resign Rozier....keep options open.

Dream scenario: Resign Smart to 2 year deal circa 35 million. At trade deadline in 2019 we trade Smart, Rozier and Marcus Morris along with multiple draft picks to NO for Anthony Davis.
    El Presidente

Quote Originally Posted by rufo4100 View Post
    Certainly a possibility. A 2 year 36 million dollar deal or something like that would be overpaying big time but we could package him with a couple of draft picks in two years(if we resign) and get a stud player that puts us as favorite for the title in 2020.

One thing I know for sure is that we dont sign him to a 5 year deal for stupid money. I just dont see any scenario where that happens.
    5 years wont happen. I just dont see the Celtics offering him anything more than 2 years due to horfords free agency in two years. Not sure how much giving Marcus Smart a 3rd year will affect signing a max free agent, but I assume it would be problematic. Would definitely have to crunch some numbers.

I could see a situation where we give Marcus Smart 2 years, then sign a Max free agent and use Smart's birds rights to sign him again after the max is signed. Unless we go the trade route to acquire a max, but that would be less ideal considering we would have to give up something to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox47 View Post
    5 years wont happen. I just dont see the Celtics offering him anything more than 2 years due to horfords free agency in two years. Not sure how much giving Marcus Smart a 3rd year will affect signing a max free agent, but I assume it would be problematic. Would definitely have to crunch some numbers.

I could see a situation where we give Marcus Smart 2 years, then sign a Max free agent and use Smart's birds rights to sign him again after the max is signed. Unless we go the trade route to acquire a max, but that would be less ideal considering we would have to give up something to get back.
    Smart’s cap hold after those two years wouldn’t let us sign a max FA I think. We could renounce him, but then we wouldn’t have his bird rights.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast