Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    lmao.

everyone that was drafted besides the last 2 picks saw some nice action on the field and made an impact

Quinn had a great draft. it was bad tho

THE START OF A NEW ERA #I.Q.W.T

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Every year you can imagine a dozen things that would help, which has been the perennial problem for this franchise.
    Run game has been the biggest problem. we've never had one

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Run game has been the biggest problem. we've never had one
    that's true if you ignore the 80s and 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    lmao.

everyone that was drafted besides the last 2 picks saw some nice action on the field and made an impact

Quinn had a great draft. it was bad tho

Taking Tebor over Lewis is one I'll be keeping tabs on for the next few years. Still way too early to give Quinn a draft grade for either draft imo. Gotta let things play out.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Taking Tebor over Lewis is one I'll be keeping tabs on for the next few years. Still way too early to give Quinn a draft grade for either draft imo. Gotta let things play out.
    that's true. but it does look real promising IMO. Tabor has great teachers in the secondary he should be solid

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    We had what 9 picks last year? 3 of them showing any sort of production. Is that a good ratio? Honestly, not sure what type or production other teams see from their rookies. Seems a little bad...
    When I think of a good draft, I think of good starter rookie production. I know this is one of our better drafts in recent memory, and it hasn't aged well, but I think of the Ansah-Slay-Warford draft. Slay took his lumps, but all had solid starter production in their rookie years. Even dudes like Sam Martin and Devin Taylor played good roles at the time (Sam Martin still good). We've drafted starters during the Quinn era, but I wouldn't say any of them have legitimately been good outside of Decker. Guys like Reeves-Maybin or Jarrad Davis are starters sure, but it's not like they're blowing up like other rookie LBs have in the past (or even this year). Something I've said before is: Sure we've drafted starters, but outside of our team are they legitimate starters across the league? And outside of Decker, probably not. Agnew could be a punt returner in many places. Some guys like Hyder, Zettel, Diggs, and Killebrew have developed nicely (credit whoever you want for that, I don't really care), but again I don't know that they're starters in a lot of places. That's really my concern with us. We need one of those drafts that change our future, and we just haven't had one since 2013-ish and even then, that one hasn't played out as well as we hoped considering the departure of Warford and the decline of Ansah.

Some examples:

The Saints have turned their franchise around in damn near 1 draft after a bunch of jeff fisher seasons (7-9). Given, replicating that is somewhat of a pipe dream, but they got legitimate cheap starter production out of 3 rookies, 2 of which will be ROY front runners on their respective sides of the ball.

Jags have done a pretty good job at finding legitimate rookie starters too. In 2016 the team disappointed as a whole, but they went Ramsey, Jack, and Ngakoue. All studs, all good starters. Then 2017, they go Fournette, Cam Robinson, Dede Westbrook. First 2 studs, and the last one looked promising in minimal playing time after missing first half of the season. All of those guys had real solid contributions as rookies.

Another example is the Falcons. 2015 they go Vic Beasley, Jalen Collins, Tevin Coleman, Justin Hardy, and Grady Jarrett (think a few of us wanted him...can't believe he fell to the fifth round). All rookies, all put up some solid production. Fast forward to 2016 and they have another HR draft. Keanu Neal and Deion Jones are the heart of a SB team's defense, while Hooper and De'vondre Campbell were solid contributors.

Obviously most teams miss rather than hit, it's just the nature of the game, but man we need a good draft more than a good coach to take the next step. Even though we have a good bit of cap room, we can't expect Quinn to just build this team out of FA. Teams that build almost exclusively through FA just don't last long. Look at Arizona, NYG, and Denver, have a lot of quality talent that they've signed from elsewhere or traded for, but can't draft worth a ****. They hit on a big name guy every few years or so, but outside of that, their drafts are full of dudes you wouldn't recognize if they were in the same room as you. Just like in baseball and basketball, you need to have good cost controlled talent and the draft (and UDFA) is the key to this, and we just haven't hit on it as well as we would hope.

Post of the year.

Marketability Rating = 0

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    that's true if you ignore the 80s and 90s.
    And then they started building QB first.

Marketability Rating = 0

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    And then they started building QB first.
    Hey man, I'm all aboard filling out the lines and then snagging a QB ala Dallas, Philly, or LAR, but we also have to land those picks. Our first rounder before we took Staff was Gosder Cherilus, so at least we tried right? 2nd rounder was Jordan Dizon (woof!). Our best pick was Cliff Avril late in the 3rd and he bolted.

Look at when we drafted Harrington. The two first round picks spent prior to his selection were Jeff Backus and Stockar Mcdougle. After Backus in the 2nd we got Dominic Raiola and Shaun Rogers. You can't say we didn't try!

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Hey man, I'm all aboard filling out the lines and then snagging a QB ala Dallas, Philly, or LAR, but we also have to land those picks. Our first rounder before we took Staff was Gosder Cherilus, so at least we tried right? 2nd rounder was Jordan Dizon (woof!). Our best pick was Cliff Avril late in the 3rd and he bolted.

Look at when we drafted Harrington. The two first round picks spent prior to his selection were Jeff Backus and Stockar Mcdougle. After Backus in the 2nd we got Dominic Raiola and Shaun Rogers. You can't say we didn't try!
    Not just the players. Itís the whole organization. Millen wanted Jammer & Ware instead of Harrington & Mike Williams. Would have been a whole different team.

Marketability Rating = 0

I wanted Jammer too, but I was blinded by my mike mcmahoncrush

Millen was a weak GM, should have done what he wanted. Just another yes man.

Marketability Rating = 0

I take it back. JackB can't work for the lions. Spooner on the other hand...Spooner should replace Quinn!

If they can't get guice or Saquon with their first pick I kind of like the idea of going after quenten Nelson. OG from Notre Dame. I know we need some serious help along the DLine and there is already a lot invested in the Oline but if can't get the RB we want in the first round than why not get a really dominate guard which we need desperately. Glasgow slides back to center which is his natural position and with all the hype around Joe Dahl a year ago, he looked pretty rough in his opportunity this year. Especially since both Quin and Patricia come from New England where they are infamous for drafting LBs and Oline often in the first round. Quin has already proven that he comes from the same mentality considering he has taken a LB and an Olineman, respectively, in the first round of each draft at the helm.

There are also a few free agents available who would look really good in a Lions uniform. Demarcus Lawrence DE, Dontari Poe DT, and Carlos Hyde to name a few. I'm also really curious to see if they go after and Patriots free agents like Dion Lewis or Malcolm Butler. I'd love Dion Lewis on the Lions. He makes a lot of sense as a Lions free agent target.

That is all

Sucks Bryce Love and Christian Wilkins are returning to the college ranks. Two players the lions could have used.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast