Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisec01 View Post
    x2 ... is he first round talent though?
    nah. Barkley is tho

Saw Reuben Foster was arrested for the 2nd time this off season. Bob Quinn absolutely made the right call not drafting him. I owe him an apology.

Good decisions Bob on taking Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Saw Reuben Foster was arrested for the 2nd time this off season. Bob Quinn absolutely made the right call not drafting him. I owe him an apology.

Good decisions Bob on taking Davis.
    yeah after the combine stuff there was no way I was taking foster unless it was a 3rd or 4th round pick
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    yeah after the combine stuff there was no way I was taking foster unless it was a 3rd or 4th round pick
    Not to mention he also missed more games due to injury then Jarrad Davis. Bob Quinn is smart he had Foster in and threw the red flags on him for on and off the field concerns.

so I know the combine still hasn't happened but that is an event that I think causes people to get over drafted more than finding that break out star. As it sits now the talk is how week the depth of the defensive line is. Few starters with many more expected to contribute off the bench. This worries me because outside of running back our weakest positions and arguably the one with the most needs is along the D-line.

We could easily use two defensive ends and a starting defensive tackle but from all the mocks I see none of the really outstanding ones are falling to us. I am still holding out hope that someone like Vita Vea falls to us in the first round or we could be looking at players like Lowell Lotulelei (who have major onfield faults, like work ethic), or Maurice Hurst (who doesn't have a true position due to size) as possible picks after round 1.

Which leads me to believe we may end up going running back with the number 1 pick. I think trading back this year may be the best option for us but I doubt there is anything at 20 that is going to entice someone to move up to select.

When everything is said and done the first round pick is probably not going to be one that will make any of us happy as the real depth is at linebacker and running back this year and those may be the two best options to select at 20, when similar talent could be had in the second round.
    Last edited by garnotm; 02-23-2018 at 12:34 PM.

I know Kiper mocked Derrius Guice to us, which made r/detroitlions mad...funny thing is I don't think Guice makes it that far in the 1st. It all depends where Barkley goes, IMO if Barkley goes #2 there's going to be 1 or 2 more RBs taken in the 1st.

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

so I know the combine still hasn't happened but that is an event that I think causes people to get over drafted more than finding that break out star. As it sits now the talk is how week the depth of the defensive line is. Few starters with many more expected to contribute off the bench. This worries me because outside of running back our weakest positions and arguably the one with the most needs is along the D-line.

We could easily use two defensive ends and a starting defensive tackle but from all the mocks I see none of the really outstanding ones are falling to us. I am still holding out hope that someone like Vita Vea falls to us in the first round or we could be looking at players like Lowell Lotulelei (who have major onfield faults, like work ethic), or Maurice Hurst (who doesn't have a true position due to size) as possible picks after round 1.

Which leads me to believe we may end up going running back with the number 1 pick. I think trading back this year may be the best option for us but I doubt there is anything at 20 that is going to entice someone to move up to select.

When everything is said and done the first round pick is probably not going to be one that will make any of us happy as the real depth is at linebacker and running back this year and those may be the two best options to select at 20, when similar talent could be had in the second round.
    If DL depth is weak this year, then we need to address as early as possible in the draft.

RBs are a dime a dozen. Depending on the system, a RB could either flourish or look terrible. Just like WRs. Danny Amendola would catch 12 passes a year on any other team.

What makes those systems work are the trenches. Always.

Stock the lines, add playmakers later on.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    If DL depth is weak this year, then we need to address as early as possible in the draft.

RBs are a dime a dozen. Depending on the system, a RB could either flourish or look terrible. Just like WRs. Danny Amendola would catch 12 passes a year on any other team.

What makes those systems work are the trenches. Always.

Stock the lines, add playmakers later on.
    I agree with you but it almost seems that once the top two de's are gone and the top two tackles are gone then the guys who are still available should also still be available in the 2nd/3rd round.

So unless Payne and Vea fall to us in the first round then we should be left with three real options.

First option is Arden Key de LSU: he has a ton of red flags, absent from the team and coming in well over weight for his size and speed being the top two. He has the talent but man does it feel like a bad scenario ending up with him to fix our rush issues.

Second option is Taven Bryan: if he is available the biggest knock against him is he is raw. The guy can play inside dt or outside de with power and speed but lacks the instincts for the game.

The third option would be drafting an outside linebacker (which there are many of) and switching to more of a 3-4 defense and drafting a late round NT in the 3rd or 4th rd. However Patricia seems to want to have a fluid defense based on personnel and know one outside of the Lions seems to know where they are leaning.

Take Guice or Hurst

Quote Originally Posted by StriveGreatness View Post
    Take Guice or Hurst
    not really a big fan of Hurst in the first. He seems to be a small DT or a big DE but not truly either one, he seems to get wiped out of a lot of plays. He does generate a lot of pressure up the middle though but as a first round pick I would be lieing if I were to say I would not be disappointed if this was who we walked away with day 1.

not really a big fan of Hurst in the first. He seems to be a small DT or a big DE but not truly either one, he seems to get wiped out of a lot of plays. He does generate a lot of pressure up the middle though but as a first round pick I would be lieing if I were to say I would not be disappointed if this was who we walked away with day 1.

You haven't watched Hurst play much I see. The dude is the best DT in the draft and an immediate impact guy.

Don't get hung up on size with DTs. 2 of the best 5 DTs in the league are undersized (Donald + Atkins). Size is really only super meaningful in 2-gap schemes, and even then, you still prefer a linemen to be able to rush + shed blocks rather than just take up space. I'm all-in on pass rushers, but Ngata + A'Shawn aren't the answer at DT, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zspooner View Post
    Don't get hung up on size with DTs. 2 of the best 5 DTs in the league are undersized (Donald + Atkins). Size is really only super meaningful in 2-gap schemes, and even then, you still prefer a linemen to be able to rush + shed blocks rather than just take up space. I'm all-in on pass rushers, but Ngata + A'Shawn aren't the answer at DT, either.
    but isn't that New Englands's (thus Patricia's schemes) gap controlling systems from the DT's and then generate push from there?

Hurst is Suh-lite he gets great first push blowing past his guy but he suffers from the same thing. Watch the Michigan State game and they constantly hit him with wham blocks or cut back runs running right around the guy. I don't deny he causes chaos in the backfield I just don't think that is what the Lions DTs main job is anymore.

The coaching staff seem high on Robinson and his DT style of play where he can take on 2 blockers and still get a push up the middle. That's what he did at Alabama and that is style Bo Davis is known to run for the Crimson Tide who just happens to have 0 syracuse/patriots connections but is our new d-line coach.

You haven't watched Hurst play much I see. The dude is the best DT in the draft and an immediate impact guy.
    Well if he is that good then we will make sure to not draft him.
    2015 Detroit Lions Prediction Game WINNER

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast