Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    TB Junkie: Where will David Price be starting off '08? Too optimistic to visualize a possible Sept callup?

J.J. Cooper: My guess is Price begins the season in high Class A at Vero Beach and has a chance to jump up to Double-A with a solid start. Price was one of the better combinations of stuff/polish to come out of college in a while so no a Sept. callup doesn't seem outlandish. By 2009 a rotation of Kazmir, Shields, Davis, McGee, Price could be pretty spectacular.
    ttnorm (Connecticut): Thanks for the chat. Your thoughts on Delmon Young's season and outlook?

J.J. Cooper: Obviously he needs to learn that not every pitch is a strike and it's OK to look at one go by every now and then. But that said he kept out of trouble, grinded it out every day for 162 games (which is tough to do) and is still one of the younger guys in the big leagues. Long-term if he just makes a couple of adjustments he still has a chance to be somethings special.
    Carlos (LA): Kershaw or Price?

J.J. Cooper: Kershaw but it's very close

vCash
    For what it's worth, Price has a specific target date in mind. The Rays' final series before the All-Star break, July 10-13, is at Cleveland. If Price is in the majors by then, he'll be able to reunite with his former Vanderbilt University roommate, Indians reliever Jensen Lewis.
    "That's definitely my goal," Price said Tuesday.
    DRaysbay

vCash
    The Rays selected RHP Tim Lahey with the first pick of the Rule 5 draft. Lahey, a 24-year-old Princeton University product, spent most of last year with the Twins’ Double-A affiliate, going 8-4 with a 3.45 ERA on 50 relief appearances. It’s not clear if the Rays intend to keep Lahey or were picking him in a prearranged deal with another team. Rays right-hander Evan Meek was the second selection in the draft, by the Pirates
    http://www.draysbay.com/

vCash
    Doing some stat searching and decided to look up Bill James' 2008 projection for Evan Longoria through Fangraphs, may I say it's very, very nice:

.284/.365/.504 27 HRs, 93 RBIs, 5 SBs, 29 2Bs.

Can you imagine if Longoria were to have that season? Forget about Rookie of the Year, it would be a complete shoo-in. For comparison here's Ryan Braun's 2007:

.324/.370/.634 34 HRs, 97 RBIs, 15 SBs, 26 2Bs.

Also wanted to throw this out there, if Andy Freed does get the Mets' job, the Rays should just hire Biscuits radio announcer and DRB friend Jim Tocco to replace him, he's more than worthy of the spot and he's clearly ready, plus his frame is projectable for some added velocity.

vCash
    Five-Star Prospects

Evan Longoria, 3B

David Price, LHP

Wade Davis, RHP

Desmond Jennings, CF

Reid Brignac, SS

Four-Star Prospects
    6. Jacob McGee, LHP
    Three-Star Prospects

Eduardo Morlan, RHP

Jeff Niemann, RHP

Jeremy Hellickson, RHP

Fernando Perez, CF

Ryan Royster, OF
    The Good: Longoria does everything well, and many things exceptionally so. He combines outstanding bat speed with brute strength, and is capable of going deep to any part of the ballpark without needing to make perfect contact. He also has the feel for hitting to project for a high average, and draws a fair share of walks. Defensively, he shows good instincts and a plus arm. His makeup is outstanding, and he seems to gear up in clutch situations.
    The Bad: Anything here is nitpicking. Right-handed pitchers found some success in pitching Longoria outside, and he needs to refine his pitch selection. He's an average runner that some feel could lose his speed quickly and force a move to left field or first base.

vCash
    Not sure what Goldstein is thinking with those McGee and Hellickson ranks, and to a lesser extent, Niemann rank.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
    Not sure what Goldstein is thinking with those McGee and Hellickson ranks, and to a lesser extent, Niemann rank.
    I agree, Hellickson and Niemann need to atleast be 4 star. Hell, look at Hellickson's stats for this year, unbelievable. McGee really isn't going to be a great pitcher, so 4 star is understandable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabres39 View Post
    I agree, Hellickson and Niemann need to atleast be 4 star. Hell, look at Hellickson's stats for this year, unbelievable. McGee really isn't going to be a great pitcher, so 4 star is understandable.
    Why would you think McGee isn't going to be a great pitcher? Nothing is certain, but what would make you think it? I love Hellickson, but McGee's stats in the FSL were almost identical to Hellickson's in the SAL except McGee had alot more strikeouts against more advanced hitters. He led the FSL in strikeouts and he was in AA the last month of the year. And he's only 8 months older than Hellickson. Hellickson sits in the low 90s and tops out at 95. McGee sits between 93-95 and tops out at 98. McGee was 10 ks short of the minor league lead and he pitched 10 less innings than the leader. He's the definition of a power lefty.

McGee ranked #3 on BA's FSL top 20 this year, behind Bruce and Maybin, and ahead of Wade Davis (#4). Goldstein's opinion of McGee is waaaaay different than his old buddies at BA.

vCash
    Jason (Salem): What about two fireballers that have battled injury . . . Adam Miller and Jeff Niemann. Do they each make the 25 man roster? What do you see as their outlook 3 years from now?

John Manuel: Saw both this year; Niemann was at his best in his last start, he was outstanding in the playoffs for Durham. I think he's turned the corner, still think he'll be an inconsistent big leaguer b/c he's so big, so many moving parts, but when he's right he's still dominant. Miller wasn't very good when I saw him but our reports out of the AFL were more encouraging. I'd say Miller will relieve this year to get his feet wet, start in '09 and be a middle-of-the-rotation guy by '10. Niemann will be a 5th starter but that's because he'll behind the likes of Kazmir, Shields, Garza, D. Price, Davis and McGee. Man, gotta love the Rays' pitching depth.
    Brendon (NY): Best Farm System in the League?

John Manuel: Rays
    Kyle (Rochester, NY): Who is the better pitcher, Jake McGee or Wade Davis? Also, will Desmond Jennings be in the top 10 for the Rays when the list comes out?

John Manuel: Oh, hey Kyle . . . so let' s start here. Jennings is a top 10 type of talent; the Rays' top 10 will be going up in early January after we take a holiday/post Handbook break. I like Davis' repertoire better and think he's slightly ahead of McGee, but McGee flashes two plus pitches, and the FB could be an 80 on the scale when you're talking about an LHP who parks it at 97. Love both of those guys.
    BA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
    Why would you think McGee isn't going to be a great pitcher? Nothing is certain, but what would make you think it? I love Hellickson, but McGee's stats in the FSL were almost identical to Hellickson's in the SAL except McGee had alot more strikeouts against more advanced hitters. He led the FSL in strikeouts and he was in AA the last month of the year. And he's only 8 months older than Hellickson. Hellickson sits in the low 90s and tops out at 95. McGee sits between 93-95 and tops out at 98. McGee was 10 ks short of the minor league lead and he pitched 10 less innings than the leader. He's the definition of a power lefty.

McGee ranked #3 on BA's FSL top 20 this year, behind Bruce and Maybin, and ahead of Wade Davis (#4). Goldstein's opinion of McGee is waaaaay different than his old buddies at BA.
    The only thing that scares me about McGee is his inability to consistently comand his FB. He tries to overthrow it at times, trying to over power guys, rather than just relying on his amazing stuff and talent. He also does need to work on his off-speed pitches. Needs to command them better. But once or if he does that, watch out, he is going to be scary.

vCash
    Is Glenn Gibson worth a darn? He looks like a pretty big kid, but his stats didn't jump off the page at me. He is a MLB legacy, but is there any potential to be had in those veins???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Campy View Post
    Is Glenn Gibson worth a darn? He looks like a pretty big kid, but his stats didn't jump off the page at me. He is a MLB legacy, but is there any potential to be had in those veins???
    Baseball America had just ranked him the Nationals #8 prospect before the trade. That's about all I know about him.

vCash
    A quick post here, just wondering what people expect from Jeff Niemann in 2008? I think we're at the point here where the former first round pick should be in the majors to begin the season - barring a spring meltdown - I know he can use some repetitions, but sending him to Durham could be a kiss of death to his prospects in the bigs this year, a bullpen spot could work.

Jeff Juden
    IP/S H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9 WHIP
    5.95 8.49 0.62 4.42 7.90 1.43

Jeff Niemann
    5.08 8.25 0.83 3.39 9.38 1.29

Andy Benes
    6.06 7.82 0.97 3.32 8.94 1.24

Although not necesarily in stuff, Benes and Juden both compare to Niemann in draft status and size - both overall meaningless, but Benes was a pretty valuable commodity as an innings eater and Juden was a large bust for numerous organizations including the Astros. Seemingly Niemann fits in the middle as far as minor league careers, but does that mean he'll fit somewhere in between the career ERAs - I know, I know, but we're comparing the more important stats, ERA is just that medium stat that is produced by those stats - of 3.97 and 4.81 as a starter? Should he move into the bullpen immediately?

vCash
    Walter, New Orleans, LA: Does Jeremy Hellickson have enough stuff to be one of the starters for the Rays? Is he in the class with or close to the mcgee's, price's, davis'...or is he really far behind....who's in the World series 2010 rotation?

Jim Callis: He does, his stuff is very good, though the Rays have a lot of candidates. That 2010 rotation is going to be: Kazmir, Price, McGee, Davis, Garza. Nice rotation.
    Dave Staten Island,New York: Hi Jim, Happy New Year to you and yours! A fast one for you. Who helps their big club the most this season: David Price,Evan Longoria,Luke Hocevar,Ian Stewart or Jay Bruce? thanks, Dave

Jim Callis: Thanks, Dave. Jay Bruce, provided the Reds give him the opportunity. Longoria would be my second choice.
    Mike (NYC): But Jim, I thought you said the starter (and winner) in Game 7 of the 2010 WS was going to be Jeff Niemann!

Jim Callis: That was a year ago! No longer!
    ESPN

vCash
    Evan Longoria
    With fewer than 200 professional games under his belt, Longoria appears ready for the big leagues. He made it to Triple-A in his first full season and has shown the ability to hit for average and power in his brief pro career. Defensively, he's got good hands and a strong arm at third base.
    Players who come out of Long Beach State seem to have pretty good heads on their shoulders and know how to play the game the right way (see Tulowitzki, Troy). Longoria definitely fits that mold and his makeup and work ethic are off the charts. That should enable him to get to the big leagues, and stay there, in short order. It's not guaranteed, but it's hard to imagine he won't make the 2008 big-league roster as the Opening Day third baseman, pushing Akinori Iwamura to second base
    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...top&pid=446334

A lot more in the link

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast