Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rays Prospect Thread

You know, just about every other team has a Prospect Thread, and we have the best System in Baseball, so I figured why not. Post prospects reports, stuff about the system etc. in here

vCash
    Here is D-Rays questions from today's chat:
    Norman (NY): Last year when asked who would be the best prospect that nobody knew about you said Yovani Gollardo. Who's your pick for this yerars best prospect that nobody has heard of yet?

Jim Callis: Did I say that? I'll give you three answers . . . From the 1-50 range on our Top 100, Devil Rays LHP Jacob McGee. From the 51-100 range, Cardinals LHP Jaime Garcia. From off the board, Red Sox 1B Lars Anderson and Athletics OF Matt Sulentic. Well, that's four.
    Matt (Knoxville, TN): in 2010, the D-rays will...

Jim Callis: You know the answer if you read my last column at baseballamerica.com . . . In 2010, the D-Rays will win the World Series.
    Ray (NC): Wood, Braun, Longoria, or LaRoche

Jim Callis: Wood.
    Ryan. PA: Better 2007 season: Delmon or Gordon?

Jim Callis: Gordon.
    Charles (Weaverville NC): E. Dukes ever get his head on straight & become an elite player or another should have? Thanks

Jim Callis: Great tools, but I don't see him as an elite player. He's never put up a monster year to go with all those tools, and the makeup is always going to be a question.
    Dave LA: If you had to pick an organization to take the reigns of for the next 7 years (and part of the equation is you have to win a couple world series), who would you take? I'm betting you don't say Yankees. (I'd personally say Tigers)

Jim Callis: What happens if I don't win a couple of World Series . . . I could answer this in a few ways. From a sheer budgetary standpoint (and they have an interesting system), I'd say Yankees. From a sheer young talent standpoint, I'd say the Devil Rays. And considering their past, I'd look pretty good in Tampa no matter what I did. I think I'd relish the Tampa challenge more than the New York challenge. Brewers would be fun, too.
    Pat (Pittsburgh): AL ROY in 2008?

Jim Callis: Pick a Devil Ray: Evan Longoria or Reid Brignac.
    Jonner (Boulder, CO): Why did the D-Rays take so long to call up Delmon.....his development or because they are cheap?

Jim Callis: Some of each.

vCash

D-Rays Minor League News

Whenever there are any minor league updates from either the Triple-A, Double-A or Single A's farm system concerning the Tampa Bay Devil Rays team, You can post it here in this thread. You can also discuss about the topic here in this thread.

It can be news updates from either a minor league players from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays team being injured, a highlight performance of any certain game or even if one of the minor leaguers from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays team happen to be traded.

vCash
    I already made one of these, I asked a Mod to stick it, but nobody did

vCash
    Q's from yesterday's chat:
    Amit (San Francisco, CA): Hi Jim, How about a Barton for Dukes swap? Barton is a left-handed patient hitting 1b that the Rays could use. Dukes a right-handed power hitting outfielder the A's could use. Plus, now that Bradley has found a home in Oakland, he could take Dukes under his wing and make sure he leaves his troubles behind.

Jim Callis: Not sure the Rays would do that, even with all their outfielders. Dukes' ceiling is a lot higher than Barton's.
    Gino (CHI): Does Brignac have the glove to stay at SS long term? If so, does he project to .290-25hr-15sb type of 5 tooler?

Jim Callis: Yes and yes.
    Tampa Matt: Longoria or Gordon?

Jim Callis: Gordon
    Paul (Orlando): Niemann or Pelfrey?

Jim Callis: If you can guarantee his health, Niemann. If not, Pelfrey
    john (la): Longoria: 1b or 3B in the majors?

Jim Callis: 3B.
    Harry (FL): If Longoria is a 3B long-term, where does that leave Iwamura?

Jim Callis: He can go to 2B and B.J. Upton can go to the OF.

vCash
    Near no-no: Mitch Talbot won his Triple-A Durham debut Monday night. The right-hander tossed six scoreless innings and allowed no hits before Steve Andrade took over and pitched a hitless seventh. Pawtucket singled off Andrade in the eighth, but scored no runs. Chad Orvella finished off the Bulls' 5-0 win with a scoreless ninth. Of note: Jorge Cantu made his first start at first base in the game.
    If you remember, Talbot came over with Zobrist in the Huff trade. Looks like that turned out to be a winner for us.

vCash
    Double-A Montgomery's Reid Brignac missed Sunday's game after fouling a pitch off his foot on Saturday.

The shortstop prospect is day-to-day.
    rotoworld.com

vCash
    Brignac is going to be good, I am drooling at the thought of TB line-up in a couple years

vCash

vCash
    Suppose Longoria and Brignac are both called up for the 2008 season to play 3B and SS respectively. Then, assuming that the OF remains the same as in 2007 (Crawford, Baldelli, Young) and that Navarro gets most of the time behind the plate, there appears to be five players who are capable of starting, but who are left to fill only three positions (Upton, Iwamura, Dukes, Wigginton, and Gomes, and 2B, 1B, and DH).

Personally, I would love to see Upton settle into a fielding position rather than becoming the DH, and I think he can. Suppose he becomes the everyday second baseman. Is there any chance that Iwamura could play 1B? He's an excellent third baseman, so I don't think he would have much trouble moving across the diamond. Then we could start Dukes at DH and also give him some time in the OF when one of the regulars gets a day off, and Wigginton, if he would agree to this, could be a utility man and fill in just about wherever he is needed, and Gomes could be traded.

If this works out the lineup could look something like this:

1. Crawford LF
    2. Upton 2B
    3. Baldelli CF
    4. Young RF
    5. Dukes DH
    6. Iwarmura 1B
    7. Longoria 3B
    8. Navarro C
    9. Brignac SS

I really liike the way this looks, but maybe the Rays are planning to make Jorge Cantu their first baseman in 2008. I've heard he's been playing 1B in Durham.
    Last edited by Gerhardt; 04-16-2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: I made a few mistakes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerhardt View Post
    Suppose Longoria and Brignac are both called up for the 2008 season to play 3B and SS respectively. Then, assuming that the OF remains the same as in 2007 (Crawford, Baldelli, Young) and that Navarro gets most of the time behind the plate, there appears to be five players who are capable of starting, but who are left to fill only three positions (Upton, Iwamura, Dukes, Wigginton, and Gomes, and 2B, 1B, and DH).

Personally, I would love to see Upton settle into a fielding position rather than becoming the DH, and I think he can. Suppose he becomes the everyday second baseman. Is there any chance that Iwamura could play 1B? He's an excellent third baseman, so I don't think he would have much trouble moving across the diamond. Then we could start Dukes at DH and also give him some time in the OF when one of the regulars gets a day off, and Wigginton, if he would agree to this, could be a utility man and fill in just about wherever he is needed, and Gomes could be traded.

If this works out the lineup could look something like this:

1. Crawford LF
    2. Upton 2B
    3. Baldelli CF
    4. Young RF
    5. Dukes DH
    6. Iwarmura 1B
    7. Longoria 3B
    8. Navarro C
    9. Brignac SS

I really liike the way this looks, but maybe the Rays are planning to make Jorge Cantu their first baseman in 2008. I've heard he's been playing 1B in Durham.
    I have been drooling over this potential line-up for a year now

vCash
    Navarro isn't going to be our catcher of the future, and Baldelli won't be with the team at that point. He'll be long gone after he proves he can stay healthy and we trade him for some SP. Dukes or Crawford, whoever has the better range at that point, will be our full time CF and the other will take LF.

Upton or Aki will be 2B, the other will likely be traded for either bullpen arms or SP. Cantu, Wes Bankston, or Joel Guzman will be our 1B, assuming we don't sign or trade for a big time FA/bat. The others will also be traded for bullpen arms or SP.

C - Navarro (for now)
    1B - Bankston/Guzman
    2B - Upton/Iwamura
    3B - Longoria
    SS - Brignac
    LF - Crawford
    CF - Dukes
    RF - Young
    DH - Wigginton

vCash
    Jacob McGee fanned nine in 5 2/3 scoreless innings for Single-A Vero Beach on Tuesday.

McGee has allowed eight hits and struck out 19 in 14 2/3 innings in the FSL. He's all set to establish himself as one of the top left-handers in the minors this year.
    Reid Brignac returned to action on Tuesday and went 1-for-4 for Double-A Montgomery.

Brignac left Saturday's game after fouling a pitch off his foot, but Baseball America says it was actually right hamstring tightness that cost him the following two days.
    rotoworld.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tregrimmd View Post
    Navarro isn't going to be our catcher of the future, and Baldelli won't be with the team at that point. He'll be long gone after he proves he can stay healthy and we trade him for some SP. Dukes or Crawford, whoever has the better range at that point, will be our full time CF and the other will take LF.

Upton or Aki will be 2B, the other will likely be traded for either bullpen arms or SP. Cantu, Wes Bankston, or Joel Guzman will be our 1B, assuming we don't sign or trade for a big time FA/bat. The others will also be traded for bullpen arms or SP.

C - Navarro (for now)
    1B - Bankston/Guzman
    2B - Upton/Iwamura
    3B - Longoria
    SS - Brignac
    LF - Crawford
    CF - Dukes
    RF - Young
    DH - Wigginton
    We have plenty of SP coming up now, we have Niemann, Davis, etc., and we are probably going to draft David Price this year. I feel that we will keep Baldelli, move Dukes to first, and keep Upton at 2nd, Guzman is a failure, and Bankton might be our DH

vCash
    Q's from today's chat:
    Mike -Norhtboro,MA : Jim, where do you see David Price and Weiters going in the draft? Think the Cubbies would take the catcher?

Jim Callis: As much as you can be a lock seven weeks before the draft, Price seems a lock to be the No. 1 pick of the Devil Rays. Wieters figures to go No. 2 to the Royals or No. 3 to the Cubs.
    Jonathan (Tampa, FL): Can Reid Brignac and Evan Longoria compete for best left-side of the infield in 3 years?

Jim Callis: Yep.
    Jason (NJ): So you are saying Niemann could be better than Kazmir?

Jim Callis: Yeah, he could be. They both have No. 1-type arms. Don't get me started on young Devil Rays . . . I love young Devil Rays.
    Jason (St. Louis): What will happen first, Devil Rays win a World Series or any ACC team wins the College World Series?

Jim Callis: Great way to end today's chat. I'd stay longer, but I have a draft Top 30 and a column to write . . . I have to take the Devil Rays vs. the ACC field.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast