Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Who are some other coaches besides Jim harbaugh that you would like to coach the cowboys. We all know jerry will only allow puppets. We probably wont see anymore Sean Mcvays.

Quote Originally Posted by KiNgJaMeS315 View Post
    Who are some other coaches besides Jim harbaugh that you would like to coach the cowboys. We all know jerry will only allow puppets. We probably wont see anymore Sean Mcvays.
    There are more McVays out there you just have to have a GM willing to stick his neck out to hire him. Not too many GMs are willing to stick their neck out for a young unproven guy.

I think a name to keep an eye on (definitely not who I would want) is Bob Stoops. Hes a friend of Jerrys and isnt coaching OU anymore. Hes also still young enough to want to coach. Also considering hes retired it would give Jerry to option to retain any of his staff. Again, not what I would want but he makes a lot of sense for Jerry. As far as other college coaches...Saban? Urban Meyer?

Who are some of the hot OCs and DCs in the NFL?

No thanks to Saban. He's good with college players, but I don't think his shtick works well in the NFL.

Urban Meyer would be interesting, but I don't see why he'd want to leave Ohio State. Honestly, I'm not keen on college coaches going to the NFL. They don't seem to work out often enough. I guess Pete Carroll has and Harbaugh certainly did for a while, but more often than not they are back to college pretty quickly.

In terms of coordinators probably highly sought after I'd say both Josh McDaniels (OC) and Matt Patricia (DC) from the Patriots are hot commodities. Probably guys like Mike Smith (current DC of the Bucs and former Falcons HC) and Jim Schwartz (Eagles DC) will also get some looks. Schwartz's work with the Philly defense missing their stud MLB and a young secondary has been really good. There are always the Jon Gruden rumors too, but sounds like the college game might be where he ends up if he leaves ESPN.

Here is one from left field, though: Tony Romo. Why not? He's as old as McVay is and he obviously has a great football mind. He's a fiery and competitive guy. I don't think he wants to leave the booth any time soon, but I'd love it. You look around to the NBA and MLB, and you see recently retired players being successful as coaches quickly. Jason Kidd is an example that immediately comes to mind. While I can see some difficulty with coaching players who used to be teammates, I think it'd work for Romo since he was the leader for so long anyway. The other downside is no coaching experience, but I think his game experience would make up for that.

Do I think Romo would want to do it? No probably not. I don't think it'd happen, but I have to think coaching in the NFL would be more appealing to his competitive nature than broadcasting (even though he is probably the top broadcaster in the NFL right now too).

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    No thanks to Saban. He's good with college players, but I don't think his shtick works well in the NFL.

Urban Meyer would be interesting, but I don't see why he'd want to leave Ohio State. Honestly, I'm not keen on college coaches going to the NFL. They don't seem to work out often enough. I guess Pete Carroll has and Harbaugh certainly did for a while, but more often than not they are back to college pretty quickly.

In terms of coordinators probably highly sought after I'd say both Josh McDaniels (OC) and Matt Patricia (DC) from the Patriots are hot commodities. Probably guys like Mike Smith (current DC of the Bucs and former Falcons HC) and Jim Schwartz (Eagles DC) will also get some looks. Schwartz's work with the Philly defense missing their stud MLB and a young secondary has been really good. There are always the Jon Gruden rumors too, but sounds like the college game might be where he ends up if he leaves ESPN.

Here is one from left field, though: Tony Romo. Why not? He's as old as McVay is and he obviously has a great football mind. He's a fiery and competitive guy. I don't think he wants to leave the booth any time soon, but I'd love it. You look around to the NBA and MLB, and you see recently retired players being successful as coaches quickly. Jason Kidd is an example that immediately comes to mind. While I can see some difficulty with coaching players who used to be teammates, I think it'd work for Romo since he was the leader for so long anyway. The other downside is no coaching experience, but I think his game experience would make up for that.

Do I think Romo would want to do it? No probably not. I don't think it'd happen, but I have to think coaching in the NFL would be more appealing to his competitive nature than broadcasting (even though he is probably the top broadcaster in the NFL right now too).
    The problem I would have with Romo is that hes never coached before, at any level. McVay has been coaching almost 10 years and worked his way up. Romo has less experience than Garrett had when he was brought to Dallas. It does sound like a total Jerry move though.

None of those coordinators sound appealing to me. What about a guy like Todd Walsh (Jacksonville DC)?

If Jerry decides to keep Red I do have an idea for OC. John DeFilippo the QB coach in Philly. Hes the OC/QB coach in Cleveland with McCown was there putting up good numbers. Has also done an amazing job with Wentz. Hes a young guy that could eventually be a good offensive minded HC.

From a rival fan perspective, here is what I don't want you to do. In tun, it probably lines up with what you need to do. Full disclosure, no clue what the cap/$ situation looks like.

Dez needs help. He's not the elite top 5 WR he once was, but he should still put up big games/numbers with someone across from him. Targets: Watkins/Decker/Gabriel/Inman/Lee

Witten, done. Put him out to pasture. If Rico isn't the heir apparent, go get Graham. If you can, this will likely nullify the need of finding a higher priced compliment to Dez.

OL - shore it up. At least 1 upgrade is needed there.

Defense - time to spend some money and at the minimum, some very high picks.

Little Red - Out. Get Harbaugh at all costs.

Not capable? Please, I'm BDN homie..

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post

I think McVay is an anomaly. Everyone's looking at the Rams success and thinking hey let's go out and get a young guy. There might be another one, but most of them are probably not ready yet. The Rams were smart....they somehow snatched him up just as he was about to blow up. He must have been really amazing in the room. It's like getting a young Bill Walsh. One thing I will say about coaches.... I would like to get ones that are better at using what we have. If you look at the coaches that have success (Bellichek, McVay), they use who they have. Coaches that are rigid or can't seem to make adjustments from their own style a la Chip Kelly seem to get figured out. I can see why you thought of Romo--the plays were more creative when Romo was there and could put his two cents, but he's not in that place right now--he's got a beautiful young family raising his kids....coaching is 24/7 be in the film room type deal with little to no sleep. I don't even know how McVay manages to have a girlfriend (which he does). The next coach should be in sync with the front office more on how to build...we were better at building the offensive side rather than the defense---getting duds like Randy Gregory.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    I think McVay is an anomaly. Everyone's looking at the Rams success and thinking hey let's go out and get a young guy. There might be another one, but most of them are probably not ready yet. The Rams were smart....they somehow snatched him up just as he was about to blow up. He must have been really amazing in the room. It's like getting a young Bill Walsh. One thing I will say about coaches.... I would like to get ones that are better at using what we have. If you look at the coaches that have success (Bellichek, McVay), they use who they have. Coaches that are rigid or can't seem to make adjustments from their own style a la Chip Kelly seem to get figured out. I can see why you thought of Romo--the plays were more creative when Romo was there and could put his two cents, but he's not in that place right now--he's got a beautiful young family raising his kids....coaching is 24/7 be in the film room type deal with little to no sleep. I don't even know how McVay manages to have a girlfriend (which he does). The next coach should be in sync with the front office more on how to build...we were better at building the offensive side rather than the defense---getting duds like Randy Gregory.
    So should they look at a defensive minded coach? Who would you suggest they go after? What about Todd Wash from Jacksonville?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    So should they look at a defensive minded coach? Who would you suggest they go after? What about Todd Wash from Jacksonville?
    Hmmm. That's an interesting suggestion. Do you think Jacksonville's defense is due to their superior talent or his scheme? It's hard to evaluate some of these coordinators because they benefit from a talent rich roster in one situation go to a less ideal situation and then flounder. I'd still prefer a Bill Walsh like offensive guru that has a strong defensive coordinator under him. I think our defense suffers from a lack of depth in talent. But, the offense seems to lack imagination. In the offseason, we need to invest in linebackers and the secondary. The Jaguars did that over several years and it's really paid off.

Hmmm. That's an interesting suggestion. Do you think Jacksonville's defense is due to their superior talent or his scheme? It's hard to evaluate some of these coordinators because they benefit from a talent rich roster in one situation go to a less ideal situation and then flounder. I'd still prefer a Bill Walsh like offensive guru that has a strong defensive coordinator under him. I think our defense suffers from a lack of depth in talent. But, the offense seems to lack imagination. In the offseason, we need to invest in linebackers and the secondary. The Jaguars did that over several years and it's really paid off.
    I expect Taco to be better in his second year. I also expect Lawrence to be back on the franchise tag. If the Cowboys can have another defense heavy draft and even add some talent through FA I think a guy like the Jags DC could do wonders.

Personally I think it will be an offensive minded guy though. Thats why I brought up DeFilippo from Philly. He has the experience as an assistant, and hes very good with QBs (which would help Dak).

I would still prefer Harbaugh but I would not be totally upset if they went with Flip.

I expect Taco to be better in his second year. I also expect Lawrence to be back on the franchise tag. If the Cowboys can have another defense heavy draft and even add some talent through FA I think a guy like the Jags DC could do wonders.

Personally I think it will be an offensive minded guy though. Thats why I brought up DeFilippo from Philly. He has the experience as an assistant, and hes very good with QBs (which would help Dak).

I would still prefer Harbaugh but I would not be totally upset if they went with Flip.
    I would prefer a rising star coach over an old vet....one experienced enough, but also innovative enough to engineer new things. The game keeps evolving. The Rams benefited from McVay giving them a fresh take. Whoever the new coach is has to come in and make things easier for Dak. He's regressing. It was the perfect storm of losing his bell cow running back, the o line collapsing before our eyes and our receivers not getting separation. He's starting to get disoriented and making mistakes he didn't in the past. Teams have had an entire offseason to analyze what we did well last year and take that away---they now scheme to take out Beasely, which Dak could always count on to get open. And without the threat of Zeke in the play action, that's becoming more magnified. Our coaching staff hasn't made enough adjustment to this. Another reason, I'd go for the rising star coach is I don't even think Jerry's micro managing will mesh well with some of these vet coaches used to getting their way. Look at the coaches who have been able to stick around--it's usually guys like Garrett that know how kiss his ... Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells were chased out the door.

I would prefer a rising star coach over an old vet....one experienced enough, but also innovative enough to engineer new things. The game keeps evolving. The Rams benefited from McVay giving them a fresh take. Whoever the new coach is has to come in and make things easier for Dak. He's regressing. It was the perfect storm of losing his bell cow running back, the o line collapsing before our eyes and our receivers not getting separation. He's starting to get disoriented and making mistakes he didn't in the past. Teams have had an entire offseason to analyze what we did well last year and take that away---they now scheme to take out Beasely, which Dak could always count on to get open. And without the threat of Zeke in the play action, that's becoming more magnified. Our coaching staff hasn't made enough adjustment to this. Another reason, I'd go for the rising star coach is I don't even think Jerry's micro managing will mesh well with some of these vet coaches used to getting their way. Look at the coaches who have been able to stick around--it's usually guys like Garrett that know how kiss his ... Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells were chased out the door.
    Again, DeFilippo. Hes 39, hes been an OC. Now it was for a crappy Cleveland team but it was the year that McCown looked really good. The last two years hes been the QB Coach in Philly. Hes probably the most responsible for Wentzs progression. If he brought in his own OC hed have more than enough time to work with Dak 1 on 1. Basically be the HC/QB coach. If looking for the rising star candidate hes probably the best option.

Again, DeFilippo. Hes 39, hes been an OC. Now it was for a crappy Cleveland team but it was the year that McCown looked really good. The last two years hes been the QB Coach in Philly. Hes probably the most responsible for Wentzs progression. If he brought in his own OC hed have more than enough time to work with Dak 1 on 1. Basically be the HC/QB coach. If looking for the rising star candidate hes probably the best option.
    He's interesting. Do you think we would actually get a new coaching staff? Other than last year, we talk about a coaching change every year and Jerry ends up sticking with Garrett. I think Jerry really likes Garrett and it would take some really abysmal seasons for him to get rid of him.

Truth is Jerry loves Garrett. This might not be logical but since JG won coach of the year last year he won't be fired so soon. I'm guessing he will be fired next year. Jerry will give him one more chance.
    I think having a new head coach is wishful thinking. Not that I would mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Truth is Jerry loves Garrett. This might not be logical but since JG won coach of the year last year he won't be fired so soon. I'm guessing he will be fired next year. Jerry will give him one more chance.
    Yeah Jerry will stick with him. It's pretty bad though. Of coaches who have been with their teams since 2011, of which there are 9 coaches, only Jason Garrett and Marvin Lewis have not won a super bowl or been to won. Garrett has won one playoff game while Marvin Lewis has not even won a playoff game. It's time to make a switch barring an epic turnaround here to end the season and go 10-6 to squeeze into the playoffs. I don't see it happening and I don't want to see us waste the prime of our team by sticking with Garrett to lose more games. We should have won a Super Bowl with Romo and the talent around him but we only managed to win one playoff game with Garrett as the head coach. Time to move on, time to get going.

Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Oh its definitely wishful thinking. This team would have to go even further off the rails for Jerry to consider replacing Red.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast