Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Offensive or Defensive-minded replacement?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offensive

21 87.50%
  • Defensive

3 12.50%
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    I kinda liked the idea of frank Reich until I saw last night that he doesnít call plays in Philly... so basically heíd be sort of an unknown commodity in terms of offensive abilities...
    You think Pederson called the plays in KC before he got the HC job tho?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts on Reich. I like him a lot, former QB thatís got experience.
    1. Been on numerous fired Staffs
    2. Fired, but not a bad offense in SD.
    3. Lots of connections to build a coaching staff
    4. Wentz and the Eagles have played very well under him
    5. Former motivational speaker. That combined w/ being a former player lends well to him being able to reach a locker-room.
    6. Just looks like a Bears coach IMO
    7. My staff prediction under Reich: Mike McCoy OC (SD Connection), Chuck Pagano DC (worked w/ his brother in SD)

My vote was Jim Bob Cooter, but I've backed off that heavily considering our team has terrible WR, a strong running game, and what looks like good QB in Mitch, but not someone I'd be comfortable throwing 40+x a game consistently... Had we gotten Mahomes maybe that would have been better...but even then I don't think we're at all built to be a team that Jim Bob Cooter's offense would work well with (and it would be a criminal waste of Howard/Cohen/Cunningham)

Playing to our strengths, and what our team is being built as (a New Orleans North), my #1 guy right now is the NO offensive Coordinator (Carmicheal) and retaining Fangio. I'd ideally make Carmicheal also handle offensive playcalling, while more or less giving Fangio complete autonomy on the defensive side..

Hopefully just being better paid/less inhibited will be enough to retain Vic without truly promoting him. Granted, I do wish our defensive scheme was more aggressive in general, but I don't know that there's any coaches on the hot seat that could outdo what Fangio is already doing (The former Seattle guy looks to be saving his job right now, and he was perhaps my other thought for DC)
    Last edited by Epyon; 11-21-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Carmichael just doesnít strike me as a Chicago type coach. Seems more mild mannered. Thinking this is why he has been passed over previously.

Bears interviewed him last go round.

If we can pull off josh McDaniels I can see his OC as Mike McCoy (Josh OC in Den) and DC being Ed Donatell (DB coach with Josh in Den)

I think this would be the best case scenario for the Bear and mitchís development

Iím really warming up to Pat Shurmer. Andy Reid coaching tree being with him in philly from 2002-2008 as QB coach with those high flying offenses based around McNabb and Westbrook with no receivers except TO for two years. Oversaw development of mcnabb, and made Jeff Garcia a lot of money in his 7 years as QB coach under Reid. Was with Reid in philly from 99-08. Had a **** show of QBs as OC with the rams in 2009 (bulger, boller, and some jack wagon named Null), then got Bradford as a rookie in 2010 with the rams as OC getting to the playoffs. Became HC of the Browns in 2011 with colt McCoy starting at qb and a sprinkle of Seneca Wallace. In 2012 as HC of browns got 14 TDs and 17 INTs from rookie Weeden before getting canned. Went to philly is OC in 2013 with chip Kelly, getting 27 TDs and 2 INTs out of Nick foles. Then in 2014 as OC in philly got 27 TDs and 21 INTs out of Foles, Mark Sanchez, and Barkley. In 2025 as OC and interim HC got 19 TDs and 14 INTs out of Bradford. In 2016 as OC for Vikings got Bradford the best completion percentage ever, then in 2017 as OC for Vikings has somehow worked magic to make case keenum look like Steve young (prone to hyperbole, but itís case freaking keenum).

With how bad the Vikings o line looked coming into the season, keenum and Bradford have only taken 10 sacks while posting 97 qb rating. I think that Mitch has a bit more talent than both those QBs, plus he developed theilan and sighs into nfl wide receivers if not pro bowlers (UDFA and 5th round pick), and has no RB threat since cook went down.

If we go offensive minded HC I like shurmer the more I look into him. He should have plenty of connections around the league with how many positions he has held over his 18 years as an nfl coach. Maybe he can pull in spagnuolo to run the D if he gets canned in NY (assuming he can run a 3-4). He had brad Childress as OC in Cleveland and dick jauron as DC (jauron hurts his resume in my book though). Maybe he could pull a DC off Minnesotaís staff.

I still prefer a defensive HC but offensive seems to be the trend. He has done a lot with trash QBs and not had a good talent to work with since McNabb. He has shown a tendency to put his offenses in the best position to excel through their strengths and hide weaknesses. Iíd take him over McDaniels. Especially considering the Andy Reid coaching tree versus the belichick coaching tree.

Reid: Brad Childress, Jon harbaugh, spagnuolo, Leslie Frazier, Rivera, Bowles, Pederson, McDermott

Belichick: crennell, groh, mcdaniels, mangini, Saban, Schwartz, OíBrien
    Ditka, Bears, Sausage, and Unleashing the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by nabster26 View Post
    If we can pull off josh McDaniels I can see his OC as Mike McCoy (Josh OC in Den) and DC being Ed Donatell (DB coach with Josh in Den)

I think this would be the best case scenario for the Bear and mitchís development
    McDaniels just has a douchey punchable face. But to be serious, I take issue with the fact that he completely lost that broncos team in the second half of 2009 and into 2010 (started 6-0 then went 5-17 in the rest of his time there). That was something that takes a lot of new and clear evidence to get over.

Aside from the cutler ordeal, he had a trestman like exit in Denver. If it was in Cleveland or detroit pre stafford, or raiders when al Davis was senile I could turn a blind eye more to it. But Denver is a team that actually tries to win in a competent manner. After spygate 2.0 they were just glad to have a reason to get rid of him it seemed like. Lack of communication skills with assistants and front office hurt them internally and lack of ability to relate with players reflected in the teams play. They scored plenty of garbage time stats with him as HC. Sure, he is older now, but Iím not sure that is enough to overcome some of the leadership issues that he showed to be lacking in that are needed in a HC. Iíll pass on that wildcard.
    Ditka, Bears, Sausage, and Unleashing the Dragon

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    To me.... Either forsee Harbaugh as a proven guy trying to keep Fangio

Or

Going with a young guy like Frank Reich or Matt LaFleur

It will be interesting to see how it pans out as i think a handful of teams will be looking for a head coach. I bet Fangio gets an offer too.

I don't think we have any chance at Harbaugh TBH.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    I don't think we have any chance at Harbaugh TBH.

I am not so sure. If he does not beat Ohio State this weekend, I think he may come back to the Pros. He was brought in to compete in the B1G and he is like 1-4 against Ohio st and Michigan State, and maybe 1-5 after this weekend. He may get frustrated or the Athletic Dept may get frustrated that he has not been able to do much in the rivalry games.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanchwarmer View Post
    I am not so sure. If he does not beat Ohio State this weekend, I think he may come back to the Pros. He was brought in to compete in the B1G and he is like 1-4 against Ohio st and Michigan State, and maybe 1-5 after this weekend. He may get frustrated or the Athletic Dept may get frustrated that he has not been able to do much in the rivalry games.
    His struggles against top competition could be a reason for him to stay too since he hasn't brought the program all the way back to where he (and they) would like to be.

There's an article in the Sun Times about Michigan potentially offering him a lifetime contract, whatever that means... but it just seems very unlikely that he's leaving there anytime soon.

I do think he'll coach in the pros again, but not in the near future.

Last edited by DamnGoat; 11-22-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Harbaugh isnít going anywhere.

Iím still trying to figure out who I want as the next head coach.

I wouldnt touch McDaniels with a ten foot pole. Hes a good coordinator, but I dont trust him as the head guy. That Denver stint was a total abortion. He seems to have Marc Trestman levels of lockeroom management. Which of course is not good.

I dont have any specific names right now but I want the next HC to be someone who is an offensive guru, someone who has developed young QB's before and who can tailor an offense towards your team strengths. Someone who has enough connections on the defensive side of the ball, so we dont end up in another Mel Tucker situation and take a huge step backwards on defense. I would love to keep Vic, but I dont see it happening.

Whoever fits that profile is who I want.
    Last edited by Cubs420; 11-25-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Reich intrigues me a lot being a former QB. Wentz took a big step this year. Could be the same for Trubisky.

Quote Originally Posted by toovey107 View Post
    Reich intrigues me a lot being a former QB. Wentz took a big step this year. Could be the same for Trubisky.
    Like Reich a good bit also see Carmichael Jr. And Nagy as good options. This team needs some life breathed into it like the Rams got with McVay this year.

Trubiscuits and Biscuit Boyz CEO and Owner

Chicago Bears Mock Offseason Champion

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast