Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Offensive or Defensive-minded replacement?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offensive

21 87.50%
  • Defensive

3 12.50%
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Toub might be a great HC (there's no way of telling until he's actually a HC), but he better bring a superstar OC & DC with him for fans to feel comfortable with that hire.

Anyway, maybe they interview Toub, but I'd be very surprised if he's the next HC. Albright is pretty unreliable too FWIW.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I dont know who he could get we OC and DC. But it worries me that most guys will get HC offers.

Toub is probably too much of a risk for the Bears after the Fox debacle. I think he can be a good HC, but the Bears really need a young, open minded and probably offense oriented HC.
    Hire an older, established DC, Fangio if he would stick around.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    I dont know who he could get we OC and DC. But it worries me that most guys will get HC offers.
    I don't know either. The only way I could get behind someone like Toub is if he had Kubs as his OC and retained Fangio (or brought in someone similar). All of that seems very unlikely and I don't believe for a second he's the type of coach Pace will target anyway.

MGB is offline mundayne ejaculation man
    Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    The problem with toub (or any non offensive coach) is if the OC does well with Mitch they will get a HC gig down the road. Iíd like Mitch to stick to one system and one offensive coach and not have to learn new systems and personalities every couple of years.
    Amen. My thoughts exactly. That's why I think we NEED to go with an Offensive guru as HC.

I don't know either. The only way I could get behind someone like Toub is if he had Kubs as his OC and retained Fangio (or brought in someone similar). All of that seems very unlikely and I don't believe for a second he's the type of coach Pace will target anyway.

So many connections through that Reid tree. I was thinking Childress/Kubiak/DeFlippo (if he doesnít get his own HC, needs a OC promotion).

Just watched a NFL round table w/ Andy Reid assistants who are HCs, very cool video. I recommend it, no link just google it.

Makes me more interested in Nagy now actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ho_va2006 View Post
    So many connections through that Reid tree. I was thinking Childress/Kubiak/DeFlippo (if he doesnít get his own HC, needs a OC promotion).

Just watched a NFL round table w/ Andy Reid assistants who are HCs, very cool video. I recommend it, no link just google it.

Makes me more interested in Nagy now actually.

The prob with trying to get DeFilipo as an OC is that they can block him from leaving. Teams can block any coaches from being poached unless their getting a HC position. The Eagles actually blocked the Jets from interviewing him last year for an OC position. They are probably assuming Reich will be poached and want to keep DeFilipo to be their future OC. So if we want him itís HC or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    The prob with trying to get DeFilipo as an OC is that they can block him from leaving. Teams can block any coaches from being poached unless their getting a HC position. The Eagles actually blocked the Jets from interviewing him last year for an OC position. They are probably assuming Reich will be poached and want to keep DeFilipo to be their future OC. So if we want him itís HC or nothing.
    Nope, his contract is up at the end of the season. Canít block him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ho_va2006 View Post
    Nope, his contract is up at the end of the season. Canít block him anymore.

Ooooh nice!

Itís seeming less and less likely that the Texansí football hierarchy will return intact in 2018. Thatís the final year of coach*Bill OíBrienís deal, and itís hard to imagine the team would go into it with that unresolved and the relationship between coaching and scouting what it is now. If heís available, thereís little question that OíBrien would vault to the top of many teamsí lists.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/21/fu...nfl-notes-mmqb

Easily my top choice if he becomes available.

Live in Texas, don't really follow Texas sports teams...what's so great about O'Brien that we'd want him in Chicago?
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Live in Texas, don't really follow Texas sports teams...what's so great about O'Brien that we'd want him in Chicago?
    He's taken teams led by Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler to the Playoffs (division was bad and his D was very good) and had the Texans looking great Offensively before Watson tore his ACL.

He's taken teams led by Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler to the Playoffs (division was bad and his D was very good) and had the Texans looking great Offensively before Watson tore his ACL.

I live in Texas as well, watch a fair amount of the Texans play because they are just on here. I have mixed feeling on bill O'Brien. On one hand, like you said he got a lot out of teams led by Hoyer / Savage / Osweiler. On the other hand, their defense was great those years and rookie Kyle Orton won 11 games with a D that good under Lovie.

My main issues with him root from the fact that he had to have a hand in the Texans spending big on Osweiler. It's almost like finding a terrible QB to make great is a goal of former Pat's OCs (mcdaniels with Cassel / orton). I can't imagine a move like that without the head coach who is an offensive guy signing off on it. That combined with how he went to Penn state, said he wasn't going to leave cause he made a commitment to his players, then coached one more year and left. Just not sure about his character. He has a very quirky personality too. Not sure how he would be with Chicago media, would probably be pretty funny to watch though.

One more thing is he seems to outsmart himself sometimes. Playcalling decisions can be kind of bizarre at times. Mutliple times this year there were spots where they clearly should have been trying to keep the clock rolling some and he kept running short out routes to the sidelines or QB outside runs that ended out of bounds. Then other times where they needed to be throwing and they kept running up the middle and hurt themselves on clock management.

I do think he is a decent head coach, but in four seasons with the Texans he has managed to tread water almost exclusively on the back of his defense. Three straight 9-7 records concerns me, cause he couldn't find a way to improve from year to year with a young ascending defense that is now getting aged and banged up (I know his QBs sucked, but that divison was terrible for a lot of that time and he thought Osweiler was a good fix, and likely had a hand in passing on Derek Carr in the 2nd round when he went the very next pick). He had Watson looking good, but idk how much of that goes on O'Brien and how much on Watson, cause Watson was going to make plays regardless, and likely regress some as the season went on, considering his INT % / TD % and amount of off the spot throws.
    Ditka, Bears, Sausage, and Unleashing the Dragon

I donít get why they would get rid of him if heís so great though.

What's impressive to me is that he went from Savage to Watson and completely adapted a new scheme to play to Watson's strengths overnight. The Bears, well, they are still clueless.

I just have to ask the question, if he is that good - why are they letting him go?

I understand that **** happens, but what we don't need is John Fox Part 2.

Very interested to see who is available in January.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast