Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyrod Benched

Tyrod Benched

It will be a game a back ups Sunday. Rivers with a concussion probably wont play. If they were going to make this move, doing it against a 3-6 Chargers team, not playing Rivers, is the game to do it. The next person gone if this doesn't work will be Dennison. Per Cappoccio from WGR, Dennison wasn't McDermott's first choice at OC and after the last two games, one of 2 things needed to happen. Either Tyrod or Dennison gets the boot. This Charger team will be a good start for Peterman, as they are not a competitive team.

Interesting move by McDermott. We are sitting in the final playoff spot, with the worse offensive line in the NFL. Either he feels a rookie, who isn't as mobile, gives us the best chance to win, or McDermott is packing it in and seeing if Peterman is the guy for 2018. With McDermott saying yesterday Tyrod is our QB, then changing that today, is also questionable.

This blew my mind.

Watch for bosa to have a big game. They're framing it as a move to win but I'd say it's been clear all season/offseason that they are building for the future. I think this is to decide how early/if they should take a QB in the draft. There is no way Peterman gives us the best chance to win in any way. I hope they let him air it out. Dennison should go. I'd be looking for an aggressive college OC - get some creativity going. These old school safe guys are a thing of the past. The bears for example suck, but man are they fun to watch with how tricky they are. I'm always surprised we don't see more creativity in this league. You don't see many failed trick plays, they usually work out at least as good as running your guy up the middle into a wall.

On my highschool team (obviously a poor comparison but just my person experience), we had some old school coaches my first year and we came in last place with 1 win for the season. The next year we got a new creative offensive minded coach who had some crazy plays and we won the championship. Keep in mind that we also had the smallest school/crop of talent in the city.
    The creativity let's you get away with a lot. The players and coaches on the opposing teams are always second guessing everything and the momentum it gives your team a massive boost on both sides of the ball.

And no, the wild cat was only creative the first year when the dolphins did it. That's not at all what I'm looking for.

I agree 100%.

Against the Chargers, Whether it is Peterman or Tyrod, I think we win this game. However, do they really think that Peterman gives us the best chance to beat KC and New England coming up?

We own the last playoff spot. A win in LA, further pads that. By next Monday, we may be two games up for the last playoff spot and McDermott will have Peterman play against the two best teams in the AFC with that all on the line.

The bottom line is, we got crushed against the Jets and Saints. The Jets, who only had 7 sacks coming into that game, sacked Tyrod 7 times that game. McDermott is blaming that all on Tyrod? Then against the Saints, they scored on every single possession. Tyrod threw only 5 passes the 2nd half. McDermott is basing the loss on the Saints, on those 5 second half throws? Then he is putting Peterman in, based on the Saints prevent defense to eat up the clock in garbage time with a minute left in the game?

This is all peculiar to me. The margin of error, to put this in McDermott's favor is miniscule. The only way McDermott comes out on top here is if Peterman blows everyone away. But if McDermott, holding the final playoff spot in the AFC, after 18 years of not getting into the playoffs, looses these next few games, after taking Tyrod out, McDermott is all but done. Especially if Peterman gets sacked like crazy and we see that he cannot allude sacks the way Tyrod can.

I am as shocked as anyone that McDermott is making this move now. We have lost 4 games. Against Carolina and Cinci, they were very close games that McDermott himself lost for us. Against the Jets and Saints, it was because of our Defense. It is not like Tyrod lost 2 close games here. We were out coached and out classed and blown out of the water with the Saints not even needing to punt. After two defensive blowouts, Peterman is his big move? I'm amazed. This is a controversy and potential dumpster fire that could have been completely avoided. As I said, playing ok and losing will not save McDermott in any way. Peterman winning is the only thing that can save McDermott.

San Fran just made a huge trade for Goropollo, and they haven't even played him yet and they are winless, yet, McDermott is going to make a QB change after our defense got destroyed two weeks in a row, while we are still in the playoffs.

The stat to watch next week is the bills are just a couple sacks away from being the most sacked team in the league, while the Chargers are the third best team in the league at sacking the QB. Peterman might be able to get rid of the ball quicker, but is it going to be quick enough to avoid arrant throws causing turnovers? Is he going to be that much quicker at getting rid of the ball to not be sacked? If Peterman played the Jets and Saints, does McDermott think we win those games? I thought we have seen it all.
    Last edited by sabres11; 11-15-2017 at 01:22 PM.

hopefully they saw something on film that alerted them that tyrod wasnt exicuting the game plan. no idea. ill be watching come sunday.

As much as I like Tyrod, I hope there was something to that shows that. But, as I mentioned before, after the Saints opened the 2nd half with a TD, the Bills came out and ran it 3 times and punted it away. He then only threw 5 passes throughout the remainder of the game. I could understand the move if he threw it 100 times, trying to mount a comeback, but failed miserably. That I can totally agree with. But Dennison didn't even try to win that game. Late in the 2nd Qtr, 3rd and 15, the Bills are running draws.

Against the Jets, in the 3rd qtr, when they finally gave up on the run game, Tyrod threw for almost 300 yards. He still came up short, but at least they tried and he completed passes. Those passes and yards were as much as junk time stats, as Petermans stats against the Saints. I just don't get it.

So I would like to know what some people think. If Peterman played against the Jets and Saints, do the Bills win those games?

Who knows if this is true or not, but NFL live just said that their sources are speculating that this move came down by Pegula and was forced upon McDermott.

Also reported Tyrod is in total shock today, because of what he was told by the coach after the game.

This is ludicrous. Buffalo has had a mentality of half-in/half-out all season. This is what perennial losing/at-best mediocre teams do.

To me, this seems like:
    - yet another cap cutting move for next year
    - a way to gauge if Peterman is the qb of the future
    - if not, they will have to sell the farm to move up to draft a QB (with 5 wins already we have no chance of having a top pick to land a qb)
    - which begs the question, if this was the approach why not trade Tyrod for draft picks at the deadline

No clue how Peterman could fare better behind our O Line (just picked up chargers defense in fantasy).

If this came from the pegulas then we're totally ****ed and I may consider becoming a full time stealers fan. Sabers - if you get any more info on that please share.

I think McDermott and Co. just don't want Tyrod back next season. They never wanted him. They took the first opportunity they could to bench him, and eventually cut him this offseason.

Tyrod is a game manager, but he extends plays and does not turn the ball over. With the Bills in decent contention for a playoff spot, his type of play can help get them into the playoffs. The Bills need to win the turnover differential. I think Peterman hurts them in that regard.

The Chargers are not a bad team, despite their record. Rivers not playing would be a big help, but throwing Peterman out there versus the Chargers, Chiefs and Patriots is risky.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    If this came from the pegulas then we're totally ****ed and I may consider becoming a full time stealers fan. Sabers - if you get any more info on that please share.

It is all speculation by them. I doubt the Owners are intervening and getting involved in personal. It would sicken me if they are listening to fans and made the coach do this.

But NFL Live's argument is, McDermott went to the podium the day before and said Tyrod is the starting QB. So if he was considering a QB move, he would have never said that and then danced around the question, as a million other coaches have done. So since he said Tyrod is the QB, then to totally change that the very next day, was he then told to make the move, or is this just a knee jerk reaction, without truly giving it much thought.

Steven A Smith, who I don't like, thinks that players came to the coach and GM and said they wanted the change. So it is all speculation and guesses.

In a couple weeks, I will be having dinner with my wifes friend and her boyfriend, who is a former Bills player. I cannot wait to get his take on this. From what I am seeing from comments on his facebook page, I don't see to many votes of confidence for McDermott. What I am seeing on his page, is a lot of people hoping that Tyrod goes to another team next year and wins the superbowl rather than seeing people hoping that Peterman succeeds and this move works out for McDermott.
    Last edited by sabres11; 11-16-2017 at 11:38 AM.

What it all boils down to his this, McDermott is basing is entire legacy as a future coach in the NFL, on this very move. If he gets fired in 2-3seasons, what can he hang is hat on to show other owners, he did a good job? If this move fails, nothing. Him and Bean are finished.

Future teams will point out that we held the last playoff spot and that after our defense allowed 500 yards rushing and 9 rushing TD's, in just two games, and they will question why pulling the QB was the result, for a rookie. They will also point out that this team held running backs at bay, until they decided to trade Marcel before the Jets game. They will also point out that Tyrod could have been 7-0, if it wasn't for the horrible game clock debacle against the Panthers and Bengals. They will also point out letting Jonathon Williams go and replacing him with Fat Tolbert who has been worthless on short yardage and goaline plays and that he has more runs for negative yards than positive. They will also question why this offensive line needs have never been addressed. They are getting rid of players like Watkins, a couple DB's, Marcel and now Tyrod, yet, with Cordy Glenn being injured all pre season and how horrible Mills and Miller have always been, this position has been totally ignored.

Again, they will not have the time in Buffalo to build a team and develop a resume. They know that as soon as they are fired, the new coach and GM will do exactly what they did, which is get rid of all the players left over from the previous regime. McDermott and Bean's future will now solely be based on this one particular move, which is taking a playoff team, taking their starting QB out, replace him with a rookie to face the Charger, and the two best teams in the conference, in KC and the Pats.

Now if this works, holy crap. I will be amazed, happy and willing to pay for the statue of them to put up next to the stadium. But unfortunately, my brain is telling me that Peterman is going to get destroyed by the Chargers Defense. This kid may be quicker at getting the ball out, but is the time he is quicker to get the ball out, enough time for him to avoid being destroyed by the inefficiencies of our offensive line?

And what do you guys think is going to happen with McCoy now. You think teams are going to be worried about Peterman throwing, which will then free up space for McCoy to run. Teams will not be afraid of Peterman running, which they were against Tyrod so be prepared to watch the line being stacked and watching our offensive line being totally destroyed.
    Last edited by sabres11; 11-16-2017 at 11:30 AM.

It's possible that without Tyrod in there that the defenses will drop back more in coverage because there isn't nearly as much of a threat of the QB running.

I'm guessing that we're going to get a massive workload out of McCoy on Sunday. The Chargers have a decent pass defense.

The Chargers will start the game with a stacked line and every play will be an all out blitz on the QB. They will attack the QB, while stopping the run, daring Peterman to throw. If he beats the defense a couple times making them pay for the QB rushes, then they will drop back. But they will dare Peterman to throw straight from the start, trying to shatter his confidence on the first play of the game, by making him take a hit.

Remember this thread. I bet this will be buffalos first 3 plays of the game. Peterman will hike under center twice, handing it right off to McCoy for no gain. On 3rd and long, Peterman will be in shotgun attempting to pass. As we have seen pretty much all year with Dennison, run, run, pass, punt. I think WGR said the number is 7 times throughout the past 3 games, that Tyrod threw the ball on first or 2nd down. Yet, people want to believe Tyrod is the problem. The Bills run on 1st and 2nd and only throw it on 3rd, when other teams obviously know they are throwing it. Then the coverage is so tight, and the line breaks down so fast, we see the dump offs. Not to mention against NO, in the first half, on three 3rd downs, Dennison called plays where none of our WR's even ran past the first down markers. These plays were called because with no time behind our line, Dennison knew Tyrod wouldn't have time to wait for our WR's to run ten yards. So on 3 possessions, on 3rd down, we were going to punt it no matter what Tyrod did because our WR's weren't even past the marker.

For the regulars here in this forum, we will finally get to see who has been right for the last two years.

I have blamed the offensive line for 3 straight seasons. I have blamed the lack of WR's to help Tyrod (until this year). I have blamed the mickey mouse stale offensive game plan that consisted of run run run, no matter how bad it isn't working.

Others ignored all that and blamed Tyrod for just not being a good QB. His accuracy down field was always criticized, while all the critical game changing dropped passes were ignored. Tyrod solely got the blame, for only having one 300 yard game in his career. Ignoring the fact that this team, with 3 different coaches, only want to run the ball, punt to get good field position and to try to win the game with Defense and Special teams, rather than the offense.

We will now see how another QB plays with the same personnel on the field.

I will be watching this game hoping that Peterman is the next Tom Brady. I will be hoping that McDermott is the next Bellichick, and praying this QB move works as good as it did for NE, when they made the bold move to give the reigns to Brady and dumping Bledsoe. But can we really be this lucky? Can this offensive line protect Peterman? Tyrod definitely lost his poise on the field. He was so rattled, he couldn't make accurate throws when he was rushed anymore. I blamed the line, others blamed Tyrod. Peterman will settle this. I would love to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    I think McDermott and Co. just don't want Tyrod back next season. They never wanted him. They took the first opportunity they could to bench him, and eventually cut him this offseason.

Tyrod is a game manager, but he extends plays and does not turn the ball over. With the Bills in decent contention for a playoff spot, his type of play can help get them into the playoffs. The Bills need to win the turnover differential. I think Peterman hurts them in that regard.

The Chargers are not a bad team, despite their record. Rivers not playing would be a big help, but throwing Peterman out there versus the Chargers, Chiefs and Patriots is risky.
    I agree with this and I don't think that the Pegula's had anything to do with it. Teams don't accumulate that kind of draft equity and not take a QB. Between that, their moves to get there, and Tyrod's contract, the writing has been on the wall since the beginning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast