Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Mets Considering Pursuit Of Japanese Phenom Shohei Ohtani!!

According to a report at Newsday, the Mets are kicking around the idea of making a run at Japanese two-way phenom Shohei Ohtani. The 23-year old Ohtani, expected to be posted this offseason by the Nippon Ham Fighters, is one of the most dynamic young talents that baseball has seen in a while and has a legitimate chance to be a star in the majors both as a pitcher and a position player, thanks to a fastball that touches 100 mph and light-tower power. All the Mets would have to do to be able to negotiate with Ohtani is submit a $20 million posting fee.
    - Amazin' Avenue

Newsday: https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...ani-1.14982402

ORLANDO, Fla. — The Mets captured the city’s imagination with their improbable World Series run in 2015 but have been chasing that feeling ever since, and stumbled badly last season to the brink of becoming totally irrelevant.

Want to know how to change all that? A way to restore the damaged pride of a franchise looking to instantly matter again?

Sign Shohei Otani.
    - David Lennon
    Last edited by MJNetsIsles; 11-15-2017 at 12:15 AM.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

They'd be doing themselves a disservice if they *didn't* make a run at this guy.

The Mets would be smart to give Otani the best deal with the shortest path to FA. He's arguably the best FA on the market and they should be all in on him. That said, I'm almost certain he'll be a Yankee.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Do it Sandy! Sign him!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Couldn't Make The Cut As A Denver Broncos Cheerleader

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Single game ticket sales go on the week, Mets fans need some excitement from the team to buy.

Time to talk about thing Mets have no shot of doing, but will get fans excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Single game ticket sales go on the week, Mets fans need some excitement from the team to buy.

The Mets will tease the imminent signing of a Japanese phenom. What they won't tell you is that the phenom's name is Ichiro Suzuki.

Quote Originally Posted by eeek78 View Post
    The Mets will tease the imminent signing of a Japanese phenom. What they won't tell you is that the phenom's name is Ichiro Suzuki.
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Last time Met fans got all excited about our team signing a Japanese star was when we signed Kaz (don't confuse me with Hideki) Matsui.

How'd that work out?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Last time Met fans got all excited about our team signing a Japanese star was when we signed Kaz (don't confuse me with Hideki) Matsui.

How'd that work out?
    You're forgetting about Hisanori Takahashi and Ryota Igarashi lol

Is this an April Fool's joke? Zero, absolutely zero chance of this happening. Our big signing will be some average bullpen arm.

They are going to have to post 20 million, and I think the Mets only have 750K to sign him. They are going to have wheel and deal to find more IFA money to sign him.

The Yankees have 3.5 million and Tanaka.
    Last edited by Claymation; 11-15-2017 at 03:30 PM.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    They are going to have to post 20 million, and I think the Mets only have 750K to sign him. They are going to have weal and deal to find more IFA money to sign him.

The Yankees have 3.5 million and Tanaka.
    Yep, that's what's being said is that they'll need to make a couple of trades to get the money right so it will be interesting watching what they do now. If they make a couple of trades pretty quickly then they could really make a case for going after this kid. There's already rumors of them looking into trades for J.Kipnis or D.Gordon. How great would that be if we traded for one of those two to play 2B and then got this kid as well? I'd be very happy with that and then they can do some work on the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    You're forgetting about Hisanori Takahashi and Ryota Igarashi lol
    lol, i don't recall too many people getting excited over either of those two any more than we did over Tsuyoshi Shinjo, our answer to Ichiro.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

We should definitely go after this kid. He wouldn't cost much.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Maccanman View Post
    Is this an April Fool's joke? Zero, absolutely zero chance of this happening. Our big signing will be some average bullpen arm.
    No it won't be. This isnt the completely broke Mets from 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post

None of this really matters. The fans who are going to buy tickets are going to do so because they want to see the Mets regardless of acquisitions they make this offseason. Where the additional tickets will be sold is in what kind of offseason they have. Its not like baseball tickets are hard to get, even when the Mets are good you can get a regular season game ticket on Stubhub for 6 bucks.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast