Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    I just don't think well-balanced offenses succeed in today's playoff atmosphere. Young, fresh legs tend to energize teams for stretches of time in the regular season, but that's it.

Well balanced offenses tend to get shut down in the playoffs, then outscored by more potent, star-laden offenses. A huge part of defense is effort, and in the playoffs you better believe even the not-so-good defensive players will be going all out. You can't "effort" your way into an effective offense.
    Ya I agree with your take. I don't think they could have too much playoff success but in the RS I think their grind it out'ness will help to get a good record. Defense/ability to switch are obviously the strength and offensively 3 point shot to at least keep things spaced to run a system with 4 players who can attack on a possession even if not elite.

Take Atlanta in the east for example. Milsap/Horford and Teague/Korver/Carrol. No go to superstar and they were a top 10 offense (so they won't be the worst offense, maybe aim for 15 range RS). When it came time to face Lebron (even with injuries) Atlanta just wasn't close to a real star like that but it can be effective in 82 game season.

How good do you think this starting lineup would be?

.500 team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

They would be nice defensively but struggle a good deal offensively. Not a single guy there creates his own shot.

PROCESSING

What advanced metrics rank Middleton highly when he's shooting 30.6% from 3?

They would need Eric Gordon and Lue Williams off the bench for scoring

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    How good do you think this starting lineup would do given a competent bench?

PG: Patrick Beverely
    SG: Kris Middleton
    SF: Robert Covington
    PF: Draymond Green
    C: Steven Adams
    All of these players are very good defensively and considered excellent or elite glue guys. Additionally, all of them have generally very good advanced stats. So how well would this cast of elite "role players" do?
    That's a pretty good starting five, but what's their bench like? Without a decent bench, they'll be too gassed to do well in the playoffs.
    They're good defensively, but that defense will slip as they have to expend more energy on offense. We've already seen this with guys like Jimmy and Kahwi.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I think it is probably a playoff team but it wouldn't be a true contender. Let's say right around the Memphis range as a team?

I think it has can be a top 5 defense with a likely bottom 10 offense (last year Memphis was 7th and 19th). While they don't have any sort of elite offensive talent they do have spacing and Beverly/Green/Middleton can each carry some load there (scoring and passing). If they had a 6th man scorer off the bench it would definitely help though.
    Surely you jest, that's a ducking historic defense

50 wins is a decent estimate but I wager that's the floor here

There's like zero shot creators in the lineup. They could be great defensively but would have series offensive issues.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I think it largely depends who is coaching honestly. I think Pop could win a championship with that lineup
    Official Kevin King Crew

Quote Originally Posted by PAOboston View Post
    There's like zero shot creators in the lineup. They could be great defensively but would have series offensive issues.
    I think with modern offenses the creator idea is not as important as a shot maker and that's where that offense would struggle. For the majority of possessions moving the ball and the players being in constant motion creates the shots ... but someone has to hit them. There are always some iso shots of course and you are right that group would struggle there.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think with modern offenses the creator idea is not as important as a shot maker and that's where that offense would struggle. For the majority of possessions moving the ball and the players being in constant motion creates the shots ... but someone has to hit them. There are always some iso shots of course and you are right that group would struggle there.
    I think where this would really struggle is other than Green, these are all guys that usually it's a "if you possess it throw it up". They can pass and keep it moving, but for a guy like RoCo and Adams, their forte isn't taking it and breaking down the guy in front of them.

PROCESSING

Middleton is a streaky shooter at the beginning of the season. Then gets heated up end of the year to make up for the beginning of the season slumps. But man not so sure I want Middleton on his next contract. His final year is player option and will opt out. I'm hoping Bucks cash in and get a younger guy on rookie deal that can put up near 20 a night like Warren or Kuzma or Brown. Wishful thinking on my part. But no way we can keep Parker and Middleton on their next deals. Unless we can dump Delly or Henson or Teletovic.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Do we not think that Middleton, Green and Covington would be able to increase their scoring output to offset their supposed lack of offense?
    Yes. The best offenses don't rely on iso scoring. Those are the types of players that would be constantly screening, cutting, and moving the ball. Their offense would be about hitting open shots and finishing. They wouldn't be elite offensively but they would be elite defensively. The Jazz last year won 51 games with that formula. This group of 5 is better than last year's Jazz.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I think where this would really struggle is other than Green, these are all guys that usually it's a "if you possess it throw it up". They can pass and keep it moving, but for a guy like RoCo and Adams, their forte isn't taking it and breaking down the guy in front of them.
    This is the sort of stuff I was talking about that we'd need to see what skills develop to fill the vacuum. We know shooters will shoot as often as they feel they can get away with it, so I think how these 5 team guys develop is what's really interesting, and not possible to predict. I suppose we should assign a coach to this group to be even able to speculate how their games would change.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast