ESPN 2017-18 RPM list

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

Highlight:

1. James Harden
    2. Demarcus Cousins
    3. Stephen Curry
    4. Nikola Jokic
    5. Al Horford

Omgooses!!! That can't be right! RPM is the bestest most perfect most amazing most flawless impact stat ever! Yet at the same time... DMC is selfish, he's a stat-stuffer, he doesn't make his team better, he doesn't impact the game like he should! There's a contradiction here!

14 game sample size... but something is wrong here. There's no way DMC has been 2nd most impactful in 14 games.

On a more serious note... DMC should regress on the RPM list but you guys are BS'ing if you don't think he's a helluva player that helps his team.
    Last edited by Vee-Rex; 11-14-2017 at 04:02 PM.

BELIEVELAND WE CHAMPS!!! 2016!!!

Jahlil Okafor is 136 and above John Wall and Devin Booker

Lol how I love advanced stats.

Sigh. RPM is not explanatory, it's predictive. It doesn't tell you what happened, it tells you what it THINKS will happen in the future. RPM uses weighted priors.

Rampant misuse like this is why people distrust analytics.

All I saw was "1. James Harden" and stopped reading. That's all I needed to see.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    All I saw was "1. James Harden" and stopped reading. That's all I needed to see.
    This is modern arguing. Find ANYTHING to support your position and the argument MUST be over
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    This is modern arguing. Find ANYTHING to support your position and the argument MUST be over
    Work smarter, not harder. That's my motto.

Just another stat that shows the value of the God Embiid.

If I had to pick, PER is the bestest most perfect most amazing most flawless impact stat ever.

Player Efficiency Rating
    1. Giannis Antetokounmpo • MIL 32.2
    2. LeBron James • CLE 29.9
    3. Anthony Davis • NOP 29.9
    4. James Harden • HOU 29.2
    5. Kristaps Porzingis • NYK 28.8

No phonies there. Cousins is 12th. The fact that he's having a career year in points/rebounds/assists all at age 27 is pretty cool. I love N.O. going big and can't wait to see that duo in the playoffs.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    If I had to pick, PER is the bestest most perfect most amazing most flawless impact stat ever.

Player Efficiency Rating

No phonies there. Cousins is 12th. The fact that he's having a career year in points/rebounds/assists all at age 27 is pretty cool. I love N.O. going big and can't wait to see that duo in the playoffs.
    The problem in NO is the same as it's been since AD was drafted ... not enough good guard play.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post

Player Efficiency Rating

That last statement is too early. They have had such an easy schedule and their wins are against Sacramento, LAL, LAC, CLE, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, Indiana. I could argue 4 those teams are bottom 5. Haven’t had a good win yet. Their wing play is badly exposed and Jrue has been average and for that roster he has to be great.

PER is the best analytic stat though I agree. RPM is probably second for a tell all both end of the court impact for a long term sample only.

I'm curious. Why do people think PER is the best metric? It's extremely dated and Hollinger did not take it with him when he left ESPN for a reason. Every move he's made with the Grizz has been the complete opposite of what PER would suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The problem in NO is the same as it's been since AD was drafted ... not enough good guard play.
    The question to me though is how much guard play do you really want? Davis and Cousins are the best play-making frontcourt in the NBA. I think Jrue works at PG and Moore is fine at SG. They are light on wing talent though. If that's what you meant I agree.

Kristaps Porzingis

Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    That last statement is too early. They have had such an easy schedule and their wins are against Sacramento, LAL, LAC, CLE, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, Indiana. I could argue 4 those teams are bottom 5. Haven’t had a good win yet. Their wing play is badly exposed and Jrue has been average and for that roster he has to be great.

PER is the best analytic stat though I agree. RPM is probably second for a tell all both end of the court impact for a long term sample only.
    It's too early for me to want to see them in the playoffs? Isn't that my personal preference?

Kristaps Porzingis

Cousins will never get the respect he deserves because all he does is whine and cry. I like the guy but that constant whining and temper tantrum is what gives the illusion that he's just a baby. Pelicans are just lacking in perimeter players. They frickin suck. Jrue Holiday scammed them.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    I'm curious. Why do people think PER is the best metric? It's extremely dated and Hollinger did not take it with him when he left ESPN for a reason. Every move he's made with the Grizz has been the complete opposite of what PER would suggest.
    I can only speak for myself but for me it's because it is an all encompassing stat and it gives a pretty accurate snapshot when used correctly. For example, we have the PSD best 10 players of all-time list as:

1. Michael Jordan (#1 PER)
    2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (#11 PER)
    3. Lebron James (#2 PER)
    4. Wilt Chamberlain (#4 PER)
    5. Tim Duncan (#13 PER)
    6. Shaquille O'Neal (#3 PER)
    7. Magic Johnson (#14 PER)
    8. Larry Bird (#19 PER)
    9. Hakeem Olajuwon (#17 PER)
    10. Bill Russell (#102 PER)

9 out of the 10 players are ranked in the top 20 in PER. Find another stat that does that. The top 4 players in PER all ended up in the top 6 ranking. Kareem and Duncan only slipped because they played forever and got dragged down by their age 40ish seasons. I've yet to see a person on here say "stats are perfect, ignore context" but when it comes to accuracy PER does the best job of getting the list right.

Kristaps Porzingis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast