Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

2017-2018 off season Thread

@Marc Crarig
    Sandy spoke at length today about Mets’ pitching plans regarding starters and facing a lineup after the second time. Clearly bolstering bullpen is a major priority.

@Marc Crarig
    The Mets are changing the way they use their pitching, a shift that will inform way they reshape the team this offseason:

newsday.com/amp/sports/bas…

@Marc Crarig
    Here’s Sandy Alderson. Basically, Mets in the same square they started on last year re: pitching. But he thinks there’s a better plan in place to keep them healthy:

@Marc Crarig
    Alderson pretty blunt re: Dominic Smith. Clearly, that’s sending a message.

@Marc Crarig
    Per Alderson, Tom Slater will be Mets assistant hitting coach. All coaching contracts being finalized now. Formal announcement in a few days.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Basically Alderson calling Dombo a lazy fat ***

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

@mike puma
    Alderson speaking with media. Lists bullpen, second base and another power bat as important. Backing away from starting pitcher somewhat.

@puma
    Will Dom Smith have to win the first base job in spring training? "He didn't win it in September, let's put it that way," Alderson said.

@marc Carig
    Sounds like Lagares may get a lot of time in CF, even if his value is tied almost entirely to his glove. Also, Mets seriously looking at a class of relievers that would take multi-year deals ie: Reed, Minor, Morrow, Shaw. For Alderson,both would be a shift in course.

I like that the Mets are pushing Dom Smith to be better... I wonder if they are pushing Rosario too or has he won SS

https://twitter.com/nypost_mets/stat...41425811402752

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mets wining high and by that I mean a guy that had one of the highest ERA in baseball last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    @puma
    Will Dom Smith have to win the first base job in spring training? "He didn't win it in September, let's put it that way," Alderson said.
    As I've been saying.

I still see Smith as a valuable trade asset this offseason. I hope Sandy does too.

As for Lagares, yuck. I think it was Stuna who said this but the ideal way to utilize Lagares is to maximize his defense while limiting his at bats. I would still have Nimmo play the first half of games and then Lagares come in as a double switch during the 6th inning and leaving him to get maybe one to two at bats most.

He should be traded but that's just me...Nimmo or Conforto is good enough in center IMO.

Calloway was on Hot Stove last night. He was calm and articulate, a departure from his initial press conference.

He spoke of Consistency, Durability and maximizing their stuff as a recipe for success with this pitching staff.

Looked at fit and common philosophy when looking at his coaches. Experience played no part in his decision on who he and the Mets wanted.

I wonder if the Red Sox would be willing to trade Dustin Pedroia. We need a 2B and someone who hits at the top of the lineup. I haven't heard his name in rumors but wanted to throw it out there anyway.

Sure you have your Ian Kinsler and Jason Kipnis as well as other options.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

I doubt the Mets will sign Santana BUT

This is EXACTLY what they should be doing. They should take a look at the 1B market. If a guy like Santana isn't going for much, get a deal done. You can always flip Dom for a nice piece in the OF or INF.

I think the FO would rather have Dom start and fill other holes, but you need to push Dom and need to have him win the job in ST if he's the likely starter. I like that they're not just giving him the job.

A lot of this sounds like Alderson telling Smith to get his conditioning in order, which I cant blame him. That said, I don't seriously see them entertaining the idea of replacing Smith yet. Someone to caddie him? Sure but not replace.

Santana will probably get 3/42 or something. He is 32 so I wouldn't expect him to get a long term deal but in the end, metrics back him in pretty much every other aspect.

I still agree with yfern though, Smith can be used to get somebody in the infield or an elite reliever under team control. Smith for Donaldson anyone?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast