Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Did LaVar Ball outsmart the NBA? Is he a Genius?

Someone kinda brought this up in another thread. But I say we take it a bit further.

We haven't seen a player picking his location in the NBA like say Eli, Elway, or even (Sam Darnold reportedly thinking about staying in school if the Browns get the top pick).

Both teams would have had to mortgaged the future to get too the top 2.

So say teams started seeing through Lonzo's game. And maybe realized that some of the studs considerd behind him, were actually better than anticipated.

So take the top 6. Philly, BOS, PHX, SAC, ORL.

Would the Big baller Brand have had any success, or any prominenance in those locations- without spectacular production? He'd be behing Kyrie in Bos, redshirting in philly, and playing in non-basketball markets in PHX, ORL, SAC.

The only "Ball-er" locations as CHi, LAL and NYK. Chicago are near equals. Chicago has a great history of basketball in an attractive city, but will face the pressure of MJ. NY is a nice big city, embroiled with dysfunction and bright lights.

So I am asking, is LaVar Balla genius? Did he market his son, who has great talent- into a player that has superstar talent? I personally think he is an amazing business man. LAL is the perfect location for his brand, and for his family.

76ers: Markelle Fultz (G) - Washington
    Lakers: Lonzo Ball (G) - UCLA
    Celtics: Jayson Tatum (F) - Duke
    Suns: Josh Jackson (F) - Kansas
    Kings: DeAaron Fox (G) - Kentucky
    Magic: Jonathan Isaac (F) - Florida State
    Bulls: Lauri Markkanen (F) - Arizona
    Knicks: Frank Ntilikina (G) - France
    Mavericks: Dennis Smith Jr. (G) - NC State
    FIRE JKIDD. A vision we can all live with.

First off nice little troll shot at Philly.

Second off.....has nothing to do with it. Dame has a dope signature shoe and he plays in Portland. Curry has a nice shoe in San Fran. Giannis just got a signature shoe playing in Milwaukee of all places. KD/Russ got one while playing in Oklahoma City (such a basketball mecca!). LeBron build a signature shoe when in Cleveland.

No, it wasn't a smart business decision. It was a stupid one to not take a deal with one of the major ones and work your way to a signature shoe like all these other guys did. With the way the NBA is now global and social media has made which market you are in irrelevant it doesn't matter were you are, it just matters if you are good enough to be a marketing tool for the brand.

PROCESSING

He's a fantastic promoter. He's one of the most well-known "dads" in the history of sports. That has made him millions. Congrats to him. But what did Lavar Ball do to get Lonzo in LA? That was pure luck.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    First off nice little troll shot at Philly.

Second off.....has nothing to do with it. Dame has a dope signature shoe and he plays in Portland. Curry has a nice shoe in San Fran. Giannis just got a signature shoe playing in Milwaukee of all places. KD/Russ got one while playing in Oklahoma City (such a basketball mecca!). LeBron build a signature shoe when in Cleveland.

No, it wasn't a smart business decision. It was a stupid one to not take a deal with one of the major ones and work your way to a signature shoe like all these other guys did. With the way the NBA is now global and social media has made which market you are in irrelevant it doesn't matter were you are, it just matters if you are good enough to be a marketing tool for the brand.
    I think what he's asking is did Lavar sell the Lakers on picking Lonzo with the number two pick ?

My short answer is yes, he did and did a hell of a job. Ball is not the player advertised by his father at all. He was promoted to be the guy to take this Laker team to the playoffs in his rookie season. Does he look like that sort of talent to you ? I take nothing away from the kid, when it's all said and done he could very well be a great player, how ever he isnt even the best rookie on his own team

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I think what he's asking is did Lavar sell the Lakers on picking Lonzo with the number two pick ?

My short answer is yes, he did and did a hell of a job. Ball is not the player advertised by his father at all. He was promoted to be the guy to take this Laker team to the playoffs in his rookie season. Does he look like that sort of talent to you ? I take nothing away from the kid, when it's all said and done he could very well be a great player, how ever he isnt even the best rookie on his own team
    Yes, you are correct in what I was asking
    I was getting at the fact that everyone said that it was a clear cut top 2. It wasn't like the 2014 class where Jabari and Wiggy were the clear cut top 2; and if given the chance I believe those two would still be top 2. Redo this past draft? Not sure ball is a top 2 pick. And I'll stand by that 10 years down the line.
    FIRE JKIDD. A vision we can all live with.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post

Ehhhhh.....if the Lakers let themselves be sold on what Lavar was saying they have other issues.

PROCESSING

Media Manipulator like Lebron. Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    He's a fantastic promoter. He's one of the most well-known "dads" in the history of sports. That has made him millions. Congrats to him. But what did Lavar Ball do to get Lonzo in LA? That was pure luck.
    What happens to the brand if baby ball gets a long sentence in China for shoplifting?

Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    What happens to the brand if baby ball gets a long sentence in China for shoplifting?
    Nothing. He hasn't had a shoe yet.

The best question is what happens to BBB if the NCAA rules LaMelo, or whatever the youngest one is, ineligible because of a signature shoe through the families brand.

Kinda related, kinda unrelated; what I heard happened with the other shoe brands wasn't the BBB being a subbrand as the issue, but LaVar was trying to get them to guarantee contracts to his other two sons at the same time, and the brands knew what that meant and were unwilling to put themselves in that predicament.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    I was getting at the fact that everyone said that it was a clear cut top 2. It wasn't like the 2014 class where Jabari and Wiggy were the clear cut top 2; and if given the chance I believe those two would still be top 2. Redo this past draft? Not sure ball is a top 2 pick. And I'll stand by that 10 years down the line.
    You forgot Giannis was in that draft!? Lol hes not ur bae obviously. Giannis is clearly #1 on a redraft

Whoops
    Last edited by IKnowHoops; 11-13-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    You forgot Giannis was in that draft!? Lol hes not ur bar obviously. Giannis is clearly #1 on a redraft
    Giannis was the draft before.

That draft had Embiid, Smart, Saric, LaVine, Nurkic, Harris, Capela, Jokic. I'm not sure Wiggins and Parker still go 1-2 on that draft.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    That draft had a lot of deep talent (Jokic, Capela, Harris) but if there was a redraft today I don't think there's any way Aaron Gordon doesn't go #1 based on health and production. Other than last year when he played out of position, Gordon has trended straight upward.
    Eh disagree. I think even injuries included Embiid would still go #1 seeing what the result is.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    That draft had a lot of deep talent (Jokic, Capela, Harris) but if there was a redraft today I don't think there's any way Aaron Gordon doesn't go #1 based on health and production. Other than last year when he played out of position, Gordon has trended straight upward.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Ehhhhh.....if the Lakers let themselves be sold on what Lavar was saying they have other issues.
    Well think about it, they had a pg they had just drafted with a high pick the year before.
    What was the need to make a lateral move unless the Lakers were convinced Ball is the second coming of Magic ..

Why not keep Russel and simply use your pick on another talent like Tatum ?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    You take Gordon over Jokic ? You can't be serious

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast