Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    Trust me, give him full control. The Braves will be up there in 3 years max.
    Sounds like he will be in full control of all baseball ops but will only have the title of GM.
    2018 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Mike Hughes CB UCF
    Round 2: Brian O'Neill OT Pittsburgh
    Round 4: Jalyn Holmes DE Ohio State
    Round 5: Tyler Conklin TE Central Michigan
    Round 5: Daniel Carlson K Auburn
    Round 6: Colby Gossett G Appalachian State
    Round 6: Ade Aruna DE Tulane
    Round 7: Devante Downs LB California

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Sounds like he will be in full control of all baseball ops but will only have the title of GM.
    Thats what he wanted in Toronto I think. Miss him so much, best Jays GM of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    Thats what he wanted in Toronto I think. Miss him so much, best Jays GM of all time.
    What about the GM that won you a WS? Not a huge Jays fan, but I do remember that Alonar/ Joe Carter team being really good for a while.

I find this hire interesting. I wonder if hiring AA signals the "next phase" for the Braves. A phase were it isn't about stockpiling young talent, but rather taking all those assets and creating a contender, whether that he is trades, FA signings, or in-house promotions. Feels like AA's job is to take ATL back to relevance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He got the Blue Jays back on track, with what we have I don't see why he can't do the same here.

He's a smart guy. Acuna and albies aren't going anywhere. Doubt wright and soroka either. From there, who knows but that excites me.

This is best case scenario in my opinion, AA is a guy who believes in analytics and has his roots in scouting so we get the best of both worlds with him. He's very aggresive and is not afraid of making a bold trades (just like Coppy), guys like that are boom or bust most of the time but I like the approach. It looks like he'll get the final say in sign/trades so even though Hart has the title he no longer is our leader, well, that's what is being reported so far.

Great signing, he was my first choice as soon as I heared his name being mentioned, and like Coach said, he's a guy that will go at it and make us contender sooner rather than later using our prospects, he was part of a Dodgers FO that love prospects so he won't come here a completely destroy our farm system but he's going to use some of that farm to get us to the next level soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    What about the GM that won you a WS? Not a huge Jays fan, but I do remember that Alonar/ Joe Carter team being really good for a while.
    I couldn't resist answering this question. That GM was Pat Gillick. He builds farms, wrecks them and moves on to the next team. Look up Gillick on Wikipedia when you get a chance. He was big on picking up players from Latin America (Dominican Republic) when he was with the Jays - I'm not sure if he started that trend.

Anyways after the Jays, Gillick went on to get the O's, M's, and Phillies into the playoffs. He was the senior advisor with the Phillies when they won their WS I believe. After Gillick left the Jays it wasn't until your new GM came aboard and brought the Jays back to the playoffs.

I have no doubt AA will get the Braves into the playoffs either.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Yea this pretty much sums up what I have been reading about him. I'll be interested to see how he handles our prospects. So many are so close to being MLB ready. At some point a big deal will happen and some of these guys will get moved but I hope he continues the course that Coppy started. Let the kids continue to play and make the big deal when the time to strike is right. I don't think that time will come for another year.
    If AA is high on a prospect he most likely won't trade him. When Syndergaard was with the Jays he wasn't projected to be this good - Sanchez was the pitching gem in the Jays organization. The trade didn't work out and it's going to happen. Still I'm not mad one bit as these things happen and AA certainly made out well with his other trades. In fact AA could have done much worse than having Dickey as your 4th best starter even if it did cost the Jays Syndergaard - ask any Jays fan if they'd rather have Dickey as their 4th starter or Biagini in 2017.

Sorry for posting so much on your board. I'll leave you guys alone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    I find this hire interesting. I wonder if hiring AA signals the "next phase" for the Braves. A phase were it isn't about stockpiling young talent, but rather taking all those assets and creating a contender, whether that he is trades, FA signings, or in-house promotions. Feels like AA's job is to take ATL back to relevance.

I thought it signaled the previous GM was busted for cheating or do I have the wrong team here
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    If AA is high on a prospect he most likely won't trade him. When Syndergaard was with the Jays he wasn't projected to be this good - Sanchez was the pitching gem in the Jays organization. The trade didn't work out and it's going to happen. Still I'm not mad one bit as these things happen and AA certainly made out well with his other trades. In fact AA could have done much worse than having Dickey as your 4th best starter even if it did cost the Jays Syndergaard - ask any Jays fan if they'd rather have Dickey as their 4th starter or Biagini in 2017.

Sorry for posting so much on your board. I'll leave you guys alone now.
    Sorry guys, I don't want to sidetrack your thread but who are you saying builds farms, wrecks them and goes on to next team??

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    I thought it signaled the previous GM was busted for cheating or do I have the wrong team here
    No. Firing Coppy signaled that. ATL could have hired any number of people for the GM job. They chose to hire a guy who has a history of big trades, drafting well, and be willing to move prospects. I think that signals the desire of the brass in ATL to contend.

But you know this. You are busy baiting...

You got a great GM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    I couldn't resist answering this question. That GM was Pat Gillick. He builds farms, wrecks them and moves on to the next team. Look up Gillick on Wikipedia when you get a chance. He was big on picking up players from Latin America (Dominican Republic) when he was with the Jays - I'm not sure if he started that trend.

Anyways after the Jays, Gillick went on to get the O's, M's, and Phillies into the playoffs. He was the senior advisor with the Phillies when they won their WS I believe. After Gillick left the Jays it wasn't until your new GM came aboard and brought the Jays back to the playoffs.

I have no doubt AA will get the Braves into the playoffs either.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but idk about this one.🤔 The guy that doesnít win is better than the guy that won 2? Idk man, seems like you just donít like the guy that won 2.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but idk about this one.[emoji848] The guy that doesnít win is better than the guy that won 2? Idk man, seems like you just donít like the guy that won 2.
    I thought the same thing. Many times a GM/franchise goes "all in" to get a ring or two and then pays long term for it. 20 years is a long time, but I would put that on the GMs during those years, not on Gillick (at least in any big way).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast