Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I know I did recently, but thanks again for your service lol and all others. Politics stops at our borders and I'm grateful for all those who are willing to serve in our military.

I know quite a few vets from all branches, but on Veterans Day I mostly think of my grand parents who met in the service during WWII. My grandfather drove convoy, supply and other trucks over in Europe. My grandmother worked communications switchboards and other electrical work for the Air Force in France and I think a few other countries during the war. Where else can a Kentucky baptist meet and fall in love with a Brooklyn Jews lol. Miss them both dearly and grateful for their generation who were willing to risk their lives for a great global cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Grandpa (RIP), retired Lt. Colonel for the Air Force. Bomber pilot and two time prisoner of war. Saved every man on both planes that got shot down. His stories of the Romanian prisoner camps would bring tears to the eyes of the manliest of men.

Father, marine during Vietnam. Has yet to talk to any of us about his experiences during the war. Hurts him, but he keeps it close to the vest.

Wife, Air Force Presidential security during the Bush Sr. admin. Bomb dog handler for Air Force one and toured in Panama.
    That's pretty incredible. I've read up on a lot of the WWII prisoner camps after my buddy's grandfather described the Japanese camps which were insanely barbaric. Amazing that any made it back.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    That's pretty incredible. I've read up on a lot of the WWII prisoner camps after my buddy's grandfather described the Japanese camps which were insanely barbaric. Amazing that any made it back.

Yes. It's pretty crazy what happened to these prisoners. During my grandpa's 90th birthday party he took the time to tell us about the conditions. I never saw this man cry, but he was balling by the time he got through a 3rd of it. Obviously, we were all balling with him . It's some serious ****ed up ****. He never could talk about the Japanese camp he was in. He was hell bent with taking that to the grave.
    Last edited by dbroncsinmo; 11-12-2017 at 02:54 AM.

I know I did recently, but thanks again for your service lol and all others. Politics stops at our borders and I'm grateful for all those who are willing to serve in our military.

I know quite a few vets from all branches, but on Veterans Day I mostly think of my grand parents who met in the service during WWII. My grandfather drove convoy, supply and other trucks over in Europe. My grandmother worked communications switchboards and other electrical work for the Air Force in France and I think a few other countries during the war. Where else can a Kentucky baptist meet and fall in love with a Brooklyn Jews lol. Miss them both dearly and grateful for their generation who were willing to risk their lives for a great global cause.

Thank you for your grandparents. True Americans.

My Dad was a Marine and served in Korea. My brother was Army. Happy Veterans Day to everyone. Thank you to all posters that served

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Honor the soldiers; Scorn the Chickenhawks

I'd classify it as interpretation before I'd classify it as differences. But thank you. My Grandpa was among the last of the truly real good men. And I mean that whole heatedly.

It came close to saddening me that you made it a point to bring up political differences in this thread. But hell, it is what it is.
    No doubt. I can safely same the same about my grandpa. He was definitely one of the good ones. I owe him so much.

I wish I didn't have to do so but you can see (what should be just above me but if someone else posts sorry) why it needs to be said. Sadly some people can't leave that **** outside.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Thank you to all who have served or are serving. Thanks for sharing your family stories in here, it was a nice read this morning at breakfast haha.

My grandfather on my mom's side served in WWII. My grandfather on my dad's side served in WWII and the Korean war. I had several of my older uncles serve in Vietnam (my mother was the 2nd youngest of 11 chdren so quite the age disparity).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We owe a debt to our armed forces that we can never repay, only acknowledge and respect. We are here doing what we do because of their service to country.

My Pops was regular army in Korea, my grandfather was army in WW2, injured in an attack on an ammo dump they were protecting. Came home not speaking or able to care for himself, I guess it would be classified as PTSD today. A ton of work on my grandmothers part to get him functioning again. As a young lad the only side effect that I noticed in him was a very open hatred towards the Japanese.

Here's to thinking of them today...
    "..When you have great coaches, then after you have great coaches you get great players, you have a great organization, and you tell them one thing-

Just win baby"

~ Al Davis ~

Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    We owe a debt to our armed forces that we can never repay, only acknowledge and respect. We are here doing what we do because of their service to country.

My Pops was regular army in Korea, my grandfather was army in WW2, injured in an attack on an ammo dump they were protecting. Came home not speaking or able to care for himself, I guess it would be classified as PTSD today. A ton of work on my grandmothers part to get him functioning again. As a young lad the only side effect that I noticed in him was a very open hatred towards the Japanese.

Here's to thinking of them today...
    Very touching story, thanks for sharing.

Defending world champions. Dynasty in full swing. Keep it down haters. Keep it down.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Golovkin/Ward/Kovalev/Fury/Lomachenko/Rigondeaux/Gonzalez/Bradley/Rungvisai

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

I'd classify it as interpretation before I'd classify it as differences. But thank you. My Grandpa was among the last of the truly real good men. And I mean that whole heatedly.

It came close to saddening me that you made it a point to bring up political differences in this thread. But hell, it is what it is.
    Amazing background of your family in here, thanks for sharing.

i definitely know what you mean about the last great men, and I agree with that sentiment. We don't produce the kind of men we used to anymore in this society, sadly. Men of courage, conviction, compassion, and selflessness.

Very touching, thanks for sharing. True Americans, and true love.

Defending world champions. Dynasty in full swing. Keep it down haters. Keep it down.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Golovkin/Ward/Kovalev/Fury/Lomachenko/Rigondeaux/Gonzalez/Bradley/Rungvisai

Both my grandfathers served in WWII. One drove supply trucks (RIP) and the other in the 446 Bomb Group (still with us) - here's a pic: http://www.ocregister.com/wp-content...rt.1.jpg?w=620

I took him to his favorite old person style cafeteria restaurant last night, which he enjoyed. He told me his old war stories again of his time in Europe. Battle of the Bulge, Market Garden, escaping his plane after they got hit.

The shame is something I noticed a few months ago when I was helping him write his will. He has 7 children and 20 grandchildren and has very little left (in terms of things to leave his family). It essentially broke down to the little cash he has left and his things from the war. He likely won't have any money left at the time he passes, but he wants all of his things from the war to exclusively go to me. I asked him why, and he said that I was the only one that ever cared to ask him about his time in combat, the only one that ever appreciated what he did, and I would be the only one it would mean anything to. I found that incredibly sad. The war, in relative terms, was not that long ago and people don't always seem to have an appreciation for what these people did. This man, who was terrified of heights and was a stereotypical Italian mamma's boy, left his entire life behind at 18 years of age for a greater cause (and joined the bomber division nevertheless). He has his fault's, as anyone does, but that has always been incredibly impressive to me.
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Less war and better care for our troops are two things I constantly hope for on these holidays. I too have a family with a long history of service, and couldn't be prouder of them. Luckily, my grandparents, uncles, and cousins, etc. all survived their deployments and went on to live great lives (or continue to do so). For an interventionist country, doing everything you can to try to insure that your veterans can do just that should be as big of a priority as anything else. Support the troops. Like actually support them...which means things a lot more tangible than half bit signs of nationalism.
    this my sig

Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    Both my grandfathers served in WWII. One drove supply trucks (RIP) and the other in the 446 Bomb Group (still with us) - here's a pic: http://www.ocregister.com/wp-content...rt.1.jpg?w=620

I took him to his favorite old person style cafeteria restaurant last night, which he enjoyed. He told me his old war stories again of his time in Europe. Battle of the Bulge, Market Garden, escaping his plane after they got hit.

The shame is something I noticed a few months ago when I was helping him write his will. He has 7 children and 20 grandchildren and has very little left (in terms of things to leave his family). It essentially broke down to the little cash he has left and his things from the war. He likely won't have any money left at the time he passes, but he wants all of his things from the war to exclusively go to me. I asked him why, and he said that I was the only one that ever cared to ask him about his time in combat, the only one that ever appreciated what he did, and I would be the only one it would mean anything to. I found that incredibly sad. The war, in relative terms, was not that long ago and people don't always seem to have an appreciation for what these people did. This man, who was terrified of heights and was a stereotypical Italian mamma's boy, left his entire life behind at 18 years of age for a greater cause (and joined the bomber division nevertheless). He has his fault's, as anyone does, but that has always been incredibly impressive to me.
    Well said. Great post. Your a great person from what I gather here, better than I. Have children some day. Do the world that favor.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post

The money will get spent but the war treasures will bring a lifetime of remembrance. You get the most valuable gift he had to give. There's a reason they have the moniker of the greatest generation...
    "..When you have great coaches, then after you have great coaches you get great players, you have a great organization, and you tell them one thing-

Just win baby"

~ Al Davis ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast