Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    40,797

    Senate's Military Spending Increase is Enough to Make Public College Free

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the idea of a free public college system is something desired by both Trumpers and Berniecrats, which makes it more of a social class battle (lower/middle v. establishment war hawk politicians).....or am I off on that?

    Either way, this nonsensical bull **** passed 89-8, so to anyone who likes the idea of a public college system it's worth noting the 8 senators (of both parties and no party) who had the presence of mind to vote against it.


    THE SENATE’S MILITARY SPENDING INCREASE ALONE IS ENOUGH TO MAKE PUBLIC COLLEGE FREE


    Alex Emmons
    September 18 2017, 8:13 p.m.

    ONE OF THE most controversial proposals put forward by Sen. Bernie Sanders during the 2016 presidential campaign was a pledge to make tuition free at public colleges and universities. Critics from both parties howled that the pie-in-the-sky idea would bankrupt the country. Where, after all, would the money come from?

    Those concerns were brushed aside Monday night, as the Senate overwhelmingly approved an $80 billion annual increase in military spending, enough to have fully satisfied Sanders’s campaign promise. Instead, the Senate handed President Donald Trump far more than the $54 billion he asked for. The lavish spending package gives Trump a major legislative victory, allowing him to boast about fulfilling his promise of a “great rebuilding of the armed services.”

    The bill would set the U.S.’s annual military budget at around $700 billion, putting it within range of matching the spending level at the height of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

    To put that in further perspective: If the package becomes law, U.S. military spending would exceed the total spending of its next 10 rivals put together, going off of 2016 military spending estimates from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.

    Put another way, with a $700 billion military budget, the U.S. would be spending more than three times as much as China on its military, and 10 times as much as Russia. According to SIPRI, the U.S. already accounts for more than a third of all military spending.



    Or with $80 billion a year, you could make public colleges and universities in the U.S. tuition-free. In fact, Sanders’s proposal was only estimated to cost the federal government $47 billion per year.

    If the additional military spending over the next 10 years instead went to pay off student debt, it could come close to wiping it out entirely.

    But proposals like that are written off as nonstarters, even by Democrats. In her new book, Hillary Clinton compares Sanders’s idea to him nonsensically saying “America should get a pony.” And while concerns about the cost of ponies abound, few Democrats are raising similar concerns about military spending, even when it is meant for a commander-in-chief they consider reckless and unstable.

    The Senate voted 89-8, with three senators not voting, to approve the military money. Spendthrift Sanders joined only four other Democratic senators to vote against the bill: Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Patrick Leahy of Vermont, and Jeff Merkley and Ron Wyden from Oregon. Republicans Bob Corker of Tennessee, Rand Paul of Kentucky, and Mike Lee of Utah also voted against it.

    When Trump submitted a budget proposal in March, which cut social spending dramatically to fund a $54 billion increase in defense spending, Democrats criticized it as a nonstarter. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said he “emphatically opposed” the blueprint, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said the budget “throws billions of dollars at defense while ransacking” health and education funding.

    Before the bill becomes law, it is has to be reconciled with the version the House already passed, which contains a similar $77 billion spending increase. It is likely to become law by the end of the year.


    https://theintercept.com/2017/09/18/...-college-free/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsbruh
    Posts
    68,935
    BuT hOw WoUlD wE eVeR pAy FoR aNy Of BeRnIe'S (vErY gOoD) pIe In ThE sKy PrOmIsEs
    this my sig

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    16,130
    Military spending lines pockets.
    Anthony Mantha Breakout 16-17



    Larkin is back


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    77,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Military spending lines pockets.
    So does non-free public college. Look at how Betsy DeVos is doing for herself.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,574
    Research from the Watson Institute of International and Public Affairs at Brown University found that as of late September, the US wars combined with “additional spending on Homeland Security and the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs” had totaled more than $4.3 trillion since the 9/11 attacks in 2001. That number surged to $5.6 trillion once likely costs were added for fiscal year 2018, along with estimated future spending on veterans.

    Pentagon report titled ‘Estimated Cost to Each Taxpayer for the Wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria.’ claims the wars would have cost US tax payers $1.52 trillion between fiscal years 2001 and 2018.

    “By 2056, a conservative estimate is that interest costs will be about $8 trillion unless the US changes the way that it pays for the wars. Although it is unlikely, Congress could decide to increase taxes or sell large numbers of war bonds rather than continue to pay for the wars through borrowing,” the study states.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 11-09-2017 at 09:39 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5,325
    I thought it would cost far more the 47 billion a year to pay for everyones college. Is it healthcare that I'm thinking of that would be so expensive?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7,521
    This is why the democratic party is so ****ed, because they are just as bad as the republicans when it comes to running our government. We live in the richest society in the history of the world, yet the top 1% own almost 40% of the wealth and the government spends a huge chunk of it's resources on government contracts and unneeded military equipment.

    Democrats act like they are the better party, yet our last nominee just wrote a book where she said wanting to have things like tuition-free college at public university and universal healthcare was like America wanting a pony. Scoffing at the idea that either of those could ever get passed. According to her, only a more moderate approach will suffice, when the other side has been pushing our politics to the right for generations.

    We need a leftward shift of our politics, and our ideologies. We need terms like "climate change", "gun control", and "democratic socialist" to stop being seen as dirty words. We need to break away from this two-party system that goes back and forth and gets nothing done. We need, for lack of a better term, a political revolution.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hell on Earth- Missouri
    Posts
    9,235
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the idea of a free public college system is something desired by both Trumpers and Berniecrats, which makes it more of a social class battle (lower/middle v. establishment war hawk politicians).....or am I off on that?

    Either way, this nonsensical bull **** passed 89-8, so to anyone who likes the idea of a public college system it's worth noting the 8 senators (of both parties and no party) who had the presence of mind to vote against it.




    https://theintercept.com/2017/09/18/...-college-free/
    **** that.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    77,322
    I think the real question is why are we spending $700B on the military? Immediately get out of Afghanistan and save between $30-50B (link). Immediately get out of Iraq and save another $30B (link).

    Hell just don't spend that money and you immediately put a sizable chunk of money down on the deficit and don't grow the debt nearly as much. Then you take into account the future spending on the VA and other associated programs by not having that military presence. You would really be doing a whole lot of good. And quite honestly, if Iraq and Afghanistan are still ****holes after all this time, that's what they will remain probably for centuries. They are beyond redemption.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I think the real question is why are we spending $700B on the military? Immediately get out of Afghanistan and save between $30-50B (link). Immediately get out of Iraq and save another $30B (link).

    Hell just don't spend that money and you immediately put a sizable chunk of money down on the deficit and don't grow the debt nearly as much. Then you take into account the future spending on the VA and other associated programs by not having that military presence. You would really be doing a whole lot of good. And quite honestly, if Iraq and Afghanistan are still ****holes after all this time, that's what they will remain probably for centuries. They are beyond redemption.
    Getting out of those countries would do a lot of harm and give back all the gains we made

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    542
    Also free college is a joke

    What would be the point of going to a 4 year school anymore since degrees would be practically worthless.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Also free college is a joke

    What would be the point of going to a 4 year school anymore since degrees would be practically worthless.
    What are you talking about? They are just about a necessity nowadays (most corporations list it as a requirement for any decent job), which makes it almost tantamount to indentured servitude when you straddle young kids with so much debt just so they can find a decent job.

    Why in the world does our public schooling end at K-12? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    Yankees Farm System

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    77,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Getting out of those countries would do a lot of harm and give back all the gains we made
    I don't give a **** about the gains.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    What are you talking about? They are just about a necessity nowadays (most corporations list it as a requirement for any decent job), which makes it almost tantamount to indentured servitude when you straddle young kids with so much debt just so they can find a decent job.

    Why in the world does our public schooling end at K-12? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    You can find a **** ton of good paying jobs without having to go to a 4 year school or 2 year school

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    You can find a **** ton of good paying jobs without having to go to a 4 year school or 2 year school
    Even if that is true (doubtful that it is aside from the exception here and there), there's no way that you could scale that up before that market would become completely saturated.
    Yankees Farm System

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •