Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 131
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,971
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    WRONG!!! It's on hold because Cashman is attending the GM's meeting and is not conducting interviews during that time. However, feel free to make up more nonsense as you see fit.
    Hey Homer, can you tell me that when the Yanks fired Girardi, that they knew what their next step was????? Obviously not because they wouldn't be having open try-outs for the most prestigious coaching job in sports. Stop kissing Yankee mgt ***** and call it like it is.


    Estrada 2nd base
    Torres SS
    Judge RF
    Sanchez C
    Bird 1st base
    Frazier LF
    Andujar 3rd base
    Fowler CF

    Bench: Wade and Austin

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    Hey Homer, can you tell me that when the Yanks fired Girardi, that they knew what their next step was????? Obviously not because they wouldn't be having open try-outs for the most prestigious coaching job in sports. Stop kissing Yankee mgt ***** and call it like it is.
    Apparently they didn't have a plan. Unusual. One would have thought they had a successor in mind BEFORE they let Joe go. They (Cash)_may live to regret this move.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,061
    The Yankees Managerial opening is the only one in all of baseball. They have the luxury of being able to take their time and get it done.

    Girardi's contract was up at the end of October and they weren't planning on renewing it, so it can be thought to be a firing without a plan in place, but it is really a non-rehiring and it is somewhat different. In a firing, someone is under contract and is costing the company money. in a non-rehiring, there is a parting of ways with no economic cost.

    As for the search, the Yankees waited until all the staff's contracts were up, all at October 31st. Then Rob Thompson was the first one interviewed. It seems to me that they like Rob, but didn't just want to hand him the job, so they interviewed him and will use him as the benchmark to compare against other candidates. If for whatever reason, they do not see any fresh approach to the job, they will probably give it to Rob.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    10,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees 1903 View Post
    No one said that the Yankees are looking for a robot to manage the team. Actually it seems the rift between Girardi and Cashman was his connection to the clubhouse and concern about leading a young team forward. Seems to me Cashman is pretty big on the human element.

    I'm sure he wants someone who can understand and utilize the data properly. The data is going to be right more often than the eye test or going with your gut. So while the gut feelings and eye test moves will be right some of the time, the data will be proven to be right more often. Baseball will always have a human element to it and managers will always have some say over how they use the data given to them.

    Seems to me Cashman is looking for the right balance of analytical manager who has a solid understanding and connection to the players on his team. Not all or nothing.
    1903 said it perfectly!

    I don't know how many people on here were around watching the Yankees from 1976-1988 when Billy was in the dugout 5 times......

    I wonder how he would do with all of the numbers being thrown at him?

    He'd probably have Art Fowler reading the data to him daily....

    Old School Billy would toss the binder in the East River!
    Nick

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    10,946
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I said very similar a while back. They may live to regret the decision.
    Regret what?

    Aaron Boone is getting the job according to multiple speculations from a wide variety of resources.
    Nick

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    22,784
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Regret what?

    Aaron Boone is getting the job according to multiple speculations from a wide variety of resources.
    Multiple speculations
    Wide variety of resources
    ...





    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    22,784
    I think Beltran or Giambi would be fantastic.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    10,946
    Quote Originally Posted by IceHawk-181 View Post
    Whoever the next Yankees manager is, he better be willing to look at the numbers.

    Statistical analysis lead to Darvish's change after hitting the Dodgers and his dominance there down the stretch; statistical analysis helped the Astros blunt the Yankees offense and keep the ball inside Minute Maid, and it is what will help keep the team on the edge.

    Feel like Robbie is likely the inside candidate, although I feel like Pedrique might have a solid shot as well, especially given who the team is being built around.
    I disagree a little.....The Yankees offense was 10 times better at home in that series and they still faced the Astros and all of the analytics being thrown at them..
    Nick

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,644
    Ask yourself: Who (and why) fires (doesn't resign) a manager that brought a young team, a team no-one on earth expected to finish anywhere near top of division, to within one game of the WS?

    Is it just me or does this seem rather unusual based on more traditional BB standard practices. To complicate and confound further, you think such a move may have been predicated on an already hand picked successor selected to take over the reins? Nope.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    22,784
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Ask yourself: Who (and why) fires (doesn't resign) a manager that brought a young team, a team no-one on earth expected to finish anywhere near top of division, to within one game of the WS?

    Is it just me or does this seem rather unusual based on more traditional BB standard practices. To complicate and confound further, you think such a move may have been predicated on an already hand picked successor selected to take over the reins? Nope.
    I think that firing him was foolish. I think that doing so without a top candidate and successor ready, is idiotic and shows a lack of vision.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I think that firing him was foolish. I think that doing so without a top candidate and successor ready, is idiotic and shows a lack of vision.
    Great minds......
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    10,946
    Dr, it is pretty obvious that Girardi and Co were not going to renew his contract...This was probably decided before the playoffs began...I think getting to the World Series would have saved his job as it would have looked real bad to not offer a new contract. Did they fire him? No, they didn't offer a new contract, both partied fulfilled their obligations so we need to quit trying to make the Yankees look bad by not renewing his contract. They paid every penny to Joe and he worked 10 years as manager. It was in their best interest to go in a new direction and with the way managers are NOW being selected it is no big deal that the Yankees are waiting..Regret for what? Losing out on has-been managers like Eric Wedge?????

    The next manager will be a puppet....No need to rush.....
    Nick

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,644
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Dr, it is pretty obvious that Girardi and Co were not going to renew his contract...This was probably decided before the playoffs began...I think getting to the World Series would have saved his job as it would have looked real bad to not offer a new contract. Did they fire him? No, they didn't offer a new contract, both partied fulfilled their obligations so we need to quit trying to make the Yankees look bad by not renewing his contract. They paid every penny to Joe and he worked 10 years as manager. It was in their best interest to go in a new direction and with the way managers are NOW being selected it is no big deal that the Yankees are waiting..Regret for what? Losing out on has-been managers like Eric Wedge?????

    The next manager will be a puppet....No need to rush.....
    My point in some ways.

    They may have decided to go separate ways, then again someone forgot to tell Joe! Clearly he was blindsided by the move. "Joe Girardi was ready to return to The Bronx in 2018 and admitted he was “surprised” when he was told last week he wouldn’t be."

    “With the year that we had and the progress the team had made, I thought I would be back,” Girardi said in an interview with The Athletic. “Obviously, there is a ton of talent there, a ton of great young talent. I was excited about that. I thought I’d be back.’’

    “For me, there was disappointment because I kind of wanted to finish what we had started this year,’’ Girardi said.

    Sound like a guy with a mutual agreement?


    http://nypost.com/2017/10/31/disappo...ankees-firing/
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  14. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    22,784
    How is Aaron Boone a candidate? He's such a weaness. It would be like Beaver Cleaver managing. I don't know why anyone would have any respect for him.
    As far as other recent players
    Arod? Yes
    Giambi? Yes
    Beltran? Yes

    I really hope Cashman doesn't hire dead fish of a guy like Boone.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,061
    Face it guys. Had the Yankees brought Girardi back, they would have had to offered him a raise on his previous salary or the press would have spun a Joe Torre like story, where Girardi was insulted by the offer.

    I believe that Girardi's current salary was $4 million per year for 4 years or a $16 million contract. Girardi probably has an agent to negotiate for him. Perhaps the YAnkees felt that it would cost them $6 million per year to retain Girardi and they wanted to get younger going forward. Why tie up $24 million to $30 million on a manager who doesn't even know whether it would be OK with his family if he manages the team when you can bring aboard another manager for significantly less cost. Someone like Al Pedrique can get 2-3 years at a half million each or an experienced manager could get #2 million per year for 3 years.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •