Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lol what a joke

Martellus Bennett reportedly has been cut

What a loser him and his brother are. It’s a shame, because they’re both so god damn talented, they just have zero integrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny to see all the packers players defending dr McKenzie. If you're going to bash someone on your way out, don't make it the guy who's widely considered as one of the most player friendly team doctors in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Funny to see all the packers players defending dr McKenzie. If you're going to bash someone on your way out, don't make it the guy who's widely considered as one of the most player friendly team doctors in the league.
    Yeah they didn't work at all lol

After being waived by the Packers last week, tight end Martellus Bennett told his agent to inform teams not to claim him due to his injured shoulder, according to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald.Martellus Bennett (vertical)

“It’s not about, ‘Could you play?’ It’s, ‘Should you play?’ It was one of those things,” Bennett said. “Right now, I’m just like, (expletive) it. At first, I told my agent to tell no teams to claim me because I was still trying to get the surgery. So when Bill (Belichick) called and said they claimed me, I was like, ‘No (expletive) way.’ ”

Bennett, who was apparently considering taking a desk job with Netflix for the rest of the season, will attempt to play through his injury as he closes the campaign with New England. Bennett disparaged Green Bay’s medical staff on his way out of town, but current and former Packers have since come to the unit’s defense. The Packers, meanwhile, may attempt to recoup a portion of Bennett’s signing bonus, and they could do so even if Bennett plays the rest of the year, per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.

Bennett’s case is interesting on a number of levels, but its ramifications on the NFL’s compensatory pick system are unclear at the moment. At a base level, Belichick’s claim of Bennett seems designed to test the comp pick formula, as Nick Korte of Over the Cap notes (Twitter links). Players who are cut before Week 10 typically don’t count towards the compensatory process, but Bennett’s situation is unique given that he was claimed off waivers. However, Korte ultimately projects Bennett will not factor into the comp pick formula.

Claiming Bennett was essentially a no-risk move for the Patriots — Bennett is due a $2MM roster bonus on the third day of the 2018 league year, reports Ben Volin of the Boston Globe, and if New England declines it, the club will have no further financial investment in the veteran tight end. The Patriots could also come away with even more windfall if the Packers file a grievance against Bennett. If Green Bay wins such a grievance, the Patriots would be entitled to a $13MM (Bennett’s salaries in 2018-19) credit on their cap next season, per salary cap guru Troy Chapman
    more on the drama.

the bolded part, this is one of the few times I think the league should look into collusion. not necessarily on the Patriots part but, on Bennett and his agents part. He flat out admitted that he told his agent to tell teams to not claim him because he was going to have surgery and then retire but, once the patriots called he was all set to play.

RIP Gene Wilder

Yeah that's kinda shady yeah? I'm not dying to have him punished but still... The Patriot Way!!
    Always with some shady crap.

It would be awesome to have the commish come in and suspend him for lying about an injury.

I mean, he probably actually is injured. There's nothing in an NFL contract that says you have to play through an injury. If just comes down to whether or not you care about your teammates and what everyone else thinks of you. If you have an injury, you can sit out or get surgery. I'm sure it hurts your chances of getting a new contract and signing with other teams, but apparently he doesn't care.

He clearly just wants to play for a contender. It was a snake move on his part, but I don't think there's anything the league can do, besides the packers arguing the undisclosed injury.

I mean, he probably actually is injured. There's nothing in an NFL contract that says you have to play through an injury. If just comes down to whether or not you care about your teammates and what everyone else thinks of you. If you have an injury, you can sit out or get surgery. I'm sure it hurts your chances of getting a new contract and signing with other teams, but apparently he doesn't care.

He clearly just wants to play for a contender. It was a snake move on his part, but I don't think there's anything the league can do, besides the packers arguing the undisclosed injury.
    I understand that but, I am talking the part where he said he was telling his agent to tell teams not to claim him off waivers because he was getting surgery and retiring at the end of the season but, when he went through the waiver wire list and the patriots came calling he said ok and was all set to play.

that to me is collusion, he wanted to make sure he was picked up by the patriots. Again I don't think anything should happen to the Patriots cause they went through the normal procedures but, they should come down on Bennett and his Agent for saying one thing and then doing another to cherry pick his team

RIP Gene Wilder

Nothing wrong with that either. It's his choice to get surgery or not. Nothing wrong with him saying he doesn't want to play anywhere else. Its a crappy thing to do and will ruin his reputation around the league, but if he is retiring or will only play for New England, then I guess that's his choice.

Don't get me wrong. He's acting like a piece of trash. Throwing guys under the bus just because he quit on his team. But I don't think anything he did was illegal or collusion. He probably ruined his reputation around the league and if he decides to keep playing beyond this year, he may struggle to find a team willing to take a chance on him. But he didn't do anything illegal in my mind. I think the only potential punishment is if he truly did hide an injury when he signed his packer contract.

Nothing wrong with that either. It's his choice to get surgery or not. Nothing wrong with him saying he doesn't want to play anywhere else. Its a crappy thing to do and will ruin his reputation around the league, but if he is retiring or will only play for New England, then I guess that's his choice.
    His agent can't tell every team but NE not to claim him because he's having surgery.

The waiver wire system is a thing for a reason.

It's his choice to have surgery though. I don't see why we can't do that. The reason no one else would want to do that is because it burns bridges. But it doesn't matter if he doesn't care about that.

It's his choice to have surgery though. I don't see why we can't do that. The reason no one else would want to do that is because it burns bridges. But it doesn't matter if he doesn't care about that.
    not arguing that he can't have surgery. what I am saying is he can't sit there and tell his agent to tell other teams that he is going to go ahead and have the surgery cause he doesn't want to play through it but, change his mind when the Patriots claim him and say ok nevermind about the surgery. That is trying to cheat the system and trying to cherry pick his team

RIP Gene Wilder

Your statement is completely contradictory. You say you're not arguing that the surgery is his choice. So it's not like he has to make his mind up on surgery and make that choice with whoever he plays for. It's not like another team couldn't claim him and try to wait out his recovery.

It's really not a whole lot different than Rodgers returning from injury if you take the bennetts crappy, snake like shadiness out of it. If we don't win another game and are basically eliminated from the playoffs before Rodgers can return, he's not coming back this year.

It's ultimately up to the player to decide if playing through an injury is worth the risk. To Bennett, it wasn't worth the risk unless he was playing in New England. It's a crappy thing to do, but it's still his choice.

What he did probably pissed off a lot of teams. Between quitting on the packers and essentially refusing to play for anyone but New England, it's going to be tough for him to find a decent contract with other teams in the future. I'm sure there's plenty of teams who wouldn't pick up the phone if he was a free agent. But if he doesn't care about that, then there's nothing the waiver system can do about what he did.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123