Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    Does this affect our comp picks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    No.
    Actually I think it does slightly. The deadline for free agents to remain on the team is through week 10. We cut him prior to week 10, likely for that reason.

I suck at posting links, but according to the over the cap comp pick projections, we are projected to receive a 3rd for Lang. We were projected to receive 5th rounders for Hyde, tretter and cook (in that order), a 6th for lacy and a 7th for peppers. But our signings were Bennett and Evans, who were 4th and 7ths for their teams. So Bennett offset the Hyde 5th rounder and Evans offset peppers (which we wouldn't have gotten anyways.

So long story short, with Bennett, we were projected to receive a 3rd, 2 5ths and a 6th for Lang, tretter, cook and lacy. Now, without Bennett, the Hyde pick should come back, and the lacy pick drops off since the max is 4 picks per team. Basically, we should end up getting an earlier 5th instead of a 6th now.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    Cherry picking stats again Crew. You’re really good at that. You should write arguments for banning guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't get how that's cherry picking stats. One of your gripes was we didn't use him well enough in he red zone. We are the best TD team in the red zone. So why run a fade, which is actually a low success rate play, when we score pretty often with our normal plays.

You can have complaints about our coaching staff, but how you're turning the Bennett experiment as a coaching failure is beyond me. He stunk in the passing game for reasons beyond coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    True. He also looked pretty slow last year but was used properly on 3rd downs and in the red zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He looked clearly slower to me this year. Even from PS To regular seemed different

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Actually I think it does slightly. The deadline for free agents to remain on the team is through week 10. We cut him prior to week 10, likely for that reason.

I suck at posting links, but according to the over the cap comp pick projections, we are projected to receive a 3rd for Lang. We were projected to receive 5th rounders for Hyde, tretter and cook (in that order), a 6th for lacy and a 7th for peppers. But our signings were Bennett and Evans, who were 4th and 7ths for their teams. So Bennett offset the Hyde 5th rounder and Evans offset peppers (which we wouldn't have gotten anyways.

So long story short, with Bennett, we were projected to receive a 3rd, 2 5ths and a 6th for Lang, tretter, cook and lacy. Now, without Bennett, the Hyde pick should come back, and the lacy pick drops off since the max is 4 picks per team. Basically, we should end up getting an earlier 5th instead of a 6th now.

I don't get how that's cherry picking stats. One of your gripes was we didn't use him well enough in he red zone. We are the best TD team in the red zone. So why run a fade, which is actually a low success rate play, when we score pretty often with our normal plays.

You can have complaints about our coaching staff, but how you're turning the Bennett experiment as a coaching failure is beyond me. He stunk in the passing game for reasons beyond coaching.
    Thanks. I wasn't aware of that

Seems Bennett was injured prior to Green Bay signing him and he hid it. Maybe we need better doctors to conduct physicals. We seem to get the injured players. Remember Joe Johnson?

What did the Patriots know about his condition? They had an interest in Bennett getting signed by another team.

The Patriots picked up Bennett. Wow lol

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that
    Looks like
    TJ Lang 3rd rd 38th pick
    Micah Hyde 5th rd 34th pick
    JC Tretter 5th rd 36th pick
    Jared Cook 5th rd 38th pick

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post

Agreed. Bennett seemed slow/out of shape/injured. That isn't on the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Seems Bennett was injured prior to Green Bay signing him and he hid it. Maybe we need better doctors to conduct physicals. We seem to get the injured players. Remember Joe Johnson?

What did the Patriots know about his condition? They had an interest in Bennett getting signed by another team.
    Joe Johnson from the early 2000's? That seems pretty irrelevant to me.

I know I'm pretty late in this discussion, but Marty B was a giant disappointment. This was the best option for this team, not to mention he was eyeing retirement at the end of the season. Assuming they prove everything they likely owe him nothing and may get that money back. Kendricks has been a far greater acquisition, and I wish this team would stop taking a dump on Richard Rodgers. Rodgers may not be able to stretch the field, but his hands are phenomenal. It also sounds like once A-Rod went down so did Marty B's motivation to be a part of this team. I think there's more to this story that is yet to come out.

some more articles on the Bennett saga

Did Martellus Bennett quit on the Packers after Aaron Rodgers suffered a broken collarbone? That was the feeling in Green Bay, according to one source who spoke with Ryan Wood of USA Today. Wood also indicates that the Packers took Bennett’s decision to retire after the season as a sign that he was already checked out and that may have led the team to release him here in November.
    The Patriots have claimed former Packers tight end Martellus Bennett, as Ian Rapoport of NFL.com tweets. The deal brings Bennett back to the team where he thrived in 2016 and won a Super Bowl ring. To make room, defensive end Geneo Grissom has been cut."<strong

Bennett was stellar with the Patriots in 2016, hauling in 55 receptions for 701 yards and seven touchdowns. However, he was a total dud after signing a lucrative free agent deal with the Packers. In seven games, he had just 24 receptions, 233 yards, and zero touchdowns in seven games. Some in Green Bay believe that Bennett starting phoning it in after Aaron Rodgers went down with a broken collarbone.

By claiming Bennett, the Patriots assume the remainder of the veteran’s three-year, $21MM deal. However, much of his Year 1 salary was already paid out to him via signing bonus. Bennett is due just $423K for the rest of the season.

Initially, it was believed that Bennett would likely pass through waivers unclaimed. While he may have been checked out with the Packers, the Patriots are apparently confident that he will pick up right where he left off.

Last month, Bennett announced that he is considering retirement after the 2017 season. It remains to be seen whether his relocation to New England will change his mind about hanging up the cleats. If he can be productive once again, this could prove to be one of the greatest “rentals” in league history.

Bennett will now join a TE group headlined by Rob Gronkowski and Dwayne Allen. After Grissom was cut, it appears that Jacob Hollister will remain on the 53-man roster for now as the fourth TE.
    The Packers waived tight end Martellus Bennett because he had a torn rotator cuff, sources tell Ian Rapoport of NFL.com (Twitter link). He may or may not try to play through the injury. If he can’t, the Patriots could simply place him on injured reserve. Martellus Bennett (vertical)

[RELATED: Patriots Claim TE Martellus Bennett]

There are varying degrees to rotator cuff tears and, presumably, Bennett is not dealing with a complete tear. A partial tear could help to explain his mediocre production in 2017. In seven games for the Packers, Bennett had just 24 grabs for 233 yards and zero touchdowns.

Bennett has indicated that he will retire after the 2017 season, so he might be willing to play through the pain without fear of the additional damage he might do to his shoulder. If he can gut it out, he might just have a chance at winning a second consecutive Super Bowl ring with the Patriots. This time around, he won’t have to be on the field as much thanks to Rob Gronkowski being healthy and the presence of Dwayne Allen.
    Martellus Bennett did not practice in the final days of his Packers tenure and did not play against the Lions on Monday night. The Packers cut him, only for the talented tight end to return to the Patriots via waiver claim.

Bennett appeared at Patriots practice Friday, indicating he passed a physical despite reportedly having a torn rotator cuff. The 10th-year veteran addressed his status on Friday afternoon.

The 30-year-old pass-catcher said (on Instagram, via ESPN.com’s Rob Demovsky and NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport) he did, in fact, opt for shoulder surgery earlier this season. Bennett said he asked the Packers to examine his shoulder further after the team’s Week 5 win over the Cowboys, and he added he elected to have surgery. However, Bennett says the Packers persuaded him to play through this injury — one he said was made worse this season.

Three subsequent visits to separate doctors revealed, per Bennett, the damaged shoulder needed to be repaired. And he posts that he decided to do that, only to see the Packers cut him. He alleges the Packers’ reasoning for waiving him (with a Failure to Disclose a Physical Condition designation) was bogus, writing that he circled “shoulder” weekly when he filled out a team-issued body evaluation sheet.

Bennett writes in his post he made this decision for surgery after Week 5. This comes after a report indicated the tight end wanted out of Green Bay after Aaron Rodgers‘ Week 6 injury. Bennett mentions his October declaration to retire after this season as the Packers’ reasoning for this cut. He was due a $2MM roster bonus on Day 1 of the 2018 league year. The $6.3MM guarantee in Bennett’s three-year, $21MM Packers pact was spread through 2019 via signing bonus.

While uncertain to play this week with the Patriots, Bennett is traveling to Denver, Mike Reiss of ESPN.com tweets. He’s listed as questionable to face the Broncos. Bennett now trying to play through pain for a different team, and not getting this surgery that’s been reportedly recommended, strikes the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Tom Silverstein as odd (Twitter link).

Demovsky (Twitter link) said he’s heard consistent praise for the Packers doctor Bennett’s criticized, Dr. Pat McKenzie, including rave reviews from Rodgers. Silverstein adds McKenzie has a conservative reputation when it comes to injuries, and Greg Bedard of the Boston Sports Journal (on Twitter) echoes this sentiment.

So, this might not be the last that’s discussed about Bennett’s unremarkable (but not exactly forgettable) Packers tenure. For now, though, the Packers (via Silverstein, on Twitter) aren’t responding to Bennett’s allegations.

RIP Gene Wilder

I am on the train that I think Bennett just quit and now to save face he is blaming it on the medical staff. Well if it's the medical staffs fault how did he pass the Patriots' physical and was already at practice?

A lot of Packers are coming out in defense of the medical staff, even Jordy took to social media to defend Dr. McKenzie.

for years fans have blasted the Packers medical staff for the over cautious ways, how could we honestly believe the medical staff was pushing Bennett to play?

This is the same group that shut down Nick Collins and Jermichael Finley for their career, the ones that fans blamed for shutting down Rodgers for so long with the concussion he received a few years ago when Matt Flynn started and made his name, or fans blasted cause the staff kept Rodgers back the first time he broke his collar bone.

Once ARod went down Martellus knew the Packers would struggle, that's why he posted his "retirement" news, and then the "injury" all of a sudden came up, he just quit.

I really hope the Packers do come out and nail him for the signing bonus.

RIP Gene Wilder

Lolololol. See Ted was right. Never sign free agents!!!

Lolololol. See Ted was right. Never sign free agents!!!
    That's what a lot of people are talking about is after this bust, TT is gonna use it as an excuse not to dip back into the FA pool

RIP Gene Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    That's what a lot of people are talking about is after this bust, TT is gonna use it as an excuse not to dip back into the FA pool
    Yeah maybe. It goes in the count of "there's no rush just cut em!!" kinda too I guess. We didn't lose much. Then again we could have gotten Cook

Yeah maybe. It goes in the count of "there's no rush just cut em!!" kinda too I guess. We didn't lose much. Then again we could have gotten Cook
    I'm conflicted with the Cook part of it. Wasn't the report that the Packers offered Cook a little more than Bennett and he declined it so they signed Bennett? I could have sworn that was what the beat writers were saying

RIP Gene Wilder

Bennett has 3 catches on 3 targets for 38 yards with a long of 27 as of right now (4:41 left in 4th qtr)

So much for a bum shoulder that he wanted to have surgery on

RIP Gene Wilder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast