Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    It's very possible he was trying a water landing, but I don't think the way he was handling it, from eyewitnesses, was the normal way to land a plane.
    fair enough. i'm not sure how much you can expect eyewitnesses to know about the procedure for landing a plane on water.

the other thing is at first when you hear anecdotally that he had been doing it all week - it sort of reinforces the notion of a thrill seeker. but if you consider the legendary reputation the man had for preparing and perfecting his craft would you expect him to pursue this new skill set in perhaps the same way? just me i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Roy Halladay, 40, dies in a plane crash

It was a sad day in sports rip

Click photo to see what we do best as defending champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    the plane was meant for both air and water. for someone who was so meticulous about practice and preparation would it surprise anyone if he was practicing for a water landing and going through the procedure over and over. man i hate tmz.
    Two sides to every story. I've read that these things are toys, basically Jetskis with wings. I also read that the chief engineer/test pilot and another employee of the company were killed in an early flight of them when their vehicle crashed. In all honesty, I'm really happy that nobody else was hurt. That way if it was him showboating and losing control, we don't have to talk about him being a complete turd.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Two sides to every story. I've read that these things are toys, basically Jetskis with wings. I also read that the chief engineer/test pilot and another employee of the company were killed in an early flight of them when their vehicle crashed. In all honesty, I'm really happy that nobody else was hurt. That way if it was him showboating and losing control, we don't have to talk about him being a complete turd.
    true, but in the absence of anything really compelling either way why can't we just assume the best about a man who is universally revered for his way of going about his business and his life.

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

The fact that anyone would accuse the man of showboating without any real evidence is disgusting to me. It just shows how judgmental society has become.

The man was flying an amphibious plane over water! Up, down, sideways, what ever....its what the plane was designed to do.

Had he purchased a race car and died in a single vehicle crash at Talladega, would that be show boating as well?

Have respect people, even if he made a mistake.
    Last edited by TRIUMPHATOR; 11-11-2017 at 11:44 AM.

The plane was designed for fun not transportation. There’s no point in having a plane like that unless you are going to fly it as it was meant to be flown. If he misjudged distance or made a mistake in timing, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    The fact that anyone would accuse the man of showboating without any real evidence is disgusting to me. It just shows how judgmental society has become.

The man was flying an amphibious plane over water! Up, down, sideways, what ever....its what the plane was designed to do.

Had he purchased a race car and died in a single vehicle crash at Talladega, would that be show boating as well?

Have respect people, even if he made a mistake.
    Pretty sure there were numerous witnesses who said he was showboating prior to the crash. This isn't random people online just making things up.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Pretty sure there were numerous witnesses who said he was showboating prior to the crash. This isn't random people online just making things up.
    as far as i've been able ascertain, nobody has described the alleged "showboating" as anything more than rapid ascent and descent. that's an important detail to me because those could quite conceivably be elements of regular flying activity if one were say, practicing the process of landing the plane and repeating it. if anybody who casually assumed showboating was occurring did so on the basis of anything more than that i have not seen it. so what i have a problem with is how quickly the mainstream public is taking that at face value. it would be like witnessing someone screech to a halt at a red light and assuming they were a crazy wreckless driver as a result. when in fact they may have just noticed the light had gone red at the last moment.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 11-11-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks for proving my point exactly

You guys are sure defensive about the very possibility that he was doing anything other than operating the plane in a super safe manner. It's not like people are claiming he was flying under the influence or something.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Geez enough on this topic of showboating...the plane was designed for fun. It’s very quick and responsive. Rapid ascents and descents are what it is supposed to do. If you want to call Halliday reckless, call him that for buying the plane not flying it. You don’t buy one of these things to fly in a straight line. You buy it to have fun.

Plus we still do not know if there was a mechanical failure. So there's that still.

You guys are sure defensive about the very possibility that he was doing anything other than operating the plane in a super safe manner. It's not like people are claiming he was flying under the influence or something.
    character matters. reputation matters. we are talking about a man of impeccable character who is tragically not in a position to defend himself here. i'm sure you heard felger's rant? disgusting. and others in this thread seem to be influenced by what they assume happened.

i'm not denying the possibility that he was flying in a less than safe fashion. but i think it's awful that people are saying these things about a man who just died based on super flimsy evidence, evidence that could be interpreted in many ways.

why not react based on what we know of the man and if something else comes along later we can make our criticisms then.

Does it really matter if he was showing off or not? It's still a tragedy. He was a great player and from everything I've read and everytime I've listened to him give an interview, an even better person off the field. Way too young to die. RIP Doc.

CLEARWATER, FLA. — The measure of a man and the impact he has on others lies in those who celebrate his life at the moment of his passing. Such was the case for former Blue Jays and Phillies pitcher, and future hall of famer, Roy Halladay as about 1,000 baseball friends, family, fans and admirers gathered at Spectrum Field on Tuesday to pay tribute — along with wife Brandy and sons Braden and Ryan.

The numbers 32 and 34 were painted in the dirt on the front of the mound, with a game ball set between them, representing Halladay’s uniform numbers with the Jays for 12 years and the Phillies for four. Behind the mound, a podium was set up flanked by floral displays of his uniform numbers, plus portraits of Doc as a Phillie and a Blue Jay set up on easels. In front of the mound were 100 white chairs that were eventually filled by ex-teammates, coaches, close friends and family.

Guest speakers — all personally invited by Brandy Halladay — included Phillies owner John Middleton and former manager Charlie Manuel; former Phillies teammates Cole Hamels and Chase Utley; ex-Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi; Jays head trainer George Poulis; former Jays teammate and good friend Chris Carpenter; and Roy’s father, Roy Jr.

Also in the seats to honour their friend were former teammates and men who shared the same clubhouse: Jose Bautista, A.J. Burnett, Cito Gaston, Frank Thomas, Jimmy Rollins, Juan Samuel, Brad Lidge, Shane Victorino, Erik Kratz, Aaron Hill, Orlando Hudson, Scott Downs, John McDonald, Reed Johnson, Dustin McGowan, Ryan Howard, Cliff Lee, Kyle Kendrick and many others.

After all was said and done on this emotional day, there were two main take-aways from this celebration of Halladay’s life.

The first was the passionate speech by Brandy Halladay that wrapped up the proceedings. She was vulnerable. She was unsure of her ability to cope with her new life without her husband. She had a dozen pages written out, but most of it was cast to the wind as she melted down throughout an honest, and ultimately loving, assessment of being the wife of a famous major-leaguer with what seems the sole raison d’être to keep the family running.
    The article includes quotes from Halladay's wife and Chris Carpenter.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluej...d-griffin.html

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456