Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Guys like Carig, Puma, Cerrone, and even Duquette etc are all suggesting that the word around baseball is that the Mets are far from certain to handing the first base job to Smith and could even consider dealing him for a 2B/3B/OF and then signing a first baseman because of how deep the market is.

If true, I like this approach. I would very strongly try to push Smith + Guillorme + Gsellman + Molina/Pederson/Dunn for a package of guys. One idea I thought of is talking to the Pirates about McCutchen, Harrison, and Nova. I'd assume that if we were targeting an outfielder in free agency or trade that Nimmo would therefore become expendable as a trade chip (although I'd still rather trade Lagares for financial flexibility and a strong pen arm or durable starter)

Smith, Nimmo, Gsellman, Guillorme, Dunn, Szapucki, Pederson, Molina, maybe Cechenni, and Nido are I assume - our most marketable and realistic trade chips. I'd consider Smith and the pitchers to all have A potential but Guillorme, Gsellman, and Nimmo to have B potential...correct me if I'm wrong but a combination of any of those guys would certainly be enough to get a guy who has 2+ years on his contract. (I would assume that guys like Kinsler and Dozier won't cost any of those guys considering they only have one year left)

Probably a long shot but I would absolutely call the Mariners and offer whomever for Kyle Seager but that's just me. Lots of options and no idea where to go.

Smith shouldn't be guaranteed the job but I hear reports that Rosario isn't guaranteed SS either and that gotta be a joke

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    Smith shouldn't be guaranteed the job but I hear reports that Rosario isn't guaranteed SS either and that gotta be a joke
    He will be the starting SS on opening day, but I understand that the FO was disappointed that he did not produce as expected compared to other rookies. In don't know if they were thinking of Bellinger thisyear , Seagar from last year or the rookie for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    He will be the starting SS on opening day, but I understand that the FO was disappointed that he did not produce as expected compared to other rookies. In don't know if they were thinking of Bellinger thisyear , Seagar from last year or the rookie for the Reds.
    Rosario produced fine considering he came up when, late August? Hell, as a shortstop, he out produced Smith, a first baseman. Now, if he doesnt improve his OBP numbers in 2018 then we'll talk.

Two talk of these two players as though they're a singular entity is stupid. Rosario should be practically guaranteed the SS job. Smith hasn't shown he's a major leaguer yet. If Rosario were a first baseman or an outfielder, they'd be in the same conversation. But he is by far the best SS in the organization right now.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Rosario produced fine considering he came up when, late August? Hell, as a shortstop, he out produced Smith, a first baseman. Now, if he doesnt improve his OBP numbers in 2018 then we'll talk.

Two talk of these two players as though they're a singular entity is stupid. Rosario should be practically guaranteed the SS job. Smith hasn't shown he's a major leaguer yet. If Rosario were a first baseman or an outfielder, they'd be in the same conversation. But he is by far the best SS in the organization right now.
    What pisses me off about this organization is that you hear these whispers about Smith about not being guaranteed his job in ST but they dont want to spend the money to bring back Jay Bruce. I totally get trying to acquire someone to caddie Smith but who are they bringing in to do that? If they don't have a ton of money to spend in FA, then they should be using most of that money for pitching. Otherwise, we know they aren't doing much this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    What pisses me off about this organization is that you hear these whispers about Smith about not being guaranteed his job in ST but they dont want to spend the money to bring back Jay Bruce. I totally get trying to acquire someone to caddie Smith but who are they bringing in to do that? If they don't have a ton of money to spend in FA, then they should be using most of that money for pitching. Otherwise, we know they aren't doing much this offseason.
    Mark Reynolds, of all the first basemen out there, he would be the cheapest to get or sign a guy like Pedro Alvarez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right.

But here's the thing: You have two very capable bats in Wilmer Flores and TJ Rivera. Both are solid major league hitters and decent gloves at first. Personally, I think both are much better options then Dom Smith. They could even switch off at second or first.

I think you can do a lot worse than Cabrera at third. I think Rosario gives them an upgrade at short.

Health question marks abound with Cespedes and Conforto. Offensive question marks abound with Lagares in center.

And question marks flood practically the entire pitching staff.

You know what?

This entire team is a mess. I can't even....
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Right.

But here's the thing: You have two very capable bats in Wilmer Flores and TJ Rivera. Both are solid major league hitters and decent gloves at first. Personally, I think both are much better options then Dom Smith. They could even switch off at second or first.

I think you can do a lot worse than Cabrera at third. I think Rosario gives them an upgrade at short.

Health question marks abound with Cespedes and Conforto. Offensive question marks abound with Lagares in center.

And question marks flood practically the entire pitching staff.

You know what?

This entire team is a mess. I can't even....
    I'm not even overly concerned about the offense aside from CF and 1st base. If Conforto is healthy, he'll hit, same with Cespedes. My concerns about 1st aren't even with Smith long term. I just dont expect him to be league average or above until 2019. Nimmo is an OBP machine but obviously defense is his problem. You'll still have a productive CF platoon with him and Lagares though.

My issues is with the depth on the bench, the health of the rotation, and the bullpen. If they address the bullpen, I'll have less concern but I also want depth on the bench because we know injuries are going to be of any season, especially with the Mets.

If the Mets had 50 million dollars to spend, I would think this team has as good a chance as any to be a WS contender.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-13-2017 at 01:43 PM.

I'm not even overly concerned about the offense aside from CF and 1st base. If Conforto is healthy, he'll hit, same with Cespedes. My concerns about 1st aren't even with Smith long term. I just dont expect him to be league average or above until 2019. Nimmo is an OBP machine but obviously defense is his problem. You'll still have a productive CF platoon with him and Lagares though.

My issues is with the depth on the bench, the health of the rotation, and the bullpen. If they address the bullpen, I'll have less concern but I also want depth on the bench because we know injuries are going to be of any season, especially with the Mets.

If the Mets had 50 million dollars to spend, I would think this team has as good a chance as any to be a WS contender.
    Yeah, I like Nimmo too. I think he's a star in the making. The answer is to find yourself a CFer, move Conforto to first base, maybe even Cespedes who might enjoy playing a position where he doesnt have to run. And put Nimmo in the other corner. Lagares is fine as a 4th or 5th OFer.

But yeah, it all boils down to pitching. Maybe Callaway can work miracles.

Mets should sign the following and call it a day:

Eduardo Nunez
    Adam Lind
    Bryan Shaw
    Robbie Ross

If possible:
    Francisco Liriano

If all get what experts predict, our salary would stand around 145M with Liriano.

Give or take.

Quote Originally Posted by knicks_champ View Post
    Mets should sign the following and call it a day:

Eduardo Nunez
    Adam Lind
    Bryan Shaw
    Robbie Ross

If possible:
    Francisco Liriano

If all get what experts predict, our salary would stand around 145M with Liriano.

Give or take.
    I don't understand Nunez' popularity. There isn't one position he can play without killing you there. Not one. Good hitter, absolutely. But he'd be a disaster on a regular basis in the field. Besides, we already have two good right handed hitters, Flores and TJ, who have limited defensive skills. Why do we neeed a third?

If Jackie Bradley Jr. is being shopped, I would look at least kick the tires.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

• Addison Reed, reliever: Reportedly, the pitcher turned down an extension overture by the Mets at midseason in 2017, and who could blame him? Reed is the kind of plowhorse, versatile bullpen piece that teams love these days, and he’ll be well-compensated in his next deal. The 28-year-old Reed has appeared in no fewer than 55 games in each of the past six seasons, he holds runners very well, and he was as good against lefties (.662 OPS) as he was against right-handers (.651 OPS).
    ESPN Insider

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    If Jackie Bradley Jr. is being shopped, I would look at least kick the tires.
    Anything is an upgrade over Lagares.

I don't understand Nunez' popularity. There isn't one position he can play without killing you there. Not one. Good hitter, absolutely. But he'd be a disaster on a regular basis in the field. Besides, we already have two good right handed hitters, Flores and TJ, who have limited defensive skills. Why do we neeed a third?
    He was slightly below average defensively at third, I wouldn't mind having him play 2nd most of the year, his arm was often the problem, one that corrects itself on the move from 3rd to 2nd. Nuñez would be a nice complimentary guy but he isn't a substitute for a sorely needed power bat.

Give me Nuñez and Frazier...it adds a hell of a lot of versatility. Nuñez can play OF, 2nd, 3rd, and SS and Frazier can play a little OF, 1st and 3rd. If Smith isn't ready then you have Frazier at first and Cabrera at third, if Cabrera sucks then you ride with Smith and play Frazier at third. If Conforto is still injured on opening day then you can play Nuñez or Frazier in the OF with Nimmo/Lagares in center then Cabrera/Flores man the infield.

Mets need more athletic and versatile guys, anybody who can play an additional position should get priority over a Mike Moustakas or JD Martinez -esque logjam.

Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast