Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Not the point. Someone said the Mets dont care about spending the money to build a contender. If contenders were built with $30m less money, then they do care to spend what a contender can cost. Mets could easily swap older talent for younger talent, reduce payroll to Astros and Indians level, and build a contender.
    No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I talk in straight lines. If you can't follow, then I guess it feels like a circle. I get it.

They could contend in a +/- 2 years if they made the right deals. Rebuilding is not impossible -- as you even pointed out yourself.
    No what you said originally was absolutely talking in circles. What kind of **** is the Mets must care about building a contender if they are spending 30 million dollars more than those contending teams? Compare the Astros and Mets in terms of talent or the Indians and Mets in terms of talent and then explain to me how that is the case. Also explain to me how its even remotely fair to compare markets? If the Mets want to contend, they have to go above and beyond that potential threshold because they don't have the players those teams have.

Rebuilding has no definitive timetable. Sure, you can hit on most moves, get back the right prospects, and be good in 2 years but there is also as a good chance that you don't and it takes significantly longer.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-10-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The FA market is kind of weak for position players this offseason. I understand there is less emphasis on power because of all the home runs hit but I still think Bruce can get a 4 year deal. He's only 30 years old.
    Cue FOC and his mantra.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Two guys to look into would be David Hernandez and Anthony Swarzak. Not sure how much they'd command as relief pitchers.

As this point it stands to reason that we NEED 1-2 relievers, a veteran innings eating starter and a 2B/3B. We could use the luxury of having a center fielder and a first baseman.

We're not going to get Greg Holland or Wade Davis so realistically I expect our bullpen to be built on one solid acquisition and a few veteran reclamation projects like Rosenthal, Street, Romo, etc. The starters would look the same, one established guy like Jason Vargas and a flier on guys like Pineda, Eovaldi, or Ubaldo Jimenez, buy low kind of guys.

The offense will probably have a guy like Nuñez or Frazier playing the infield and everything else remaining the same. Everything I laid out likely amounts to 25MM...with a few extra million dollars, I could see us signing a viable first baseman somewhere down the line. No joke, I would take a flier on Joey Bats if he'd come for 1-2MM as a pinch hitter lol.

Just brainstorming, I think for sure that either Nuñez or Frazier or even unlikely Jay Bruce will be on the Mets, they're the most realistic guys that we'll be targeting for the offense. Pitching we can go lots of places. Woo.

I should note that guys like Howie Kendrick, Chris Carter, and Danny Valencia can all be good buy low additions too. Carter simply for power, Kendrick can play OF and I'm assuming 3B and Valencia would be a good RH bat to platoon at first. --- Just where they would hypothetically fit in.

Mike Minor is a must!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all of these bargain bin names, I foresee a 74 win season from the Mets
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

I should also note that the Mets employing a 8 man bullpen has our team looking something like:

Starters

Thor
    DeGrom
    Harvey
    Matz
    Wheeler/Other

Pen:

Familia
    Ramos
    Blevins
    Montero
    Lugo
    Gsellman
    Sewald
    Callahan/Rhame/Smoker

Positional alignment:

LF- Ces
    CF- Lagares
    RF- Conforto
    3B - Asdrubal
    SS - Rosario
    2B - Flores
    1B- Smith
    C- TDA

Bench:

Plawecki
    Nimmo
    TJ
    Cechenni/Reynolds

Logically speaking, we can expect a replacement for Wheeler or Harvey in the rotation with the weakest link being swapped for one of the guys in the bullpen I.e Lugo or Montero. Then we need an upgrade to replace either the rookies or Sewald with the roles being switched around. As for the offense, a 2nd or 3rd baseman is necessary to either bump Asdrubal to 2nd or Wilmer to a platoon role, thus pushing Cechenni/Reynolds off the team.

This free agency class will just put some nice touches on our team, it's just a matter of how much money the Mets have to spend because we sure as hell don't have the prospects...As usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Cue FOC and his mantra.
    We'll see said the Zen Master?

Signing 30-year-olds to long-term deals is risky?

What?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Joel Sherman opines the Mets might be interested in Jason Kipnis.

I know he had a down year in 2017, but he's a stud. I'd trade for him in a heartbeat. The ability to play 2B/CF and bat high in the order with his OBP would be perfect for this team. It also lets us play Lagares/Flores/Wright/Cabrera in match-ups vs LHP with no logjam issues. I'm fully on board even if he'd cost Gsellman. We can sign an SP better than Gsellman.

Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    Joel Sherman opines the Mets might be interested in Jason Kipnis.

I know he had a down year in 2017, but he's a stud. I'd trade for him in a heartbeat. The ability to play 2B/CF and bat high in the order with his OBP would be perfect for this team. It also lets us play Lagares/Flores/Wright/Cabrera in match-ups vs LHP with no logjam issues. I'm fully on board even if he'd cost Gsellman. We can sign an SP better than Gsellman.
    Naturally, Sherman floats out an idea that I already did

He suggests Gsellman and Guillorme for Kipnis + cash, I could get onboard with that, I would even try to send a similar package for maybe a Joe Panik or something. Gsellman IMO is the guy most likely to be moved from our ML pieces. Gsellman, Guillorme, Nimmo, and Cechenni I would believe can all be packaged for something valuable (I still think Nimmo deserved to start everyday over Lagares)

I like Kipnis but the dude can't play CF.

I am a big fan of Jason Kipnis.
    He'd make for a fine Second Baseman.
    And I like that he can also play CF in a pinch.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

He looked awful in that series against the Yankees in CF. I love Terry Francona but that's an instance where he was getting a bit cute.

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    I am a big fan of Jason Kipnis.
    He'd make for a fine Second Baseman.
    And I like that he can also play CF in a pinch.
    Kipnis is not even a full time 2bman and he is atrocious in CF. He has been used as a DH in every year that he's been in the bigs. That is a very telling testimonial. He will not help our defense. He also was arguably the worst hitter on the Indians last year who was at bat 300+ times. Why clog up 2b. If we can get someone like Dee Gordon, go for it. Otherwise either re-sign Walker or let Cabrera and the youngsters fight it out for the 2b job. Leave Flores penciled in as 3b now but go out and see what we can do to bring in a bonafide 3b who can field the position well. Geez, I would bring Reyes back before trading for Kipnis.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast