Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MVP Finalists

MVP Finalists

American League

Jose Altuve, Aaron Judge, Jose Ramirez

National League

Paul Goldscmidt, Joey Votto, Giancarlo Stanton

Arenado not a MVP finalist

I thought he should have won it. I cant believe he isnt even a finalist.

Stanton easily will and should win it.

Meanwhile, Arenado is tied for 9th in fWAR( including Strasburg), and 5th in rWAR
    4th in WPA

Why do you believe he should have won it?

I think Rendon got snubbed.

Yeah, I think Rendon was my pick late in the year and should definitely be in the conversation; not quite as impressive offensive stats but his defense was much better (and at a more premium position). Stanton is a solid choice as well though.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Under this group, I would go with Altuve, but Trout should be in the discussion again. His season, even missing that much time, was another great Trout-like season.

I totally get the feeling that Rendon was snubbed in the NL, but also, how can you say this guy was clearly, the most valuable player, on a roster that includes Bryce Harper, Daniel Murphy, Ryan Zimmermann, Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg. Goldy would get my vote in the NL.

Any of those three guys deserve it in the AL. I'd tend to say take Ramirez if you're going for a more rounded player or Judge if you want the big basher.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Under this group, I would go with Altuve, but Trout should be in the discussion again. His season, even missing that much time, was another great Trout-like season.

I totally get the feeling that Rendon was snubbed in the NL, but also, how can you say this guy was clearly, the most valuable player, on a roster that includes Bryce Harper, Daniel Murphy, Ryan Zimmermann, Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg. Goldy would get my vote in the NL.
    I don't think other players on a team should be considered when discussing an individual award. They just happened to fortunate enough to be on a good team. Same thing when people say a person on a non-playoff team shouldn't be given an MVP award. It's not their fault the GM didn't put together a quality team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I don't think other players on a team should be considered when discussing an individual award. They just happened to fortunate enough to be on a good team. Same thing when people say a person on a non-playoff team shouldn't be given an MVP award. It's not their fault the GM didn't put together a quality team.
    I think of it completely the opposite way. While I do look at how successful the team was, I also look at the other "star" quality of the team. Like I said with Rendon, how can you say he was more valuable than any of the other stars on his team? If Harper stayed healthy the whole season, he's not going to make the finalist list either.

I think of it completely the opposite way. While I do look at how successful the team was, I also look at the other "star" quality of the team. Like I said with Rendon, how can you say he was more valuable than any of the other stars on his team? If Harper stayed healthy the whole season, he's not going to make the finalist list either.
    Rendon lead the NL in fWAR with Stanton. That's pretty valuable.

....but Harper didn't stay healthy. Rendon was arguably the most valuable player on a team full of stars. I don't see any reason to discount what he did due to his strong supporting cast.

I have Judge and Stanton as my choices. But I think Altuve edges out Judge

Trout!

Altuve/Stanton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast