Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 90
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerSophist View Post
    All this harping on the defense . . . but, this year, the offense has really been the problem. Going into this year, the defense had to be average/adequate/do "just enough" and let our offense put up 30 points every game. In the games we lost, the offense did not move the ball, went 3 an out, turned the ball over which meant the defense was on the field longer than they should have been (definitely a recipe for disaster). I think the woes fall squarely with the offensive side of the ball. The games that stand out in my mind that evidence this are the Broncos (defense gave up only 16 points), Ravens (offense put the team behind two scores right away and could never get back into the game), and Chargers (defense allowed just 17 points).
    Those 3 teams rank in the bottom 1/3 of the league offensive wise. That being said, the D playing well in those 3 games is misleading. It's pretty simple, we are bad on both sides.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    6,797
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    JDR always had preference for big strong run stopping linemen which is fine if you run a 3-4 base. Pagano can fix our defense if he's allowed to do just that. He's a master at blitzing the linebackers unexpectedly.
    One really has to wonder just what is Pagano's involvement is at this point...
    "..When you have great coaches, then after you have great coaches you get great players, you have a great organization, and you tell them one thing-

    Just win baby"

    ~ Al Davis ~

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Raider Nation
    Posts
    2,303
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    This bye week should be treated as a shortened training camp. The one thing that coaches must work on is our defensive secondary. Cutler had an 81% completion. That just can't happen!

    I wanna know why it's taking Conley two years and a day to come back from his so called shin injury. He allowed a 37% completion in college. He must start right now.

    The whole defensive backfield must be refitted and the high priced players should be immediately benched. Nelson should sit in favor of Joseph and Melifonwu must become the starting strong safety. Smith is already benched and the way Amerson was playing when healthy calls for him to be benched as well.

    McDonald has shown ability. That was an excellent pass defense last night. Carrie is still our slot corner as he is among the ten best in the game.

    Haaaa McDonald is NOT the answer dude sorry. Allowed 6 receptions from 7 passes thrown at him.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Top of the world
    Posts
    3,777
    Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    One really has to wonder just what is Pagano's involvement is at this point...
    Whatever it is, itís failed. All that talk about improving communication did nothing it seems. Maybe they are better at telling each other they screwed up quicker.

    Now how we proportion blame is simple. Its all on Head Coach. The failure is in season and following a 12 - 4 season where we never lost any significant talent level in the off season. Itís a young group so trajectory should have been up. Injuries happen to everyone so thatís not an excuse.

    Now if we make playoffs after a great second half credit goes to Head Coach. But I wonít hold my breath just yet.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    6,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    Whatever it is, itís failed. All that talk about improving communication did nothing it seems. Maybe they are better at telling each other they screwed up quicker.

    Now how we proportion blame is simple. Its all on Head Coach. The failure is in season and following a 12 - 4 season where we never lost any significant talent level in the off season. Itís a young group so trajectory should have been up. Injuries happen to everyone so thatís not an excuse.

    Now if we make playoffs after a great second half credit goes to Head Coach. But I wonít hold my breath just yet.
    In general terms over the last say twelve years we have shown little consistency, no sustained resiliency. It also appears that the low points in performance seem to have a stronger effect than that from a strong winning effort. Not being in the locker room, team meetings and such it's a guess at best as to why this condition exists. With a complete turn over of front office, staff and players it defies any rational explanation as to why. The current incarnation has shown zero ability to attain an extended period of high output. The reasons that you stated should without a doubt produced a product a step or two above last year yet we appear to lack the energy needed to sustain a high level of play for more than one week.

    In short I don't think this group is capable of making a turn around. At this point it doesn't even make a difference where one wants to assess blame, it's everywhere in all levels. There are players on the roster that have enough understanding of the Xs and Os to work beyond the deficiencies of the coaches yet save for a couple of individuals that talent is not shining through.

    We don't have a sense of direction, a meaningful, unified application of talent and effort and that really defies all logic....
    "..When you have great coaches, then after you have great coaches you get great players, you have a great organization, and you tell them one thing-

    Just win baby"

    ~ Al Davis ~

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,848
    I've seen stranger things happen. I'm not giving up just yet. If we don't make a run, it will be fun seeing this team maybe blow up some teams and their playoff run. This team could be one pain in the butt, especially if they have nothing at stake for the playoffs.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Top of the world
    Posts
    3,777
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    I've seen stranger things happen. I'm not giving up just yet. If we don't make a run, it will be fun seeing this team maybe blow up some teams and their playoff run. This team could be one pain in the butt, especially if they have nothing at stake for the playoffs.
    In the modern nfl health and form are everything. Who knows if Denver takes out Brady tonight then next weeks game looks easier. If Conley and Amerson get 100% healthy and get in form it could transform our D. While itís possible and I want to dream it will happen, the odds are not as promising.

    33 - 1 for the SB and Iím certain it would worse if Raiders fans didnít keep betting on those odds lol

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    696
    Playoffs might not be that far of a pipe-dream. The AFC Wild-card teams are all mediocre this year. I have a good haunch that 8-8 might be good enough for the last playoff spot. I mean look at the teams in front of us... and their schedules.

    Assuming that Pit, NE, KC and Tennessee win their divisions, the teams we're battling with for a wild-card spot are the following:

    JAX - 6-3 - cle, ari, IND, SEA, HOU, sf, ten. (I think they finish either 9-7 or 10-6 to claim the first wild-card spot)

    BUF - 5-4 - sd, kc, NE, IND, MIA, ne, mia (best they can do is 7-9, maybe 6-10)
    MIA - 4-4 - car, TB, ne, DEN, NE, buf, kc, BUF (not sure if they can win another game this season, maybe 1 or 2)
    BAL - 4-5 - gb, HOU, DET, pit, cle, IND, CIN (believe or not, they might be our stiffest competition for the 2nd wild-card spot. they have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way. They'll win 4 or 5 more games.)
    OAK - 4-5 - NE(L), DEN(W), NYG(W), kc(L), DAL(W), phi(L), sd(W) - we can end up 8-8.

    Teams behind us...
    NYJ - 4-6 - CAR, KC, den, no, LAC, ne. (if everything goes right for them, they'll finish the season 7-9)
    DEN - 3-5, HOU, LAC, CIN - 3-6 (don't think these guys have much of a shot with the schedule they have.)

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusLoci View Post
    Playoffs might not be that far of a pipe-dream. The AFC Wild-card teams are all mediocre this year. I have a good haunch that 8-8 might be good enough for the last playoff spot. I mean look at the teams in front of us... and their schedules.

    Assuming that Pit, NE, KC and Tennessee win their divisions, the teams we're battling with for a wild-card spot are the following:

    JAX - 6-3 - cle, ari, IND, SEA, HOU, sf, ten. (I think they finish either 9-7 or 10-6 to claim the first wild-card spot)

    BUF - 5-4 - sd, kc, NE, IND, MIA, ne, mia (best they can do is 7-9, maybe 6-10)
    MIA - 4-4 - car, TB, ne, DEN, NE, buf, kc, BUF (not sure if they can win another game this season, maybe 1 or 2)
    BAL - 4-5 - gb, HOU, DET, pit, cle, IND, CIN (believe or not, they might be our stiffest competition for the 2nd wild-card spot. they have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way. They'll win 4 or 5 more games.)
    OAK - 4-5 - NE(L), DEN(W), NYG(W), kc(L), DAL(W), phi(L), sd(W) - we can end up 8-8.

    Teams behind us...
    NYJ - 4-6 - CAR, KC, den, no, LAC, ne. (if everything goes right for them, they'll finish the season 7-9)
    DEN - 3-5, HOU, LAC, CIN - 3-6 (don't think these guys have much of a shot with the schedule they have.)
    Baltimore and Buffalo have the tie breaker with us. So we must have a better record to make it.
    This is why I cringed at both of those losses. We should have won both of them. Too late to worry about that now. Think positive.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Top of the world
    Posts
    3,777
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    Baltimore and Buffalo have the tie breaker with us. So we must have a better record to make it.
    This is why I cringed at both of those losses. We should have won both of them. Too late to worry about that now. Think positive.
    Bills are freefalling Flacco looks broken since looking all pro against us. Ah just realised Iím feeling positive as we are not playing this week. False sense of fantasy. New England reality check coming oh no 🤦*♂️

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    Baltimore and Buffalo have the tie breaker with us. So we must have a better record to make it.
    This is why I cringed at both of those losses. We should have won both of them. Too late to worry about that now. Think positive.
    I'm not that worried about Buffalo honestly, I don't think they win more than 1 or 2 games the rest of the way. They might beat Indy, or one of the two remaining Miami games, but I don't see them winning another game (@lac, @kc, NE, @ne)

    Baltimore can possibly win against gb, HOU, cle, IND, CIN. If they're able to win 4 of the 5 games against these teams they'll finish 8-8. The only games they will surely lose are the Pittsburgh, and Detroit games.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusLoci:31977922
    Playoffs might not be that far of a pipe-dream. The AFC Wild-card teams are all mediocre this year. I have a good haunch that 8-8 might be good enough for the last playoff spot. I mean look at the teams in front of us... and their schedules.

    Assuming that Pit, NE, KC and Tennessee win their divisions, the teams we're battling with for a wild-card spot are the following:

    JAX - 6-3 - cle, ari, IND, SEA, HOU, sf, ten. (I think they finish either 9-7 or 10-6 to claim the first wild-card spot)

    BUF - 5-4 - sd, kc, NE, IND, MIA, ne, mia (best they can do is 7-9, maybe 6-10)
    MIA - 4-4 - car, TB, ne, DEN, NE, buf, kc, BUF (not sure if they can win another game this season, maybe 1 or 2)
    BAL - 4-5 - gb, HOU, DET, pit, cle, IND, CIN (believe or not, they might be our stiffest competition for the 2nd wild-card spot. they have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way. They'll win 4 or 5 more games.)
    OAK - 4-5 - NE(L), DEN(W), NYG(W), kc(L), DAL(W), phi(L), sd(W) - we can end up 8-8.

    Teams behind us...
    NYJ - 4-6 - CAR, KC, den, no, LAC, ne. (if everything goes right for them, they'll finish the season 7-9)
    DEN - 3-5, HOU, LAC, CIN - 3-6 (don't think these guys have much of a shot with the schedule they have.)
    We would want Jax to take the south over Tenn since we hold the tie over Tenn. W/ CLE, Ari, IND, Hou, and SF as wins Jax will finish at least 11-5. Tenn will take the 1st wild card in all reality so we might as well ignore the south tbh. Our best shot is to get to 9-10 wins and hope Bal struggles.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    12,608
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    Baltimore and Buffalo have the tie breaker with us. So we must have a better record to make it.
    This is why I cringed at both of those losses. We should have won both of them. Too late to worry about that now. Think positive.
    Yes Balt and Buffalo have tie breakers against us but in the event of an equal record AFC record counts first before head to head. If we have more AFC wins they they do it wont matter about our head to head. Of course if we are equal there too then yes having lost the head to head makes it worse.

    Never Forget

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    Yes Balt and Buffalo have tie breakers against us but in the event of an equal record AFC record counts first before head to head. If we have more AFC wins they they do it wont matter about our head to head. Of course if we are equal there too then yes having lost the head to head makes it worse.
    I believe head-to-head is the first tie-breaker before anything else.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusLoci View Post
    I believe head-to-head is the first tie-breaker before anything else.
    I believe you're correct. The conf. games only come into play as a second option, or if there;s no head to head.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •