Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I don't think the Yankees would expect any prospects for Headley. it would be all about salary relief.

How much they'd be willing to eat comes down to what else they do, IMO. They're 100% getting under the tax. I calculated earlier they have about $28.8M available to spend. I think they'll try to move Ellsbury and eat a bunch of money there too because they have 4 better outfielders in Judge/Hicks/Gardner/Clint Frazier. So anything they can save there is gravy. No use in Ellsbury as a 5th OF.

Headley is different because there is a use for him as a bench piece. So if you eat $8M of Headley's $13M you're only saving $5M but at that point is clearing $5M worth it? Why not just keep him as a solid bench piece? But if that $5M is important for other moves that's different.

So I think it's tough to answer how much we'd eat with no context.
    With the glut of good 3b out there, I wouldn't expect much back in terms of talent, but I see what you mean, they're not just going to cut him, or eat 90% of the contract.
    And this also sort of depends on how the angels off season goes too. They may go after Frazier or Cozart, or Nunez or make a trade we don't expect, IDK we'll see what happens, but they're trying to contend and could use a 3b.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I know the angels are looking at 3rd base for now and in the future, next years options of Machado and Rendon are much better than Moustakas and Frazier.
    What would the yankees want back (understand the angels have practically nothing) and how much would the yankees be willing to eat off his 13 mill?
    Probably wouldn't ask for much. A lower level prospect? Nobody highly ranked. Headley is an average player on a 1 year deal. I'd also expect the Yankees to likely eat at least half of his remaining salary.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Probably wouldn't ask for much. A lower level prospect? Nobody highly ranked. Headley is an average player on a 1 year deal. I'd also expect the Yankees to likely eat at least half of his remaining salary.

I'd take Headley at 13MM if you take Markakis at 11

If you eat half then you're saving $6.5M... unless the Yankees need that marginal amount of money then I'd rather just keep him as solid depth.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Wondering what return Fulmer would bring back. Don’t know that he’s being looked at to trade but wouldn’t be surprised if the right deal would move him.

Also wonder why there is no interest in Kinsler. He just missed out on another gold glove and while his offense was down last year and I don’t expect him to hit like he did 2-3 years ago, there’s still a good chance he’s better than he was last year. Watching the WS, every time Utley came up to bat I thought I bet they wish they had Kinsler right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Wondering what return Fulmer would bring back. Don’t know that he’s being looked at to trade but wouldn’t be surprised if the right deal would move him.

Also wonder why there is no interest in Kinsler. He just missed out on another gold glove and while his offense was down last year and I don’t expect him to hit like he did 2-3 years ago, there’s still a good chance he’s better than he was last year. Watching the WS, every time Utley came up to bat I thought I bet they wish they had Kinsler right now.
    You may be getting your wish.

Lynn Henning of the Detroit News writes that Ian Kinsler "is expected to be traded" this offseason.
    Kinsler's name came up in trade rumors prior to the July deadline, but he obviously stayed put. However, the Tigers are in rebuild mode so it makes sense for them to see what they can get for the 35-year-old this winter. Kinsler is owed a reasonable $11 million in 2018 and remains a terrific defender, but he's coming off a career-worst offensive season (.236/.313/.412). Oct 13 - 4:42 PM
    - Rotoworld

I think the Tigers would have to wait until around the deadline to get a fair return for Fulmer, if they were to seek a trade for him, since he's coming off surgery.

I want to see the Mets sign CC Sabathia. We need a veteran pitching presence in the rotation. Someone who can eat innings. He'd be a nice fit given the Mets financial restraints.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    What I hope to see the Cardinals do this off-season

I've spent a lot of time wondering what we should have to do this off-season. Some off-seasons (like let Pujols walk, sign Beltran for example) were obvious choices.

This year has been a struggle because we have a team of quantity and 2 win players with good depth, and are a close to competitive, but not quite team. We have been stuck in the middle for awhile, and that's a touch place to be. You want to either rebuild or win now. Not be stuck in limbo.

So, I finally mapped out the direction I would prefer, and tried to be realistic.

Get Stanton.

Give up O’Neill, Flaherty, and one of Grichuk or Piscotty. My guess is they would take Grichuk over Piscotty.

That is two outfielders, with Grichuk being capable of being their CFer, and O'Neill as a long term option as an outfielder, but can start the season in AAA. Flaherty can slate directly into their rotation. Cards take on 100% of Stanton's contract.

Of course, Stanton needs to agree to this trade.

Re-sign Nicasio (3/24, spread equally)
    Sign Bryan Shaw (3/21, spread equally)
    Find a starter to be there in case Wainwright can’t start and needs to go the pen (that fringe starter/long reliever vet - Wade Miley, Tyler Chatwood, Liriano, etc 1/6 with incentives)
    Diaz and Voit to Tampa Bay for Brad Miller

Molina and Kelly catch
    1B – Carpenter/Miller
    2B – Wong/Gryoko/Miller/Garcia
    SS – DeJong/Miller/Garcia
    3B – Gyroko/Carpenter/Garcia/Miller
    LF – Pham
    CF – Fowler
    RF – Stanton
    OF – Piscotty
    OF – Martinez

Rotation
    1. Martinez
    2. Wacha
    3. Wainwright
    4. Weaver
    5. Hudson
    Reyes when healthy moves Hudson or Wainwright based on performance. Wainwright to pen or Hudson to AAA

Long man/swing reliever (Minor?)
    Bowman, Cecil, Nicasio, Shaw?, Alcantara, Lyons, Brebbia etc

Protect guys like Mercado and upside minor leaguers.

Lineup
    1. Carpenter
    2. Fowler
    3. Pham
    4. Stanton
    5-8 combo of Molina, Gyroko, Wong, DeJong, Miller.

That’s a much improved offense in 2018, with Piscotty/Grichuk (whichever isn’t traded) prepared to step in when injuries happen.

If the Marlins would rather have Hudson than Flaherty, that’s an option too.

Cards need and can handle Stanton better than another MLB club.

Contracts would look like this:
    Long man option- $6M guaranteed, with another $3M for hitting various innings pitched marks ($500K at 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 175)
    Nicasio - $3/24 - $8 spread evenly
    Shaw - $3/21 - $7 spread evenly
    Front loading with either pitcher may not be a bad idea, but with Wainwright's ugly contract this year, it could be a choice they can consider.

Payroll (budget of $165M) and 40 man:

C - Molina - $20M
    C - Kelly - .5M
    1B - Carpenter - $13.75M
    2B - Wong - $4M
    SS - DeJong - $.5M
    3B - Gyroko - $9M
    IF - Garcia - $.5M
    IF - Miller - $4.4M (projected)
    LF - Pham - $.5M
    CF - Fowler - $16.5M
    RF - Stanton - $25M
    OF - Piscotty - $1.3M
    OF - Martinez - $.5M

13 players - $96.45M

Pitching
    Rotation
    1. Martinez - $11.7M
    2. Wacha - $5.9M (projected)
    3. Reyes - $.5M
    4. Weaver - $.5M
    5. Flaherty - $.5M
    6. Wainwright - $19.5M
    Long - One of the options- $6M

Reliever
    Lyons (L) - $1.3M (projected)
    Cecil (L) - $7.75M
    Bowman (R) - $.5M
    Nicasio (R) - $8M
    Shaw (R) - $7M
    Tuvy (R) - $.5M
    Alcantara (R) - $.5M

14 pitchers - $70.15M

Additional players for the 40 man that could see minor league time
    C - Rosario
    IF - Mejia
    IF - Sosa
    IF - Valera
    OF - Sierra
    OF - Bader
    Add to 40 man - Mercado OF
    All hitters - 20 total players - $100.0M

P - Mayers
    P - Sherriff
    P - Lucas
    P - Wick
    Add to 40 man - Gomber
    All pitchers - 18 total players - $72.15M

Room for two others they can still protect

There are a few additional movements the team can make in regards to the 40 man, but that's another discussion.

They have some money coming and going in regards to Gyroko and Leake, not certain how that affects their budget. Cot's has it listed as $2.5 of Gyroko is paid by Padres. Cards are paying $6M to Seattle for Leake this year. So that would put this years budget up to $170, with next year going back down to $160M with not many needs left for the club.

I would think $150M is more realistic for them, this is spending $170M, but they should be able to absorb it for a year, especially with Wainwright falling off the following year.

If there is an area to pull back on, it would be that Shaw is a luxury. He would be the last priority. The hope is that no market ever developed for him because of the Holland's and Davis' of the market and he falls down to a price that the Cards would be happy to have.

I would say this is a 90-94 win team on paper.
    Absolutely tremendously well thought out and researched post! Nice job Jeffy.

My opinion is that a Stanton deal can not be made without Reyes in the deal.

I expect the Dodgers to Trade Grandal, with the emergence of Farmer and Barnes who are both pre-arbitration vs Grandal who's entering his final year of arbitration and is projected to make like 8 mill, I think they just deal him to a team who needs a catcher.

Good news the Angels have plenty of those!

I know there's been a lot of chatter about the angels targeting either Ceaser Hernandez or Dee Gorond in trade. I would be down for that, or signing Zack Cozart and putting him at 3rd.

As a Yankees fan I am pretty happy with the direction of the team and think the plan pats laid out is reasonable, I just have one issue with it.

I do not want Moustakas.

As much as I am not a Castro fan, I am not sure the Yankees can afford to move him while Andujar and Torres are both questionable.

Right now, the Yankees have a 2 win 2B and cannot afford to lose production there. Judge is likely going to regress to his second half version in 2018 and another Wild Card berth is not going to do it.

I would hold on to Castro, pass on Blevins and use internal options to reinforce the bp, and perhaps find a way to convince Todd Frazier to take a 2-year deal to hold down third.

The goal is to move dead money, Ellennberry, Head, and avoid wasting extra money on the aged lhp behemoth.

If Ohtani does not come to NY then the Yankees are in trouble.

He is the key.

Ian Kinsler is still a solid player and he’s due to have a rebound year next season offensively. He had a .244 BABIP which is way down from his usual .300 ish and he was hitting LD around his normal amount and he had his best hard contact rate ever.

What would you consider a fair offer from the Brewers for Kinsler?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Ian Kinsler is still a solid player and he’s due to have a rebound year next season offensively. He had a .244 BABIP which is way down from his usual .300 ish and he was hitting LD around his normal amount and he had his best hard contact rate ever.
    Or.....and I'm leaning this way, At the age of 35, last season was the beginning of the end of his career. Some players show a slow regression as they age. And some players have it happen to them very quickly. We won't until next season with Ian.

I think it's much more likely that Villar has a bounce back season more than Kinsler.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast