Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Johnny Cueto doesn't opt out; will remain a Giant through 2021

I thought he would opt out especially after Tanaka opted in.
    Kings

“Maybe one of these days I won't fail ” - Clayton Kershaw following Dodgers World Series loss

After last year, it seemed like a given he would. After his most recent season, it seemed like a given he wouldn't.

I'm cool with it and think he could very likely have a bounceback season.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

yeah man. i think we need him still.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    After last year, it seemed like a given he would. After his most recent season, it seemed like a given he wouldn't.

I'm with spliff. I feel it was kind of fortuitous it worked out this way. If the Giants (as well as Cueto) didn't have a down season, our success and a strong year would have priced him out for us and he doesn't stay.

Now if we can get some consistency and good play from our team again with a splash trade or some signings, we'll still have an ace pitcher with a good amount left in the tank to buoy us. The bonus is he will be at below market rate too. It was a win/win with him opting in. I believe he will be back to normal in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post

After last season I knew he wasn't going to go else where. He's in decline and he knows it. His last big easy money contract. Money down a rat hole for us, wished he would have hit the market. Swallow hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleyeson49 View Post
    I'm with spliff. I feel it was kind of fortuitous it worked out this way. If the Giants (as well as Cueto) didn't have a down season, our success and a strong year would have priced him out for us and he doesn't stay.

Now if we can get some consistency and good play from our team again with a splash trade or some signings, we'll still have an ace pitcher with a good amount left in the tank to buoy us. The bonus is he will be at below market rate too. It was a win/win with him opting in. I believe he will be back to normal in no time.
    Sorry, by the time we get another ring, JC won't even be on this club. Wished someone else would have paid him.
    Last edited by WiGi1; 11-06-2017 at 10:46 AM.

It has nothing to do with being a loyal fan. It seems we refuse to understand just how bad this club REALLY is.

JC had a bad year. The entire team had a bad year. In the overall scheme of things having him back ain't the worst thing that can happen. He could rebound and pitch well or he could go Timmy on us, but I'll take the chance on him rather than look elsewhere for another rotation guy.

Bum, Shark, JC, and we'll see what the young guys bring. (I don't have a lot of faith in Moore, but him turning things around would be huge.) Things would have to go really bad to be worse than this year's team.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Quote Originally Posted by WiGi1 View Post
    It has nothing to do with being a loyal fan. It seems we refuse to understand just how bad this club REALLY is.
    You really seem convinced the only way back is total tear down. Not our way of doing things. Even in the mid 2000's they tried to compete with the likes of Rowand, Zito, Molina et al. They filled gaps then, they will do it again. Giants aren't stripping down bare due to one (or even 1 1/2) bad seasons.
    Baseball has been very very good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    You really seem convinced the only way back is total tear down. Not our way of doing things. Even in the mid 2000's they tried to compete with the likes of Rowand, Zito, Molina et al. They filled gaps then, they will do it again. Giants aren't stripping down bare due to one (or even 1 1/2) bad seasons.
    RamOG, what I want more that anything is for this club to have a strong foundation. We were exposed last year and before that, just plain lucky. To be a strong contending team every year, you have to be strong from the ground up. The Cards were a good example for some time. We have so many holes along with average unexciting players that really can't move us forward. Teams are getting better every year even in our own division. There are so many teams that are light years ahead of us already. It's rare for a club to wake up as contenders but yes, it can happen. But I want us to be around every year for a long time. Contenders not solely because of luck, but because this is a good club from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    JC had a bad year. The entire team had a bad year. In the overall scheme of things having him back ain't the worst thing that can happen. He could rebound and pitch well or he could go Timmy on us, but I'll take the chance on him rather than look elsewhere for another rotation guy.

Bum, Shark, JC, and we'll see what the young guys bring. (I don't have a lot of faith in Moore, but him turning things around would be huge.) Things would have to go really bad to be worse than this year's team.
    Well, we didn't have a choice with JC as it was up to him. I still feel he's in decline which is why he didn't bolt. If last year was like '16, he would have been gone like a shot. We finished a quarter of the season out of the running. I certainly don't see a ring in our future next year. It's all about building a club.

More like it seems that you refuse to see any light at the end of the tunnel no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    ^^^^

RamOG, what I want more that anything is for this club to have a strong foundation. We were exposed last year and before that, just plain lucky. To be a strong contending team every year, you have to be strong from the ground up. The Cards were a good example for some time. We have so many holes along with average unexciting players that really can't move us forward. Teams are getting better every year even in our own division. There are so many teams that are light years ahead of us already. It's rare for a club to wake up as contenders but yes, it can happen. But I want us to be around every year for a long time. Contenders not solely because of luck, but because this is a good club from top to bottom.
    Just plain lucky?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast