Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 584
  1. #241
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    24,572
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    They ever fix the online play for The Show? I used to buy it every year until one year the online play was a complete unplayable abomination and then they kicked me off their forums for trying to get to the bottom of it.
    Idk, never play it online bc all I'd do is strike out bc other people just throw balls all day and I swing lol. Haven't tried playing the show online in probably 4+ yrs

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  2. #242
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37,038
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Idk, never play it online bc all I'd do is strike out bc other people just throw balls all day and I swing lol. Haven't tried playing the show online in probably 4+ yrs

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I liked the challenge of all the garbage pitchers and learned to draw walks accordingly. Would always end up with an online triple slash of something in the 250/350/450 range. Usually took a few innings each game for me to pick up my opponents patterns.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52,139
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Yeah, I liked the challenge of all the garbage pitchers and learned to draw walks accordingly. Would always end up with an online triple slash of something in the 250/350/450 range. Usually took a few innings each game for me to pick up my opponents patterns.
    I never bother online except with some buddies.

    I still get it every year, but I still miss MVP baseball.

    The show has so many problems, but with no competition, they'll continue to create a new roster set each year and 'improve the graphics! zomg!'...and it's the same broken franchise and RTTS game.

    I play 20 hours of OOTP for every hour I play the Show lol. I haven't even turned on this years Show since probably May or June.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 01-03-2018 at 08:37 PM.

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    51,615
    I love OOTP. I buy the new OOTP every year (sometimes a little later), but truthfully, the Show is a wonderful game. Franchise mode isn't perfect and has some flaws, but with proper slider sets, the in-game gameplay is really fantastic in the Show and something you can't get with OOTP. They're different games offering different experiences. Both are great.

    I don't find the Show very flawed, especially if you tune it. With tweaks and a good (readily and freely available tuner set), especially with the full minor league rosters, the Show is a great game. And it's not like you don't have to impose some house rules on OOTP anyways (or it's really easy to game the computer on trading especially for prospects or dumping contracts).
    We're From Philadelphia


    We. Fight.

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52,139
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I love OOTP. I buy the new OOTP every year (sometimes a little later), but truthfully, the Show is a wonderful game. Franchise mode isn't perfect and has some flaws, but with proper slider sets, the in-game gameplay is really fantastic in the Show and something you can't get with OOTP. They're different games offering different experiences. Both are great.

    I don't find the Show very flawed, especially if you tune it. With tweaks and a good (readily and freely available tuner set), especially with the full minor league rosters, the Show is a great game. And it's not like you don't have to impose some house rules on OOTP anyways (or it's really easy to game the computer on trading especially for prospects or dumping contracts).
    Absolutely.

    But I love the GM aspect of things when I play, more than even the game play.

    I was dying for a great RTTS. But it's kind of silly in the Show in my opinion.

    Contracts are all wrong, trades are ********, and even with the properly uploaded roster from a 3rd party, the guys that come into the league are all over the place. I'm tired of seeing 5'9 lefties who throw 100 and throw a knuckleball with a A potential showing up, followed by a 70 overall/70 potential left fielder who is MLB ready day one, with no development over time. While that happens from time to time in real life, it happens all the time the in the Show. There is just no long term building a roster in the Show. Plus, you can sign guys to unrealistic contracts all the time. This past year, Michael Wacha was 3rd in Cy Young, then released from his arbitration contract from the Cardinals, and then I signed him for 10 years at $15M. Not $15M per year. $15M for 10 years, $1.5 each year.

    That's annoying.


    If they could correct the franchise ailments and make it more GM ready, and allow a connected career aspect like Madden, or the park/pro-am type of features of 2K, then I would probably never stop playing it.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    13,723
    I tried to get into OOTP a few years ago, but I guess I never got hang of it. I have hidden forums here for old OOTP leagues, and if some veterans wanted to help lead it, I would participate. Not sure how many teams we would have now, however.

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    51,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Absolutely.

    But I love the GM aspect of things when I play, more than even the game play.

    I was dying for a great RTTS. But it's kind of silly in the Show in my opinion.

    Contracts are all wrong, trades are ********, and even with the properly uploaded roster from a 3rd party, the guys that come into the league are all over the place. I'm tired of seeing 5'9 lefties who throw 100 and throw a knuckleball with a A potential showing up, followed by a 70 overall/70 potential left fielder who is MLB ready day one, with no development over time. While that happens from time to time in real life, it happens all the time the in the Show. There is just no long term building a roster in the Show. Plus, you can sign guys to unrealistic contracts all the time. This past year, Michael Wacha was 3rd in Cy Young, then released from his arbitration contract from the Cardinals, and then I signed him for 10 years at $15M. Not $15M per year. $15M for 10 years, $1.5 each year.

    That's annoying.


    If they could correct the franchise ailments and make it more GM ready, and allow a connected career aspect like Madden, or the park/pro-am type of features of 2K, then I would probably never stop playing it.
    I don't hate RTTS. It's not perfect. But you can have fun with it. I guess when I go with an RTTS, I'm not looking for realistic always.

    And with the Franchise, they did a better job this year. I ran a franchise with the Marlins and I was having legit budget issues with a $120m salary 15 years down the road. I had to make some hard choices. And I'll say this...I really fell in love with some of my guys like I can in OOTP. Raul Cortez played LF for the Marlins and letting him walk at age 36 because he was declining (he won three MVP awards, 6 batting titles and 3 championships) was bittersweet. Hit a bomb in his last PA ever (I played random playoff games every year, simmed the reg season). Trading away Brian Guitierez (my former 1st round pick, who fully developed) to the Dodgers and playing him in the first round? It was sad to see. I get the same way with some of my OOTP players who I develop and keep around until they retire their numbers (I will always love Ryan Klesko and Rick Ankiel. Not their real life counterparts, no, the fictional versions that turned into 1st ballot HoF'ers on the Virginia Pioneers in one of my sims).

    The franchise mode isn't nearly as in depth as OOTP, but like I said, I look for a different experience with both. They're both...in their respective boxes. OOTP is fun because of all of the fun crazy scenarios I can make. The Show is fun if I want to play 20 games or whatever and control the PA. I love both for what they are. They're different versions of the baseball experience. I doubt we ever see a game that has both because I don't think the appeal is there mass market. The reason Franchise gets little love is because Diamond Dynasty makes money and Franchise isn't a seller any more.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-05-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    We're From Philadelphia


    We. Fight.

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52,139
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I don't hate RTTS. It's not perfect. But you can have fun with it. I guess when I go with an RTTS, I'm not looking for realistic always.

    And with the Franchise, they did a better job this year. I ran a franchise with the Marlins and I was having legit budget issues with a $120m salary 15 years down the road. I had to make some hard choices. And I'll say this...I really fell in love with some of my guys like I can in OOTP. Raul Cortez played LF for the Marlins and letting him walk at age 36 because he was declining (he won three MVP awards, 6 batting titles and 3 championships) was bittersweet. Hit a bomb in his last PA ever (I played random playoff games every year, simmed the reg season). Trading away Brian Guitierez (my former 1st round pick, who fully developed) to the Dodgers and playing him in the first round? It was sad to see. I get the same way with some of my OOTP players who I develop and keep around until they retire their numbers (I will always love Ryan Klesko and Rick Ankiel. Not their real life counterparts, no, the fictional versions that turned into 1st ballot HoF'ers on the Virginia Pioneers in one of my sims).

    The franchise mode isn't nearly as in depth as OOTP, but like I said, I look for a different experience with both. They're both...in their respective boxes. OOTP is fun because of all of the fun crazy scenarios I can make. The Show is fun if I want to play 20 games or whatever and control the PA. I love both for what they are. They're different versions of the baseball experience. I doubt we ever see a game that has both because I don't think the appeal is there mass market. The reason Franchise gets little love is because Diamond Dynasty makes money and Franchise isn't a seller any more.
    That's awesome man!

    And I know, and it sucks. Hell, I'd pay big bucks for a game that did cover all of that.

    I know what you mean. I still remember Josh Smoker from several years ago turning into one of the most dominating aces ever, and I drafted him as a late first rounder. Dude posted several sub 2 ERA seasons and I kept extending him out further and further out of a love for him at that point lol.

    I have never see him doing anything even remotely close in any other franchises lol, but I kept trying to land him to see what he could do lol.

    I had the Yankees once (drew teams out of a hat and competed against my bro-in-law who had the Braves).

    Gary Sanchez hit over 500 HR. I traded for and extended Strasburg. And had a 38th rounder turn into a Hall of Fame left fielder.

    It was amazing. But I only won one chip in a 15 year dominance run. Then had to rebuild, which was actually more fun. We took that thing into the 2050's.

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    51,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    That's awesome man!

    And I know, and it sucks. Hell, I'd pay big bucks for a game that did cover all of that.

    I know what you mean. I still remember Josh Smoker from several years ago turning into one of the most dominating aces ever, and I drafted him as a late first rounder. Dude posted several sub 2 ERA seasons and I kept extending him out further and further out of a love for him at that point lol.

    I have never see him doing anything even remotely close in any other franchises lol, but I kept trying to land him to see what he could do lol.

    I had the Yankees once (drew teams out of a hat and competed against my bro-in-law who had the Braves).

    Gary Sanchez hit over 500 HR. I traded for and extended Strasburg. And had a 38th rounder turn into a Hall of Fame left fielder.

    It was amazing. But I only won one chip in a 15 year dominance run. Then had to rebuild, which was actually more fun. We took that thing into the 2050's.
    Yeah I love how OOTP makes you fall in love with a few randoms. Frank Tanana is another personal favorite of mine. Won me 240+ games in another. You really get attached to a few of those guys who change your franchise.

    My favorite way to play is to set up a new game in the 1960's somewhere. Then immediately expand the league with a few teams. I use the custom teams provided in the mod forum. Then add historical drafts, with random years/players and see who I draft and who turns into what. You can get some pretty crazy outcomes where Rick Ankiel turned into the greatest SP the league has seen and Barry Bonds is an injury riddled mess. All in the 1970's.
    We're From Philadelphia


    We. Fight.

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52,139
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Yeah I love how OOTP makes you fall in love with a few randoms. Frank Tanana is another personal favorite of mine. Won me 240+ games in another. You really get attached to a few of those guys who change your franchise.

    My favorite way to play is to set up a new game in the 1960's somewhere. Then immediately expand the league with a few teams. I use the custom teams provided in the mod forum. Then add historical drafts, with random years/players and see who I draft and who turns into what. You can get some pretty crazy outcomes where Rick Ankiel turned into the greatest SP the league has seen and Barry Bonds is an injury riddled mess. All in the 1970's.
    I've never done the random players/random years. I love the history of the sport and sort of 'reliving' what happened at that time.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cool Ranch, NM
    Posts
    29,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    That's awesome man!

    And I know, and it sucks. Hell, I'd pay big bucks for a game that did cover all of that.

    I know what you mean. I still remember Josh Smoker from several years ago turning into one of the most dominating aces ever, and I drafted him as a late first rounder. Dude posted several sub 2 ERA seasons and I kept extending him out further and further out of a love for him at that point lol.

    I have never see him doing anything even remotely close in any other franchises lol, but I kept trying to land him to see what he could do lol.

    I had the Yankees once (drew teams out of a hat and competed against my bro-in-law who had the Braves).

    Gary Sanchez hit over 500 HR. I traded for and extended Strasburg. And had a 38th rounder turn into a Hall of Fame left fielder.

    It was amazing. But I only won one chip in a 15 year dominance run. Then had to rebuild, which was actually more fun. We took that thing into the 2050's.
    I saw the name Josh Smoker and my eyes lit up. He's our ****** lefty reliever lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,284
    I used to get free copies of OOTP every year for writing a review of their game on sites. I really couldn’t get into it though and would much rather play The Show.

    Baseball mogul used to be big back in the day but it’s pretty non existent now

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    I used to get free copies of OOTP every year for writing a review of their game on sites. I really couldn’t get into it though and would much rather play The Show.

    Baseball mogul used to be big back in the day but it’s pretty non existent now
    Mogul is what I played originally, and how I found OOTP.

    Once Clay stopped putting time or, well anything, into Mogul, I gave up. And I'm still personal friends with Clay and Dee.

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Mogul is what I played originally, and how I found OOTP.

    Once Clay stopped putting time or, well anything, into Mogul, I gave up. And I'm still personal friends with Clay and Dee.
    Yeah I used to run many leagues on forums and you could fill it up in a day now there’s barely any leagues anymore and no one plays it. OOTP took them down


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #255
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    40,939
    TBH I still play the old basic Mogul from 06 fairly regularly. I sort of like the simplicity. I can handle 7 rounds of drafting, not 50.

    I also found a fun football sim for mobile called Pro Football Coach. It's basically like an off brand stripped-down version of Madden GM with not nearly as many attributes or repercussions to pore over but still a fun way to kill an hour or two.

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •