Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    Can you provide a reference that states otherwise? Do you think it's more or less than 80%? I was doing some reading a few years ago when I injured my back that they are extremely common, and my doctor wouldn't even take an MRI because the discs heal anyway.
    Wait... you used a statistic... then asked me to provide evidence that it’s NOT true?

Where’s your reference that it is?
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”

- Carl Sagan

I don't think it's crazy to think he won't opt out

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Wait... you used a statistic... then asked me to provide evidence that it’s NOT true?

Where’s your reference that it is?

As you can see it's pretty damn common. My doctor said they heal, my disc that I herniated took about a year to heal and personally feels 100% I am every bit as athletic as I was before the disc injury. Also herniated discs are bit like herpes, a lot of people don't know that they have had them.
    Last edited by USCFOOTBALL; 11-06-2017 at 08:55 PM.

As you can see it's pretty damn common. My doctor said they heal, my disc that I herniated took about a year to heal and personally feels 100% I am every bit as athletic as I was before the disc injury. Also herniated discs are bit like herpes, a lot of people don't know that they have had them.
    None of that says this...

80% of the population has herniated discs.
    And I mean that quite literally... firstly, in the sense that you said “herniated” disc and are showing statistics for “bulging” discs, and secondly that the only portion of the population that seems to meet your 80% criteria for “bulging” discs - which, again, is not what you said - is the portion of the population that is over 80 years old.

Last edited by USCFOOTBALL; 11-07-2017 at 12:08 PM.

This is one common statement Herniated disc and bulging disc usually imply the same thing. There is no specific definition for the term herniated disc, bulging or protruded disc.

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/7734/treatment/alternative-treatments/defintion-bulging-vs-herniated-spinal-disc
    Last edited by USCFOOTBALL; 11-07-2017 at 12:15 PM.

This is one common statement Herniated disc and bulging disc usually imply the same thing. There is no specific definition for the term herniated disc, bulging or protruded disc.

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/d...ed-spinal-disc
    That simply says they’re generally diagnosed similarly by doctors. If you read a bit further down...

“Rather than try to reconcile the terminology used to refer to disc problems, it's generally more useful for patients to gain a clear understanding of the precise medical diagnosis, which identifies the actual cause of the patient’s low back pain, leg pain, or other symptoms.

Bulging
    Bulging discs are still contained within the annulus fibrosis. Herniated disc extend outside the annulus.

Herniated
    A herniated disc is a traumatic focused injury to the disc, which results in a portion of the nucleus, or inside material, pushing out into a nerve.”

There is a clear delineation in the definition of the two terms. The term hernia inherently describes displacement through a protective cavity/cell. Bulging implies that the injury is still contained within the cavity.

Bulging discs are more common than herniated discs. While a disc may go directly from healthy to herniated (slipped), it is my understanding that it is much more common for a herniated disc to be the result of the pressure caused by a bulging disc.

Then again, I’m no doctor. However, IMO, it’s pretty clear that there is no basis to support the claim that either “80% of the population has herniated discs” or bulging discs.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 11-07-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12