Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clayton Kershaw Opt out clause after 2018 season

For those of you that do not know Kershaw has an opt out clause after the 2018 season. I know it's a little premature but we are in the off season going into 2018 so figured I'd bring this question up before we see him pitch in 2018.

I've always been a big Kershaw fan since he debuted against the Cardinals in 2008. It hurts me when I see people destroy him on social media about being a bust in the post season.

Unfortunately I have to say that he has failed us in key moments. We all know what happened in game 5.

I used to worry about losing Kershaw by him opting out but after seeing his post season woes continue I can't help but feel less worried. Granted we still have all of 2018 & he's got time IMO to redeem himself to all Dodgers fans in October of next year. But let's say we do fail to win it all next October & a big part of that falls on Claytons in ability to win a key game...again.

Do you feel like maybe he should go play else where? Considering the money he will be asking for? As well as the extra years. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the current FO steps back and makes him give the Dodgers a some what more friendly contract for the team.

If you're the front office & a guy comes to you saying he wants more money and he's failed in the post season do you give in?

I do think with Urias going down this past year it makes things a bit more complicated. I don't think he'll even be ready for much of 2018. I had always thought that 2017 would be the year Urias proved to the Dodgers that he can be a #2 behind Kershaw & even a #1 on some teams. So with that said losing Kershaw wouldn't be as big of a deal with guys like Urias, Buehler in the wings.

For the record, I don't want him to leave but I just know that a few years ago I remember being worried about him possibly opting out. And now while I don't want him to leave & feel that the Dodgers need to maybe move on if he is asking for too much.

2018 30 Los Angeles Dodgers $35,571,429
    2019 31 Los Angeles Dodgers $34,571,429
    2020 32 Los Angeles Dodgers $35,571,429

If the herniated disc continues to be a problem, then we should let him go like we did with Greinke if he wants to opt out. It wouldn't be worth giving him a new and longer contract. But hopefully he'll be here through 2020.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    If the herniated disc continues to be a problem, then we should let him go like we did with Greinke if he wants to opt out. It wouldn't be worth giving him a new and longer contract. But hopefully he'll be here through 2020.
    I meant to put that in there. Kershaw joked around about possibly retiring if they won the WS. I don't know why but for some reason I just feel that he might do it. He's got plenty of money & now a family. He's very active in other ways. If he's in pain & feels like he's where he wants to be he might be okay with losing 50m. I know it sounds crazy to most but Kershaw is a different type of person than most. Money might not be a motivating factor for him.

I also noticed that if he did retire after next season. He would be retiring at age 30. The same age as Sandy Koufax.

Well Sandy retired because of chronic injury that may cause his arm to basically fail. Kershaw, unless he suffers this HD every single year, I just don't see it. I can see him working on his foundation through out, but his competitive passion just wont let him retire.

Kershaw better take a discount. Tell him we will use some of the money we save to go out and sign Harper, Machado or another elite player in the 2019 class. I don't think he is worth 35+ million going into his 30's and his bad back. 22-25 million a year would be ideal. I don't think he cares about the money. I could also see him going back home to join the Astros or Rangers. He will still have a legit chance to win the WS with the Astros if he decides to leave.

I would seriously hate to see CK pitch for any other team but the Dodgers. Something about an entire career for one team that adds to the legacy of the greats. I always loved the great pitchers no matter the team they played for. (I could live with him skipping starts against my team though... )

My baseball youth/life had some great lefties; Warren Spahn, Whitey Ford, Sandy Koufax, Steve Carlton (watched him fan 12 Mets at Shea once), and later Tom Glavine, Randy Johnson, CK, and of course MadBum.

Of course back issues are a different animal, I'd hate to see a guy cut down in his prime due to that or any other injury. Anyhow, just my 2 fwiw...
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    I would seriously hate to see CK pitch for any other team but the Dodgers.
    With our luck he'll sign with SF or NY... play a few seasons there and then go into the HOF as a Giant or Yankee!

Quote Originally Posted by handle View Post
    With our luck he'll sign with SF or NY... play a few seasons there and then go into the HOF as a Giant or Yankee!

If he went to SF I would kick him to the curb & root against him. (all this considering he doesn't win a WS in 2018 for us). I can understand a player making a financial decision in his best interest in todays game.

Just seems like that would be a smack in the face to Dodgers fans if he went to SF.

Depends on how much he wants. 6y $210M aint cheap, and he's gonna require that and than some. Not sure how much time he has left, I hope the front office makes a calculated decision and not an emotional one like the last deal Kobe Bryant got, that was horrible.

Everyone has herniated discs they heal. I'm not too worried about it, I would give him the 6y $210M deal, it's worth it even if he's only got 2-3 years left before he's basically Tim Lincecum, letting him go would be like letting Mickey Mouse leave Walt Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    Depends on how much he wants. 6y $210M aint cheap, and he's gonna require that and than some. Not sure how much time he has left, I hope the front office makes a calculated decision and not an emotional one like the last deal Kobe Bryant got, that was horrible.

Everyone has herniated discs they heal. I'm not too worried about it, I would give him the 6y $210M deal, it's worth it even if he's only got 2-3 years left before he's basically Tim Lincecum, letting him go would be like letting Mickey Mouse leave Walt Disney.
    Adrian Gonzalez says otherwise.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Adrian Gonzalez says otherwise.
    They take about a year to recover, 80% of the population has herniated discs.

Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    They take about a year to recover, 80% of the population has herniated discs.

While I do not agree with the premise that Kershaw is done, Im gonna go ahead and raise the bull **** flag on that one.
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 11-04-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    [/b]

While I do not agree with the premise that Kershaw is done, Im gonna go ahead and raise the bull **** flag on that one.
    well i hear 75% of all statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
    well i hear 75% of all statistics are made up.
    I heard 100% of the remaining 25% is 50% true... more or less.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    [/b]

Can you provide a reference that states otherwise? Do you think it's more or less than 80%? I was doing some reading a few years ago when I injured my back that they are extremely common, and my doctor wouldn't even take an MRI because the discs heal anyway.
    Last edited by USCFOOTBALL; 11-05-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast