Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018

Itís been pretty negative here lately and rightfully so. We are playing like crap.

But I think itís a decent time to reflect on some of the good things this year.

Itís a shame clark got hurt (but it doesnít sound too serious) because heís taken that year two jump. Heís a beast against the run and looks like a guy you can plug on the nose for try next 7-10 years and have a consistently decent run defense.

Blake Martinez is making the jump too. I donít know that heíll ever be a pro bowl type guy. But heís looking like a solid ILB, which would make him the best ILB weíve had in a long time.

Adams looks like a stud at wr. Obvisously heíll need to be resigned, but heís a guy who can seamlessly take over as a go to target for Rodgers.

Both jones and king have shown flashes as rookies. Not sure either one will be a stud either, but both look like decent guys down the road. Hopefully they can both make the jump next year too. And even Randall hasnít played that poorly lately. If we could find a way to find a stud corner so king and Randall can be the 2/3, I think we would actually have a good secondary. Or finding a stud pass rusher would make either one look better too.

Our stable of RBs looks as good as its been in awhile too. As long as he stays outta legal trouble, I think jones is a very good runner. By monty and Williams are both pretty decent too. As long as we can consistently have two of them healthy, I think our Rb situation should look good for awhile. They are all pretty well rounded, and hopefully each one continues to improve their pass blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Itís been pretty negative here lately and rightfully so. We are playing like crap.

But I think itís a decent time to reflect on some of the good things this year.

Itís a shame clark got hurt (but it doesnít sound too serious) because heís taken that year two jump. Heís a beast against the run and looks like a guy you can plug on the nose for try next 7-10 years and have a consistently decent run defense.

Blake Martinez is making the jump too. I donít know that heíll ever be a pro bowl type guy. But heís looking like a solid ILB, which would make him the best ILB weíve had in a long time.

Adams looks like a stud at wr. Obvisously heíll need to be resigned, but heís a guy who can seamlessly take over as a go to target for Rodgers.

Both jones and king have shown flashes as rookies. Not sure either one will be a stud either, but both look like decent guys down the road. Hopefully they can both make the jump next year too. And even Randall hasnít played that poorly lately. If we could find a way to find a stud corner so king and Randall can be the 2/3, I think we would actually have a good secondary. Or finding a stud pass rusher would make either one look better too.

Our stable of RBs looks as good as its been in awhile too. As long as he stays outta legal trouble, I think jones is a very good runner. By monty and Williams are both pretty decent too. As long as we can consistently have two of them healthy, I think our Rb situation should look good for awhile. They are all pretty well rounded, and hopefully each one continues to improve their pass blocking.
    Very happy about Clark and Martinez. They have been very good at what they've been asked to do. And i think they can even make another jump. Martinez hopefully can become a 3 down ILB. His coverage capabilities are definitely there. And clark can hopefully become more a bull rush threat/interior pass rush.

Also with Adams. He is on the verge of becoming a very legit WR. We all thought his ceiling was solid reliable #2. But he is becoming more than just that. The guy is unreal at catching passes in traffic.

Completely agree with King and Jones. Pretty tough to tell what they will be. King looks the part. He has very good mechanics and has shown the ability to stay with guys on short passes. Its the over the top stuff that has stifled him a few times. But thats just part of the puzzle for a young CB. I am confident he can turn into a much better CB than what we have had.
    Jones was a beast vs the Bengals. Idk. I haven't noticed his snap counts and what not. He's been a non factor most of this season tho. I don't mean to knock him, cause i am very high on him, and he hasn't played bad. We just gotta find a real spot for him in the defense. If he's the nitro package hybrid guy, then let him be that.
    Arizona has Buchannon. But they also have Branch baker honey badger and bethea. They have dedicated Buchannon to strictly be that hybrid guy. If we want jones to be that, then we gotta let him learn that role completely.
    And for Randall. Small bounce back year so far. Him becoming a reliable slot cb would be a win at this point.

Finally our rbs. Have to like how Jones has looked. But the sample size is still minuscule. Sucks he got hurt. We would've found more certainty if we was able to completely break out for a 1,000 yard season or something. Williams too. Has looked solid but sample size still nothing.
    Monty isn't an rb. He still has a role in our offense. But it ain't work load rb. We should donate his abilities to the chris Thompson role. Passing down back who can take advantage of mismatches.

My point with rbs is, if a guy like McCoy becomes available via trade? We gotta consider it. Also Carlos Hyde is a free agent. Maybe consider that too idk.
    Maybe im being impulsive with it, but i don't think by any means our run game is solidified now just cause Jones and Williams have looked good at times.
    Last edited by Sdh09e44; 11-23-2017 at 06:55 PM.

To me, Iíd rather spend the resources on wr, te, OL or defense well before trading for or signing someone like McCoy or Hyde. I get not wanting Monty to be an every down feature back. He has an injury history thatís concerning, so he canít be the only guy. But when heís in the game, heís not just some pass catching back like a Danny woodhead. He can legit run between the tackles with power. He has pretty decent vision and is shifty in the hole. I truly think the only reason people think he should be a 3rd down type back is because heís number 88. If we didnít know who he was and he was number 28, I donít think anyone would look at his style and say heís only a 3ed down guy.

And maybe Iím more optimistic, but I saw enough from jones to think he can be relied upon to be a very good back. His vision is fantastic. He had a cutback run a few weeks back where he perfectly pressed the hole and hit the cutback at the exact last second, which prevented the linebackers from making the play. It was a great run, with great timing and vision. I saw a lot of jones finding small holes and squirting through. He ran with more power than I anticipated due to his size. But itís partially because heís quick and shifty and guys fall back on their heels some.

To me, I would get the sentiment that we should look for another guy if we only had one of them. But we have 3 semi legit running backs. The chances of all of them all of a sudden regressing next year is really slim. The 3 headed monster of those guys is more than adequate for me. Running back is probably one of the last positions Iím looking to upgrade next season, assuming nothing major happens with a long jones suspension or anything like that.

Honestly, if you told me to rank the position groups based upon need next year, RB is probably last for me. I could see an argument for safety, but with Burnett as a free agent and jones a hybrid LB/S type, safety would rank at a higher importance than RB. And backup QB is probably above RB as well, unless Hundley magically changes in the last few weeks.

Jones might be the most interesting guy to watch with a potential coordinator switch. I actually really like Burnett as a safety. Heís unspectacular but reliable. I would like to see him back assuming heís not trying to break the bank. Then it will be interesting to see what we do with the defense. If we were to switch to a 4-3, thereís probably an argument that he could legit play OLB like buchannon or Barron. But if we stay 3-4, itíll be interesting to see how heís used. Even in a 4-3 he might be interesting. He seems like a good football player, so Iím sure whoever the coordinator is will find a spot for him, but heíll be interesting to watch.

As for king. Iím optimistic with him. But it would be really nice to bring in a true number 1. And then king can be the number 2. King has the tools to be a stud, but heís always seemed more like a number 2 to me

Seeing more and more articles and talking heads talking about Clay Matthews future. Is he a Packer in 2018 or cut to save almost 11mil?

Probably depends on a couple factors. First off, defensive coordinator will play a big part in that (I actually think clay may function well in a 4-3 as a backer). Probably depends on gm too. Ted dipped into FA more than he has in the past last season, but he has rarely shown that heís willing to dip into the top end of free agents. So that being said, I donít think anyone here will argue the clay is worth the money heís owed, but he still is probably the best starting option. So if ted is still the gm and he isnít willing to find a viable replacement in FA, itís probably hard to cut clay, since heís still our best option to start at one OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    To me, Iíd rather spend the resources on wr, te, OL or defense well before trading for or signing someone like McCoy or Hyde. I get not wanting Monty to be an every down feature back. He has an injury history thatís concerning, so he canít be the only guy. But when heís in the game, heís not just some pass catching back like a Danny woodhead. He can legit run between the tackles with power. He has pretty decent vision and is shifty in the hole. I truly think the only reason people think he should be a 3rd down type back is because heís number 88. If we didnít know who he was and he was number 28, I donít think anyone would look at his style and say heís only a 3ed down guy.

And maybe Iím more optimistic, but I saw enough from jones to think he can be relied upon to be a very good back. His vision is fantastic. He had a cutback run a few weeks back where he perfectly pressed the hole and hit the cutback at the exact last second, which prevented the linebackers from making the play. It was a great run, with great timing and vision. I saw a lot of jones finding small holes and squirting through. He ran with more power than I anticipated due to his size. But itís partially because heís quick and shifty and guys fall back on their heels some.

To me, I would get the sentiment that we should look for another guy if we only had one of them. But we have 3 semi legit running backs. The chances of all of them all of a sudden regressing next year is really slim. The 3 headed monster of those guys is more than adequate for me. Running back is probably one of the last positions Iím looking to upgrade next season, assuming nothing major happens with a long jones suspension or anything like that.
    Oh for sure. The topic of RB was there so i suggested those things. I agree that id rather see a WR or TE, and an OL guy. I am hoping Evans wants to play 1 more year and we can groom McCray some more. Cutting Bulaga is probably stupid. Keep him for 2018 atleast, then also gotta see if Spriggs or Murphy are anything. So for me its Evans and the same group as this year plus obligatory mid round guy, or replacement to evans and "........."

We should maybe sign Jimmy Graham. Tyler Eifert is a FA foo. Too injured imo. If we signed Graham, that would be amazing.
    If not, i would hope they look at a guy like Martavis Bryant or Sammy Watkins. I know we gotta ink Davante but we will have money to add one if these other guys. This is the year we NEED to start making moves. For real...i say those exact words every offseason. But its for real this time.
    Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, Terrelle all FAs too.
    Or my mastermind trade for Aj Green. Two years left on his deal at 13.7 and 15.1. The Bengals are pretty damn far from competing for a SB. Marvin Lewis era is surely done and im sure Green would definitely love to move on. They would move him for the right price.

Ur saying we gotta get a true #1 Cb. Who are you thinking? Butler and Trumaine Johnson are gonna be free agents. Thats really it. We could trade for someone idk. Maybe a vet like Talib will get cut.

Long way away. Just hope we do one decently big move this offseason. Te wr or CB. Please give me one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    I am certainly not giving up on this year, but a look ahead is always nice.
    Moves before June 1st
    Cut or trade Cobb cap space is 12.75mil if traded or 9.5 mil if cut
    Cut or trade Mathews save 11.4 mil either way
    Hope Bennett retires save 8.55 mil

Sign Adams 5 yr 52mil
    Sign Burnett 3 yr 12mil
    Sign Linsley 3 yr 10 mil
    Sign Rodgers 1yr 3 mil

FREE AGENCY
    Jimmy Graham, I think the pack could get him cheap and he needs a pass first team.
    Jarvis Landry, he will be expensive, but his young talent with Adams could be awesome for a long time.

PLUS the Packers still should have plenty of cap space for ???

What do you think?

I just noticed on over the cap that we have 43 mil in space for 2018?

What changed? I originally thought we had 28, but without Bennetts money that it jumped up to 36.

Wait i just realized. Ok so all of his money came off the books. Not just the 8 for 2018. The 8 for 2019 also came off.

28+16= 44.....

I rounded all of this obviously.

But either way, wow. We have a crap ton of space to work with.

Adams Linsley and Burnett can get done and we can still probably have around 25 to work with.

And this is all before a potential Matthews or cobb restructure.

I think Mathews and Cobb have to restructure or they will be salary cap casualties. You cant pay a guy like Clay 12 million for 3-4 sacks.

Depending what style defense we play (3-4 or 4-3), it might be a tough offseason for pass rushers. I think thereís some better 4-3 ends available (will depend on franchise tags), but I think itís pretty weak in the 3-4 olb market. So as frustrating as clay is, Iím not sure thereís an obvious upgrade available. And Iím all for drafting a guy to replace him, but Iím not sure we want to put complete trust in a rookie, even if we do end up with a high pick.

Iím all for restructuring. But if we stay 3-4, even if that means someone other than capers, it might be tough to straight release him.

Maybe someone unexpected will get released, but itís not a great olb market.

id rather move on from clay and ty tbh. Neither can stay healthy.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast