Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rest of the season predictions

Since the Saints have given us what looks to be a good season, we can use this thread to give our predictions.

I see them finishing 11-5 with the Rams, Bills, and division opponents testing them. I think that's good enough to win the South, but not get a bye. I think they earn the 4 seed. That means hosting the Seahawks or Rams. That would be a tough draw.

I see:
    Eagles 13-3
    Vikings 12-4
    Seahawks 12-4
    Saints 11-5
    Rams 10-6
    Panthers 9-7

I'd love to see the Saints make a run and get the 2 seed. It's not impossible, but they will have to start playing better. Either Snead needs to get his form back or they need to find a WR to help them convert 3rd downs. Offense needs a little to get them over the hump. Defense needs more of a pass rush.

For playoff seeding, losses to AFC opponents hurt less, so the Saints tripping up against the Bills or Jets isn't as bad as losing to the Redskins, for instance. Conference win-loss record is one of the first tiebreakers.

6-2 now. Here is the schedule:

@Buffalo
    Washington
    @LA
    Carolina
    @Atlanta (Thursday)
    Jets
    Atlanta
    @Tampa Bay

The games I hate are going to Buffalo, going to LA, and going to Atlanta on a short week after playing Carolina (good news is that the Falcons play the Vikings the week before). I think the Saints can win them all. Buffalo and LA are vulnerable to the running game. LA isn't going to be cold or rainy.

The games I love are the home games. Washington is hit or miss. The Jets are better than expected, but young teams have trouble on the road plus the Saints get 10 days to prepare. Atlanta isn't sweeping the Saints. Carolina has a good defense, but I don't think they're as good as their 6-3 record says. I also love the Saints going to Tampa.

Weird fact: The Washington, LA, and Atlanta (1st one) games come after each team plays the Vikings. Maybe Minnesota softens them up.

I still see 11 wins, but I'm feeling better about it.

I standby we should go undefeated however obviously anything can happen to cause a loss here or there

I could see 4 losses and a 9-7 finish as a floor.

Undefeated finish as a ceiling finishing 14-2

Split the difference 11-5 or 12-4 seems most realistic.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

Curious to know what advantages teams like the Rams and Eagles have over us and what advantages we have over them. Anyone know?

The Rams remind me of the Cowboys last year: improved line and elite RB made them a contender. They have a better defense than Dallas, though.

The Saints and Rams share weaknesses (when you look at team stats, they're almost the same team). Both have had good pass defenses, but are vulnerable to the run. It would come down to winning the line of scrimmage, and I think the Rams have a better front 7 while the Saints have a better O-line. Cleaner play, coaching, and special teams play would make the difference.
    Last edited by iamaj; 11-12-2017 at 08:23 PM.

7-2 and red hot. Even the 2009-2013 Saints would have had a clunker by now. Don't know if they're this good or overdue.

This is what's left:
    Washington
    @LA
    Carolina
    @Atlanta (Thursday)
    Jets
    Atlanta
    @Tampa Bay

I'm starting to lean toward 12-4. I think Saints are the better team in every game that is left besides the Rams. I think both teams are equal, but the Rams get the edge with it being in LA. I also hate going to Atlanta on a short week. Health is a big variable.

Saying weird things is not unusual for me lol but I do have a weird concern here.

I've definitely been all for more defense and run game taking some pressure and reliance off Brees.

However, I think we need to get the WRs and especially the tight end involved a good bit more down this last stretch into the playoffs hopefully and then go back to the RBs heavy.

That and or try to get that other young back Edmunds more work.

Kamara is the one that has me most worried. He is taking some hard hits and getting tackled knocked around like a pin ball out there. He's tough that's for sure, but we NEED this kid, him and Ingram are obviously a dynamic duo. I think yall see where I'm going here. No jinx! Fingers crossed.

I just think we may want to ease up a bit on Ingram and Kamara we will leave it at that lulz.

Not a complaint at all. I love what we are doing just don't want to overdo it. Don't want to get overzealous here.

I'd be OK with finishing the season game plans like this

Airing it out this next game at home versus the Redskins.
    Most importantly I definitely want us to pass here. That was a lot of work against Bills. The score made it look easy but it was a lot of wear put on the tires in this one.

Going run heavy again verse Rams because 1. I think we have too in order to win and 2. It's a statement game and test against a potential playoff contender/opponent.

Air it out verse Panthers and Falcons first time.

Air it out verse Jets

Depending on what we need here verse Falcons second time in terms of wins and losses we act accordingly

And get a final tune up hopefully before playoffs verse Bucs D with the run game just to keep it crisp but take it easy if we don't need the game for anything like home field etc.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iamaj:31978339
    The Rams remind me of the Cowboys last year: improved line and elite RB made them a contender. They have a better defense than Dallas, though.

The Saints and Rams share weaknesses (when you look at team stats, they're almost the same team). Both have had good pass defenses, but are vulnerable to the run. It would come down to winning the line of scrimmage, and I think the Rams have a better front 7 while the Saints have a better O-line. Cleaner play, coaching, and special teams play would make the difference.
    I have to agree 100% only adding that I'd say our QB is just a tad lol more experienced seasoned and better overall.

Of course Rams and Eagles fans would disagree siding with the potential/youth of Goff and Wentz but Brees is a HOF QB end of discussion. I think if Brees can win one more Superbowl he will get the proper respect on his name he deserves. I could say a lot about Brees he has had some downs and I thought at times it was time to move on. Yes he has declined, it's evident, but the guy just needed a run game and some defense. We'd be hard pressed to say the least to find a better replacement that's for sure.

I'd hate to see Brees leave I'd love to see him at least one more season, but if we do part ways after this season. I think a mobile QB is what we need to go with. Especially with this run game and defense. Anyway that's another topic for later.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

Brees isn't going to let the pressure of the playoffs get to him. That's a big advantage. He has been there and done that.

I feel you on the RBs. Right now, Ingram is averaging almost 20 touches a game while Kamara is getting around 12. I'm fine with them getting rest later in the season. Edmunds could use some reps. He struggled a lot, but showed flashes.

The line is the biggest area of concern. Even if he can come off IR, I think Strief should be a back up unless Ram hits the wall.

The WRs and TEs bum me out, too. Thomas is great, but it's just him. Ginn has good plays every now and again, but they need another WR to step up. Snead isn't showing it. Coleman is inconsistent. Lewis is similar to Ginn, so not much there. I'm waiting for Carr to get a shot. Put him in the slot and see what happens. As for TEs, Hoo-Man blocks as does Hill, so I'm satisfied. Fleener is a sunk cost. He'll make a good play once every few games to give you hope, but I'm done with falling into the trap.

What Bill Barnwell (stats guy at ESPN) said about the Saints:

"One of the strange ironies of this bizarre 2017 season is that the Saints look like one of the best teams in the league in a year in which*Drew Brees*is shouldering less of the workload than ever before. New Orleans scored 47 points during Sunday's*blowout win in Buffalo, and Brees threw for just 184 yards without any passing touchdowns, instead chipping in with an almost sheepish scramble for a score. In each of the Saints' two 40-plus point outbursts against the Bills and Lions, Brees has failed to make it to 200 yards passing.

The Saints have certainly been more balanced, and while some of that is by virtue of running to eat up the clock while ahead in the fourth quarter, New Orleans has also genuinely run the ball more frequently in closer situations. My favorite measure of what a team wants to do on offense is looking at its run-pass choices on first-and-10 while the game is within 14 points. Over the previous three seasons, the Saints ran the ball 46.4 percent of the time on those first-and-10 plays, which was 30th in the league in run percentage. This year, though, the Saints are at 54.8 percent, which is 13th. Their first-half run percentage is up from 36.8 percent to 42.8 percent. It's not solely the six-minute drill.

When Brees does throw, the Saints are making it as easy as possible. The future Hall of Famer is being pressured on just 16.2 percent of his dropbacks, the lowest rate of his career. On Sunday, the Bills bothered him only 11.5 percent of the time, with Brees routinely having time to cycle through his reads and scramble before finding an open receiver.

The Saints' receivers also are bearing a heavier portion of the New Orleans passing workload than ever before. With*Brandin Cooks*traded and*Willie Sneadanonymous, the Saints have redirected targets to*Alvin Kamara*and used*Ted Ginn*on shorter routes than the burner would typically see. The result has been shorter throws and more yards after catch. Before 2017, Brees' typical pass traveled about 2.7 yards more in the air than it did once the receiver caught it, which is reasonably common. This season, though, his receivers are averaging*more*yards per catch than he is generating through the air.

No other quarterback is getting more YAC than air yards per pass, and the closest passer is Cousins, who is nearly seven-tenths of a yard ahead of his yards after catch.

In light of their*stunning new defenseand success running the ball, it seems tempting to suggest that this is a version of the Saints that is more likely to win in January. I'm not sure that's true, given that we're coming off a postseason in which the pass-happy, defense-light Falcons and Patriots competed in the Super Bowl.

I would instead argue that this is the most complete Saints team since the 13-3 Saints of 2011, who fell in an*instant classic to the 49ers in Candlestick Park. They could still slip -- New Orleans still has home-and-home matchups with the Falcons after hosting the Panthers in Week 13 -- but the Saints have a much better shot of coming away with home-field advantage throughout the playoffs (23.4 percent) than they do of missing the postseason altogether (5.2 percent)."

Panthers need to just stop winning dammit. It's so hard to win this division lately.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

Based on DVOA odds, the Saints are a 12-4 team with a 95.6% chance at the playoffs and a 45.4% chance of a bye.

They have the playoffs as:
    #6 Seahawks at #3 Rams
    #5 Panthers at #4 Vikings

I think the Vikings would beat the Panthers, and I like the Rams over the Seahawks (dealing with a lot of injuries). That would leave:

#3 Rams at #2 Saints
    #4 Vikings at #1 Eagles

Those would be some interesting games. In another forum a few weeks ago, I said I could see Saints at Eagles for the NFC Championship. If the Saints stay healthy and keep a solid defense, they will be hard to beat.

8-2 by the skin of their teeth, but they made it! Here's what's left.

@LA (7-3)
    Carolina (7-3)
    @Atlanta (6-4) (Thursday)
    Jets (4-6)
    Atlanta (6-4)
    @Tampa Bay (4-6)

I see them going 11-5 and still winning the South, but it won't be easy. I am little more bearish on the Saints. Injuries are piling up, and I did not love Payton's playcalling yesterday. I think he gave up on the run too quick. When Washington killed the screen game, I think Payton also figured the run wouldn't work.

The pivotal stretch (in terms of playoff seeding) is coming up. The Rams will be pissed off and look to send a message. The Panthers have an elite defense, and their offense is finally figuring it out. Atlanta, in Atlanta, on a short week after being in a slugfest against the Panthers is a real test.

I think the Saints at full health can beat anyone, but they are down Breaux, Okafor, and Strief. Lattimore, Vaccaro, and Klein are banged up. The Saints do not have the depth on defense to weather all this. Ingram rarely plays all 16, but maybe Kamara can lighten the load. Even if it means losing some games down the stretch, they need to focus on health.
    Last edited by iamaj; 11-22-2017 at 12:18 AM.

If the Saints don't have a shot at a bye but have the division or a wild card secured, I rest Brees, MI6, AK47, and limit snaps for the O-line in that last game in Tampa.

Down the line I would like to see Edmonds or Williams get some snaps. It helps them get ready and eases the burden on the starters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast