Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    What doesn't make sense is you compare what Buffalo will do, because of the formula other teams have used.
    Plus, in your mind, you already have Mahomes a superstar. I don't. Alex Smith is old. Injury risk is a concern as well now. So for them to draft a QB made sense. In the Bills situation. Tyrod is better than you give him credit for. I know it, and thankfully the coaches do to, which is why he is here. There is no reason to waste a pick on Mahomes, when you have Tyrod and their plan was to always pick Peterman. Gruden said it as well. He knew Peterman was going to be picked by the Bills. The Bills called Gruden and talked to him about Peterman before the draft. That was their plan. Peterman is the guy they want for the future. Which is why, there will be no QB drafted as long as Tyrod is on this team.

As I said, one of two things will happen. We keep Tyrod. We do not waste a pick on a QB and instead sign a free agent journeyman like Yates and have that QB and Peterman fight for scraps during practice and play behind Tyrod.

Or, The Bills dump Tyrod. Peterman will then be our starter. We will then still sign a journeyman QB to be a back up, but then only in this situation, will the Bills use a pick on a QB, to be our 3rd string clip board holding QB.

But I will bet you any amount of money through paypal right now, that if Tyrod stays, there will absolutely be no QB drafted next year. This regime isn't stupid as Whaley was. To waste a pick, when this team has several glaring needs. This team wont start Tyrod, and then have Peterman and a rookie take over the team incase of injury. They will have a veteran presence on the team behind Tyrod, not two rookie QB's. Its foolish to assume otherwise.
    It has nothing to do with how good or bad Mahommes is. No one even knows.

It has nothing to do with how good Tyrod is either.

It’s smart management. The best teams in the league do it because they know how valuable QBs are. Have the Patriots been wasting picks? What about the Packers? This regime will be just as stupid as previous ones if they don’t start drafting QBs.

Your thinking has been the Bills problem for over two decades. Whatever you say though. You always know what’s best.

What doesn't make sense is you compare what Buffalo will do, because of the formula other teams have used.
    Plus, in your mind, you already have Mahomes a superstar. I don't. Alex Smith is old. Injury risk is a concern as well now. So for them to draft a QB made sense. In the Bills situation. Tyrod is better than you give him credit for. I know it, and thankfully the coaches do to, which is why he is here. There is no reason to waste a pick on Mahomes, when you have Tyrod and their plan was to always pick Peterman. Gruden said it as well. He knew Peterman was going to be picked by the Bills. The Bills called Gruden and talked to him about Peterman before the draft. That was their plan. Peterman is the guy they want for the future. Which is why, there will be no QB drafted as long as Tyrod is on this team.

As I said, one of two things will happen. We keep Tyrod. We do not waste a pick on a QB and instead sign a free agent journeyman like Yates and have that QB and Peterman fight for scraps during practice and play behind Tyrod.

Or, The Bills dump Tyrod. Peterman will then be our starter. We will then still sign a journeyman QB to be a back up, but then only in this situation, will the Bills use a pick on a QB, to be our 3rd string clip board holding QB.

But I will bet you any amount of money through paypal right now, that if Tyrod stays, there will absolutely be no QB drafted next year. This regime isn't stupid as Whaley was. To waste a pick, when this team has several glaring needs. This team wont start Tyrod, and then have Peterman and a rookie take over the team incase of injury. They will have a veteran presence on the team behind Tyrod, not two rookie QB's. Its foolish to assume otherwise.
    This whole rant is what he is exactly what Smood is talking about.

Again, both of you are missing the point. McDermott and Bean like Tyrod. They also drafted Peterman. This team has several holes up and down the roster. They will not waste a pick next year on a QB, if Tyrod is on this team. It simply will not happen. All these extra picks we have will fill holes for capable able body players who can play. Not a clipboard holding 3rd stringer. Ill definitely remember this thread at next years draft.

Again, both of you are missing the point. McDermott and Bean like Tyrod. They also drafted Peterman. This team has several holes up and down the roster. They will not waste a pick next year on a QB, if Tyrod is on this team. It simply will not happen. All these extra picks we have will fill holes for capable able body players who can play. Not a clipboard holding 3rd stringer. Ill definitely remember this thread at next years draft.
    I'm pretty sure we understand what you mean. You're not understanding that it is our opinion that it's foolish to let another QB stop you from drafting another QB, when good teams still draft QBs despite having great QBs in their prime. We're not predicting anything, so I'm not sure what you're going to look back on. We are saying it will be bad move if they don't draft a QB.

Also, if they were that sold on Tyrod, don't you think they would've given him more security than a two year contract with an out clause after the first year? Their opinions may have changed, but good teams still don't let having a QB deter them from drafting another.

For example, in the last three years, the Patriots have traded Mallett, Brissett, and Garoppolo. All three were early round picks between 2011-2016. Did the Patriots waste picks all those years? In that same time span, EJ Manuel was the only early round QB the Bills drafted. There's a problem there. If Tom Brady isn't good enough to stop the Patriots from drafting a QB, neither is Taylor or any QB the Bills have ever had.

Wolf’s most notable stamp on modern scouting is his view on quarterbacks: While there’s only room for one starter, you can never acquire too many. In Wolf’s world, it is worthwhile to draft a QB every year, no matter the current roster situation. “Looking now from afar, the best quarterback in the game is a sixth-round draft choice [Tom Brady], and that should alert everybody,” Wolf says. “Then you look at what the Cowboys have accomplished with a fourth-round draft choice. I mean, it tells you what you should do. Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.”
    https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/07/n...ie-john-dorsey

I guess you know more than an all time great general manager, who has built championship teams and who is the root of one of the best front office trees in the league. But hey, what does he or organizations like the Patriots know?
    Last edited by smood999; 11-07-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Yeah sabers... You're probably right tbh. What we're saying is that we disagree with that method and explaining why. Every discussion isn't a battle and we are far more thoughtful than 90% of the people who call into radio shows who seem to get you all fired up before you come and take it out on us.

My opinion on what we should draft is: offense. Running back, WR's, offensive line and a QB. What we'll probably see is OL, WR and a bunch of defensive players.

I worry that the second half of the season is going to bring us back down to earth. The only player that can get us into the playoffs is Taylor.

Of course its an opinion, but it is based on team needs.

If Tyrod is on this team next year, the QB position is not a team need. Peterman, and a free agent to be named later, will fill out the 3 spots on the roster. They wouldn't keep Tyrod, then have 2 rookies backing him up. If he got injured, the team would most likely be screwed.

If Tyrod gets released, then the QB position becomes a team need. Peterman and a free agent would be 1 and 2, with a drafted QB filling out the final spot.

So don't base any opinion by what the Patriots have done in the past with their back up drafted QB's. This is the Buffalo Bills.

Let us hear you take a calculated guess. Will the Bills keep Tyrod, draft a QB and have two rookies backing him up next year? does that seem like a logical decision? Or, will they dump Tyrod, sign a free agent, then draft a QB. Making either Peterman and the free agent our starter, with the drafted QB #3.

Of course its an opinion, but it is based on team needs.

If Tyrod is on this team next year, the QB position is not a team need. Peterman, and a free agent to be named later, will fill out the 3 spots on the roster. They wouldn't keep Tyrod, then have 2 rookies backing him up. If he got injured, the team would most likely be screwed.

If Tyrod gets released, then the QB position becomes a team need. Peterman and a free agent would be 1 and 2, with a drafted QB filling out the final spot.

So don't base any opinion by what the Patriots have done in the past with their back up drafted QB's. This is the Buffalo Bills.

Let us hear you take a calculated guess. Will the Bills keep Tyrod, draft a QB and have two rookies backing him up next year? does that seem like a logical decision? Or, will they dump Tyrod, sign a free agent, then draft a QB. Making either Peterman and the free agent our starter, with the drafted QB #3.
    I don’t know what their philosophy is and have nothing to base it on. Yes, I think it’s smart to draft a QB. Peterman is being developed as a backup. He’s not a guy that was viewed as a starter coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    I don’t know what their philosophy is and have nothing to base it on. Yes, I think it’s smart to draft a QB. Peterman is being developed as a backup. He’s not a guy that was viewed as a starter coming in.

You couldn't be more wrong. Peterman was drafted, as they see him as our potential future. Not a back up. I don't know how young you are, but in the history of the NFL, not one QB has been selected in the draft, as the GM views that QB as a back up.

You couldn't be more wrong. Peterman was drafted, as they see him as our potential future. Not a back up. I don't know how young you are, but in the history of the NFL, not one QB has been selected in the draft, as the GM views that QB as a back up.
    I'd still draft a QB.

We shall see.

If Tyrod is here next year, I simply cant see this team having two unproven players coming into a game if there is an injury.

As much as fans want it, I doubt we will ever see the Bills drafting a QB every single year until we find one. We haven't seen that in the past, so I don't know why people would think we will see that now.

Not to mention the money vs. worth side of it all. If the Bills kept Tyrod, you think we will use a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick on a QB, and pay that person 1st, 2nd or 3rd round money, to sit behind Peterman on the depth chart? Or do you think that unnamed player, who we don't know who is, immediately passes Peterman.

Or would they just repeat what they did last year and draft a QB anywhere between rounds 4-6. Then if they do that, what is that player worth to the coach and GM? You think they are then going to be that arrogant trying to convince the fan base and owners that in their first two seasons running a team, they found two studs in the latter rounds of the draft that are capable of leading this team? For where we will be drafting next year, I cant see any of this happening.

History has taught us that coaches and GM's in Buffalo, no matter what sport it is, have a 2-3 yr window to succeed. McDermott and Bean will not be wasting a year away in order to rebuild. They are going to want to compete every year. You just don't see teams competing every year, by having 2 rookie QB's on the roster.

Plus now, the coaches margin of error just got smaller this year. They went from 5-2, to 5-4, and who knows how far the collapse will go. The Pegula's will always think they can hire someone better. And the marketing pitch of "trust the process", wont help McDermott or Bean keep their job if we miss the playoff this year and next. So with the urgency they need to have, they will absolutely not have the luxury of drafting another QB and waiting around for that player to develop.

Please research Peterman. 99% of the projections prior to the draft was as a backup QB. He was drafted in the 5th round for a reason. How many day 3 picks do you know have the expectations of being a starter, regardless of position? Those are typically depth players and if they become a starter, it's a bonus.

They didn't draft Peterman to be the Bills future long term back up. Watch the interview with Peterman and John Gruden and listen to what Gruden says about the 10 conversations he had with McDermott about Peterman prior to the draft. McDermott feels they got a Tom Brady like steal in the draft, and he might be right. His time is just not now.

Post Tyrod, Peterman will be the starting QB of this team. I guarantee that.

His time might even come next season and I am looking forward to seeing Peterman play, just not this year. This year, under the right play calling, and with this horrendous offensive line, Tyrod needs to remain the QB. Peterman will be destroyed by this terrible offensive line and that could shell shock him for the future. Most of you guys truly do not realize how horrible this line is at protection. Anyone with a football brain could see that the beating Tyrod has taken, even though he has alluded a lot of hits, has damaged his psychy.

This horrendous offensive line has also effected the play calling, but you guys don't see this either. As I said in the New Orleans game, in the first half, when the game was still salvageable, Dennison calls three 3rd down plays that our WR's didn't even run past the first down marker. All Hooks coming back to the line of scrimmage, hoping our WR's will then be free and quick enough to run past the defense. This was done because Dennison knew Tyrod wouldn't have that much time to throw. So he ran our WR's straight to the line, then had them all run back 5-yards, which is the quickest route to run based on the protection. When that didn't work, on 3rd and 15, the Bills run a draw, hoping to catch them off guard. Running a draw on 3rd and 15 isn't on Tyrod. It is on the coaches, who are calling stupid plays, based on how poorly this line has played. When only a 4 man rush against the Jets, leads to 7 sacks, adding in the constant pressure a 4 man rush gave us against the Saints, we definitely do not want Peterman in their getting destroyed.
    Last edited by sabres11; 11-14-2017 at 09:25 AM.

I'd still draft a QB.

Sabres -- I don't think there's ever been a player in the history of the NFL that was drafted in the late rounds that was expected to be a starter. If that's what you think, that's what you think, but it's unrealistic expectations for a player drafted in that range. I think you're confusing Gruden's opinion with what his actual projection was and is.

Gruden's opinion has never been the final say. For what it's worth, he loved EJ Manuel as well and I can bring up those articles if you'd like me to. If you watch that show, please tell me the last time he was negative towards a QB...it's never happened. Peterman's draft range says everything about how NFL teams viewed him. The Seahawks wouldn't even tell you they drafted Wilson to be a starter and that was in the 3rd round, let alone 5th.

I can't believe they're giving Peterman the green light to start. At least the chargers d is weak but damn. I'd argue the only reason we have 5 wins is because of tyrod and his feet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast