Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trade Deadline

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I can't believe they're giving Peterman the green light to start. At least the chargers d is weak but damn. I'd argue the only reason we have 5 wins is because of tyrod and his feet.
    The plan from the beginning seemed to always be go after a QB in the draft. This is just further evidence, if Tyrod's contract wasn't evident enough.

This move does two things:

1) Will either reinforce the need for a QB

2) If they miss the playoffs, they won't barely miss and have a pick near 20. With Tyrod, that may have been the case.

Iím not sure I understand #2. Are you suggesting McDermott is tanking for a better pick in the draft next year?

If thatís what McDermott is thinking, he needs to be fired ASAP. You donít forgo the final playoff spot this late in the season, for a possible draft spot. If thatís the case he would put Webb in at QB.

Nothing suggests the Bills are going after a QB next year, from what they have done since coming aboard. If they wanted to go that route, they would have cut Tyrod in the off season then went into the season with Yates and Peterman.

Now that Tyrod will be gone In 2018, they will probably take another flier on a QB next year, but I donít think this was always their intention.

They know they are first year coach and GM. They know coaches in Buffalo do not last to long here and that we have a win now mentality. Unless the Bills had the very first pick in the draft, or at least the opportunity to draft the very first QB in the draft, they wonít bother drafting a QB until mid draft.

They have to have the mindset that if they donít compete in two seasons here, they are fired. So why waste another pick on a QB if thereís a better than 50/50 chance that they will be fired well before the player has a chance to even play. Not to mention if they did take a chance on picking the second QB for the team and he sucked, that would just put quicker nails into their coffin. Especially since they would only get to see next years QB play, if Peterman isnít as good as they thought. And since they just benched the starter for Peterman, when we hold the last playoff spot, I doubt we will see a QB picked until 4th or 5th round.
    Last edited by sabres11; 11-15-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Iím not sure I understand #2. Are you suggesting McDermott is tanking for a better pick in the draft next year?

If thatís what McDermott is thinking, he needs to be fired ASAP. You donít forgo the final playoff spot this late in the season, for a possible draft spot. If thatís the case he would put Webb in at QB.

Nothing suggests the Bills are going after a QB next year, from what they have done since coming aboard. If they wanted to go that route, they would have cut Tyrod in the off season then went into the season with Yates and Peterman.

Now that Tyrod will be gone In 2018, they will probably take another flier on a QB next year, but I donít think this was always their intention.

They know they are first year coach and GM. They know coaches in Buffalo do not last to long here and that we have a win now mentality. Unless the Bills had the very first pick in the draft, or at least the opportunity to draft the very first QB in the draft, they wonít bother drafting a QB until mid draft.

They have to have the mindset that if they donít compete in two seasons here, they are fired. So why waste another pick on a QB if thereís a better than 50/50 chance that they will be fired well before the player has a chance to even play. Not to mention if they did take a chance on picking the second QB for the team and he sucked, that would just put quicker nails into their coffin. Especially since they would only get to see next years QB play, if Peterman isnít as good as they thought. And since they just benched the starter for Peterman, when we hold the last playoff spot, I doubt we will see a QB picked until 4th or 5th round.
    Absolutely not. It's way too late for that. I'm saying if they have doubts about Tyrod, which they obviously do, they probably don't want to stick with him to miss the playoffs by a game or two. Instead, they are going high risk/high reward. They either win with Peterson or they will be terrible. I have a hard time seeing an in between point with him.

Tyrod's contract said it all, as did all of the moves they've made since McDermott/Beane took over. Teams don't typically accumulate that many assets and not use it on a QB, the most valuable position in the league. Usually one of those many picks are spent on a QB or those picks are used to trade up for one.

You have to try to look at this from a different angle. You clearly disagree with the philosophy, but just last week you were saying Tyrod was their guy...now look. QB's run the NFL and it's simply not good enough to just have a good one. Great QBs win or QBs that have great stretches in the playoffs (Flacco) wins. Anything less than that won't cut it. The game has changed and it's time you realized that not much else matters until that position is filled.
    Last edited by smood999; 11-16-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    Absolutely not. It's way too late for that. I'm saying if they have doubts about Tyrod, which they obviously do, they probably don't want to stick with him to miss the playoffs by a game or two. Instead, they are going high risk/high reward. They either win with Peterson or they will be terrible. I have a hard time seeing an in between point with him.

Tyrod's contract said it all, as did all of the moves they've made since McDermott/Beane took over. Teams don't typically accumulate that many assets and not use it on a QB, the most valuable position in the league. Usually one of those many picks are spent on a QB or those picks are used to trade up for one.

You have to try to look at this from a different angle. You clearly disagree with the philosophy, but just last week you were saying Tyrod was their guy...now look. QB's run the NFL and it's simply not good enough to just have a good one. Great QBs win or QBs that have great stretches in the playoffs (Flacco) wins. Anything less than that won't cut it. The game has changed and it's time you realized that not much else matters until that position is filled.
    I just think the philosophy of the coach should be, when you hold the final playoff spot, you make changes in the areas that cost you football games. Tyrod did not lose those four games. As I said, he only threw 5 passes in the 2nd half of the Saints game. The coaches didn't even try to win that game, as they saw that it didn't matter, our defense was not ever going to stop them. So based on that, pulling the QB isn't a football decision that helps the organization.

Unless you are tanking to get the first, 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft, the Bills are better off trying to hold on to that last playoff spot with the guy who got them there, even if they do come up a game or two short and end up picking 20th in the draft. Rather than putting Peterman in their to play 3 really hard games. Then as a result missing the playoffs completely, and then picking 13th. By the end of next week, with a win or loss, we can either be tied for the final playoff spot, or up by two. Just remember the pre season. Yates was the back up. Peterman played in the 4th qtr against scabs who were eventually cut or designated to the 3rd and 4th string defense. Now making him a starter, telling fans that they see him as a better chance for us to win is hard to believe, based on how they groomed him in the pre season.

There is no middle ground here for McDermott to land on. He will either be celebrated as the best coach ever, for making such a bold move if this works out. Or, his NFL career could be over before it even starts.

We are 1 of 6 teams in the AFC with a winning record. Tyrod got us here with the wins and he was not responsible for our last two losses. Peterman would have lost these past two games as well. If anyone here thinks Peterman would have beaten the Jets or Saints, your 100% crazy. These past two games did not come down to the QB failing. Again, I understand this move if Tyrod threw 10 INTs the past 2 games and couldn't complete a pass. This was not the case. We just watched our defense give up 500 yards rushing and 9 rushing TDs in the last two games.
    Last edited by sabres11; 11-17-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    I just think the philosophy of the coach should be, when you hold the final playoff spot, you make changes in the areas that cost you football games. Tyrod did not lose those four games. As I said, he only threw 5 passes in the 2nd half of the Saints game. The coaches didn't even try to win that game, as they saw that it didn't matter, our defense was not ever going to stop them. So based on that, pulling the QB isn't a football decision that helps the organization.

Unless you are tanking to get the first, 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft, the Bills are better off trying to hold on to that last playoff spot with the guy who got them there, even if they do come up a game or two short and end up picking 20th in the draft. Rather than putting Peterman in their to play 3 really hard games. Then as a result missing the playoffs completely, and then picking 13th. By the end of next week, with a win or loss, we can either be tied for the final playoff spot, or up by two. Just remember the pre season. Yates was the back up. Peterman played in the 4th qtr against scabs who were eventually cut or designated to the 3rd and 4th string defense. Now making him a starter, telling fans that they see him as a better chance for us to win is hard to believe, based on how they groomed him in the pre season.

There is no middle ground here for McDermott to land on. He will either be celebrated as the best coach ever, for making such a bold move if this works out. Or, his NFL career could be over before it even starts.

We are 1 of 6 teams in the AFC with a winning record. Tyrod got us here with the wins and he was not responsible for our last two losses. Peterman would have lost these past two games as well. If anyone here thinks Peterman would have beaten the Jets or Saints, your 100% crazy. These past two games did not come down to the QB failing. Again, I understand this move if Tyrod threw 10 INTs the past 2 games and couldn't complete a pass. This was not the case. We just watched our defense give up 500 yards rushing and 9 rushing TDs in the last two games.
    For once I do agree with you regarding Tyrod. I think he was absolutely set up for failure this season. However, many of us were trying to point out to you that this team is very much rebuilding.

They are going to win or lose with players that have a chance to be apart of their future to accurately gauge what this team needs moving forward. Tyrod just joined the list of all the other players that were moved this past year.

Rebuilding was obvious, being I kept pointing out to everyone at the end of last season that the Bills will have to sign 40 new fee agents to fill the roster.

But remember, I did say itís not going to be the rebuild we are use to. I said McDermott and Bean will be trying to compete since day 1. That they are building a team to win now, as well as getting assets for the future. As I said repeatedly, the life expectancy of a coach is a couple years now. McDermott and Bean needed to make an impact asap because they wouldnít be around to coach to even see some of their players pan out in another two years. Thatís why I said many times, if Tyrod and McCoy are on this team after pre season, they are going for it and not rebuilding.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123