Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Watching videos of Garoppolo what jumps out at me is his quick release and accuracy in the short/mid range. Only question I have is his deep ball accuracy. Looking at his college videos I can see it's better than Beathards (which wasn't very good).

JG's release reminds me of Phillip Rivers release. Short, compact and FAST. Sometimes the ball comes out at a low point which may produce more batted balls but overall it's a great release. Very compact so it wont give defenders a jump on the ball.

Overall it seems like he's built for a WCO. He does a good job of going through progressions, exhausting plays and can scramble behind the line when plays/blocking break down. I need to see more playing time as far as throwing into tight windows and him having the ability to command a complex offense long term. Not enough NFL tape for me to say he's going to be a great QB for 10+ years. I hope that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    Watching videos of Garoppolo what jumps out at me is his quick release and accuracy in the short/mid range. Only question I have is his deep ball accuracy. Looking at his college videos I can see it's better than Beathards (which wasn't very good).

JG's release reminds me of Phillip Rivers release. Short, compact and FAST. Sometimes the ball comes out at a low point which may produce more batted balls but overall it's a great release. Very compact so it wont give defenders a jump on the ball.

Overall it seems like he's built for a WCO. He does a good job of going through progressions, exhausting plays and can scramble behind the line when plays/blocking break down. I need to see more playing time as far as throwing into tight windows and him having the ability to command a complex offense long term. Not enough NFL tape for me to say he's going to be a great QB for 10+ years. I hope that's the case.
    Beathards deep ball was actually very good in college. His receivers on the other hand were awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Beathards deep ball was actually very good in college. His receivers on the other hand were awful.
    When I saw the stat that he was under a 30% completion rate on 20+ yard passes his last two years in college I decided to look at some full games on video. His deep ball accuracy was off in 2015 and 2016. He had better WR's in 2015 and was still floating balls too far, underthrown and many times out of bounds by a tad.

I think his strengths were more so around his anticipation, timing and willingness to exhaust plays. (Sometimes exhausting plays to a fault). I also saw him taking huge hits from not sensing pressure.

Anyway, you're not going to be able to convince me that his deep ball was good/great in college because I've seen it with my own eyes. He has the arm strength, which is good, but accuracy was off and that can be fixed. Some of it may have been from poor WR's but on many of the 20+ yard throws accuracy just wasnt there.

I really liked his overall game. Weakness that can be fixed- deep ball accuracy, sensing pressure in the pocket (especially from his weak side), putting a tad more zip on short passes and generally making faster decisions.

Only time he needs to put more zip on his passes is when defenders are closing in on receivers in the short game. I'm seeing this issue with the 49ers as well. On the other end he passes with touch, wich is great but sometimes you have to sacrifice touch in order to give your receiver a chance at YAC.

I think Beathard can be a long term starter in the NFL with better blocking and weapons. Especially with a little more time on the bench to learn more and work on a couple of his weak spots. I'm happy with the pick at #104.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    When I saw the stat that he was under a 30% completion rate on 20+ yard passes his last two years in college I decided to look at some full games on video. His deep ball accuracy was off in 2015 and 2016. He had better WR's in 2015 and was still floating balls too far, underthrown and many times out of bounds by a tad.

I think his strengths were more so around his anticipation, timing and willingness to exhaust plays. (Sometimes exhausting plays to a fault). I also saw him taking huge hits from not sensing pressure.

Anyway, you're not going to be able to convince me that his deep ball was good/great in college because I've seen it with my own eyes. He has the arm strength, which is good, but accuracy was off and that can be fixed. Some of it may have been from poor WR's but on many of the 20+ yard throws accuracy just wasnt there.

I really liked his overall game. Weakness that can be fixed- deep ball accuracy, sensing pressure in the pocket (especially from his weak side), putting a tad more zip on short passes and generally making faster decisions.

Only time he needs to put more zip on his passes is when defenders are closing in on receivers in the short game. I'm seeing this issue with the 49ers as well. On the other end he passes with touch, wich is great but sometimes you have to sacrifice touch in order to give your receiver a chance at YAC.

I think Beathard can be a long term starter in the NFL with better blocking and weapons. Especially with a little more time on the bench to learn more and work on a couple of his weak spots. I'm happy with the pick at #104.
    His receivers were a lot better in 2015, you are right about that. But, his receivers still did not run good routes at all. They would cut of the route, they would slow down when the ball was in the air (huuuuge issue) or they would flat out drop the balls.

His deep ball is his 2nd best quality to his toughness.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    His receivers were a lot better in 2015, you are right about that. But, his receivers still did not run good routes at all. They would cut of the route, they would slow down when the ball was in the air (huuuuge issue) or they would flat out drop the balls.

His deep ball is his 2nd best quality to his toughness.
    Lol, well, all I can say is I hope I'm wrong and I hope you're right.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234